Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any experience with NewEgg for PC's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any experience with NewEgg for PC's?

I'm thinking of buying a new PC primarily because I'm too lazy to build it myself. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience buying a PC from NewEgg. Here are the two models I'm looking at. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227010

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227011

Edit: link fixed
    Last edited by TG_Bear; 03-11-2007, 11:57 PM.
    “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Re: Anyone have any experience with NewEgg for PC's?

You linked to the same one twice, but it looks overpriced to me. And, it has unnecessary SLI with 7600GSs, an upper low end card these days. You'd have to add at least 1GB of RAM to run things smoothly on Vista, which comes installed (it appears). It probably has 2x512MB sticks of RAM in there (it shows that in the picture too), which means you'll probably want to get two 1GB sticks to fill the two empty slots. So, that's another ~$200. If you get two 512MB sticks to save money upfront, then, if you find you need more RAM later, you'll have to throw two sticks in the garbage.

I also wonder how much that wireless network PCI factors into the price. Would you actually use that feature on a desktop?

I would just build the computer myself. It's not that hard and it doesn't take that long. But, I'm a student and my budget may not be as flexible as yours.

Comment

I fixed the link, the second one is an Intel based model but is very similar.

I appreciate the comments. I'm thinking that I'd be better off with a high end card in non-SLI with another 1Gb of ram. I'm also thinking the power supply might be a bit soft.

Any suggestions for other places to buy a mid-level gaming PC?
      “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Comment

Have you looked at Dell? With all that buying power and manufacturing efficiency, they really do make decent computers for the price.

Here are some other places:
        http://www.velocitymicro.com
        http://www.cyberpowerpc.com

I'd take an Intel Core 2 Duo over AMD's X2 in the same price range any day.

[edit:] Just looked at some dell gaming computers, they aren't so great; and they appear overpriced too.

Comment

Just from my experience..... If you go with a high end AGP card instead of SLI ... you will be stopped at that point. If you decide to go to a better card later, you will find that SLI is all thats available and to get that, you will need a motherboard change.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS. I know I will have to change to SLI to get any big jumps in quality. So ... when I buy my next card ... I ALSO have to buy a motherboard.
          Did anyone ever tell you what a pain in the ass you can be with that gun? -Luckyshot

Comment

If you wanted to buy a iBuyPower machine, you could just customize one for yourself directly on their website: www.ibuypowerpc.com

A few other places you can look are:
            www.abspc.com
            www.cyberpowerpc.com (similiar to iBuyPower, but prices are a little cheaper)
            www.monarchcomputers.com (like Alienware without the gloss, shine, or over bloated prices, but still on the tad bit expensive side in terms of part values)
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I think monarchcomputers went bankrupt.

Comment

:madsmile:

Heh, I'm not surprised. Seems they might have gone bankrupt indeed, or at least that's what everyone thinks.

There's really not many custom pre-build places left for people to look. Most of them have gone the way of ABS PC and Alienware > the glossy unique look and bloated pricing in order to stay in business in the face of "manufacturers" like Dell and Gateway.

Some Alienware like places to look:
                www.voodoopc.com
                Velocity Micro (mentioned 3 posts above)
                www.falcon-nw.com (Falcon Northwest)
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                  Have you looked at Dell? With all that buying power and manufacturing efficiency, they really do make decent computers for the price.

Here are some other places:
                  http://www.velocitymicro.com
                  http://www.cyberpowerpc.com

I'd take an Intel Core 2 Duo over AMD's X2 in the same price range any day.

[edit:] Just looked at some dell gaming computers, they aren't so great; and they appear overpriced too.
                  I'm actually upgrading from one of the original Dell XPS 400's. It's been a solid machine and I've had no issues but the pricing on their new stuff is atrociously high.

Comment

I would say build it your self. It is pretty easy and you will be able to get a much nicer computer.

Comment

Yeah its easy to buy name brand, but your paying so much more for that name to be on there. Building is just to easy, and alot cheaper. I'm not sure how upgradable the newer brand computers are these days. Use to be pretty much ram and harddrive.

Comment

Originally posted by jonan_ View Post
                        I would say build it your self. It is pretty easy and you will be able to get a much nicer computer.
                        Jonan,

The more I surf the more I'm realizing that I can save a lot more if I just build it myself. My challenge is keeping up with the new technology. I don't have the time anymore to research all the new MB's, processors and video cards which is why I was thinking pre-built. It looks to me like I can save about 20% if I just do it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Bear View Post
                          Jonan,

The more I surf the more I'm realizing that I can save a lot more if I just build it myself. My challenge is keeping up with the new technology. I don't have the time anymore to research all the new MB's, processors and video cards which is why I was thinking pre-built. It looks to me like I can save about 20% if I just do it myself.
                          Just make sure you consider the cost of the software if you don't have some other means of obtaining it :) The link you posted said you were willing to spend $1200. For that kind of money you could get something really nice. For example(all you would need to add is a case w/ power supply, hard drive, dvd/cd drive) :

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
                          Model #: GA-965P-DS3
                          Item #: N82E16813128012

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

In Stock
                          $126.99 -$10.00 Instant $116.99

Update EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
                          Model #: 320-P2-N815-AR
                          Item #: N82E16814130038

In Stock
                          $319.99 -$15.00 Instant $304.99

Update Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
                          Model #: BX80557E6600
                          Item #: N82E16819115003

Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

In Stock
                          $313.00 $313.00

Update G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail
                          Model #: F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
                          Item #: N82E16820231098

In Stock
                          $208.99 -$40.00 Instant $168.99
                          Subtotal: $903.97

Comment

If you are going to buy a ready made PC I would get it just like you want it so you don't have to open the case for anything. This is what I did before I started building my own. If you buy a Dell or some other brand name then you will have to buy parts from them as it won't work or won't fit the case.

Then I started upgrading and had all the parts (ex. monitor,keyboard and mice etc.) so I started building my own. There are plenty of sites with step by step instructions on how to build your own. Hope this helps.
                            The Old Guy
                            kin3
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the great feedback gang. As you were posting that I was doing some "shopping" myself and here's what I came up with. The one area I'm concerned about is the life of the mother board. I haven't been paying much attention to the latest tech and I'm thinking/hoping this one will give me some longevity. I downgraded the video card a bit to make up for the additional motherboard cost. My thought was that it's more likely I'll upgrade my card before I upgrade my motherboard .

It's within my budget (it adds up to $1,181) and I think it gets me everything I want with some room to grow. Let me know your thoughts:

Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price
                              1 Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 Power Supply - Retail
                              Model #: SONATA II
                              Item #: N82E16811129155

In Stock
                              Mail-in Rebate
                              $99.99 $99.99
                              1 ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
                              Model #: P5N32-SLI Premium
                              Item #: N82E16813131071

In Stock
                              $214.99 $214.99
                              1 MSI NX7900GS-T2D512E-OC GeForce 7900GS 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Over CLock Edition Video Card - Retail
                              Model #: NX7900GS-T2D512E-OC
                              Item #: N82E16814127277

In Stock
                              $184.99 $184.99
                              1 Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
                              Model #: BX80557E6600
                              Item #: N82E16819115003

Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

In Stock
                              $313.00 $313.00
                              1 Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT12864AA53E - OEM
                              Model #: CT2KIT12864AA53E
                              Item #: N82E16820146569

In Stock
                              $159.99 $159.99
                              2 Western Digital Caviar SE WD1200JS 120GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
                              Model #: WD1200JS
                              Item #: N82E16822144414

Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy

In Stock
                              $53.99 $107.98
                              1 SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model SH-S182D/BEBE - OEM
                              Model #: SH-S182D/BEBE
                              Item #: N82E16827151133

In Stock
                              $30.99 $30.99
                              1 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X