The Role Designers Will Play Building Vista Apps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Role Designers Will Play Building Vista Apps

If you are a software architect or software developer writing business apps, then you know the role UI/UX (User Interface/User Experience) designers currently have on software development teams: they don't. I have been in he industry for quite some time working mostly in Microsoft technologies and I have had a designer on my team exactly once.

I think part of the problem is that the current toolsets do not allow for much of a workflow between developer and designer. So, the interaction is limited to the designer creating some mock-ups in Photoshop, giving it to the developer, and having the developer try to mimic the look and feel as best he can. There are several obvious problems with this scenario. First, the designer is not really helping the developer at all in terms of getting work done. Second, there really isn't much creativity that can be applied to the look and feel of the UI. Although the color scheme can be implemented fairly successfully, anything beyond that is usually impossible at worst and impractical at best. Does he want a round button? Did he design a data grid that has fly-outs? Is the detail information supposed to animate as it slides to the bottom of the screen? None of that is practical when designing apps using .NET 1.1 or 2.0.

Ah, but .NET 3.0 changes the rules. Using 3.0 tools such as Microsoft Blend there can be a useful workflow between the designer and developer. Moreover, a designer can actually create the UI the developer will use rather than creating a mock-up. Creating a unique UI is not only possible, it is fairly easy. So, I think we will begin to see a shift in the role designers play in software development teams and I think we will have higher quality software as a result.

Here is an interesting video of some designers brainstorming on how to improve the user experience in a point of sale system. And here is a great presentation on User Experience, its relavence to developing applications, and how it fits with the business model.
    Last edited by Twisted_Firestarter; 03-15-2007, 03:09 AM.
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Re: The Role Designers Will Play Building Vista Apps

You really confused me. I work as a designer, and I wasn't sure how you could design any applications without at least one of me. Then I realized you were talking about a GUI designer. In my world, user interfaces of any kind are pretty rare, so GUI design is equally rare. The main user interface is called a cell phone, and other companies make those (likely with UI designers). ;)
    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Re: The Role Designers Will Play Building Vista Apps

Originally posted by icky View Post
      You really confused me.
      I edited the post to make it clear I am discussing the role of UI/UX designers. Thanks! :D
      Twisted Firestarter
      a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse