• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory?

Which is better:

1 Stick - 256Mb PC3200(400MHz) CL3
    -or-
    1 Stick - 512Mb PC2100(266MHz) CL2.5

And is there a way to use to sticks of different speed memory in the same rig?
    Allen: Yeah, you're right.
    Monkerz: I think "that" in its self proves my intelligence greater than yours, thus joo have just been pwnt by Monkerz!

Re: Memory?

Not if your dual channeling. Otherwise in single channel, the motherboard should run all the modules at the slowest rated modules' speed.

Out of those two choices, I'd go with the .5 GB stick, simply because it is double the memory of the DDR400 stick. But then again, what speed are the other sticks of memory in the system now?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

More memory is better, if you can have your cake and eat it, more memory+ speed is also nice. I'd go with the more memory though. 512 can't do much for anyone anymore. 1GB pretty much is the standard.

Comment

Well an extra 512 is quite a bit of memory and would provide a good boost even if he only had 256 right now.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

if its just for internet browsing ya no problem.

Comment

Honestly though, Monkerz, how much memory do you have now and what type and speed is it?
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              Honestly though, Monkerz, how much memory do you have now and what type and speed is it?
              Right now i am running 256 PC3200, i had the other stick and tried it out....it pop programs up faster, but ran them slower. I am goona go all out and buy 2Gb PC3200 friday..Thatll do it!!!
              Monkerz: I think "that" in its self proves my intelligence greater than yours, thus joo have just been pwnt by Monkerz!

Comment

Heh, I guessed you had 256.

Well it's nice to know your getting 2 GBs of RAM. But seeing how old your system is, and that you most likely have a AGP slot, I'd only get 1 GB of RAM. In about 4-6 months, you'd prolly need to build a new system with a PCI-E motherboard.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

But seeing how old your system is, and that you most likely have a AGP slot, I'd only get 1 GB of RAM. In about 4-6 months, you'd prolly need to build a new system with a PCI-E motherboard.
                  I don't believe my system is all that old. Hell, I just bought it acouple of months ago. I just need alittle more memory. I might upgrade to a better machine in the future, but for right now i can hold up to 4 Gigs or ram. Ill just keep on adding if needed...heh..

Thankx

Comment

Hmm, a couple of months ago, eh? Well in that case, check to see if your video card is PCI-E or AGP 8x.

Usually you can tell. If you have a Radeon 9xxx series for example, it means you have AGP, but if you had say a 6800XT, then it could be AGP or PCI-E.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hmm, a couple of months ago, eh? Well in that case, check to see if your video card is PCI-E or AGP 8x.

Usually you can tell. If you have a Radeon 9xxx series for example, it means you have AGP, but if you had say a 6800XT, then it could be AGP or PCI-E.
                      My video card...dont have one. I am using onboard ATI 128Mb. It is all i need, until i get back into CSS again. And i can insert a PCI-E card. I just have a family to provide for, before (the wife) will let me but anything for my rig. :'(

Comment

Oh that explains :D

Hmm, well a $100 7600GS would give you nice framerates in CSS.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yea I'd grab the 7600GS or if you can find a cheap 6600GT (what I have) would work just as well.

Any card that can fit in a PCI-E slot should be able to run CSS well, however. (Avoid cards that use TurboCache though)

Comment

Can you run your ram in dual channel? For me, that made the biggest difference. Go for 2x512.
                            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

He probably can.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X