I want a new processor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a new processor

Ok, I am looking to upgrade my current system's CPU to something a bit faster. I do not want to change my MB, just my CPU.

The current chip I have is a EE930, 3.0GHz Dual core 4mb cache, matched with a Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe. The bus on the board is able to handle 1066MHz so a upgrade to newer chip should not be a issue.

What do recommend for a gaming chip? And no I do not want to spend $1000 on a processor!

Thanks!
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: I want a new processor

Your motherboard supports LGA775 chipsets so you can get all the fun Core2Duo chips out there (I'm preaty sure it can support Core2Duo, I'm realy just basing that off memory). For chips under $1000

The e6400 or the e6600. ($222 and $313).

The e6400 is 2.13GHz with a 2MB L2 cache while the e6600 is 2.4GHz with 4MB L2 cache.

I like the e6400 cause it is better price/performance and has good overclockability. I have a e6400 running at 3.3GHz on an aftermarket cooler (Zalman 9500), but you can easily reach 3GHz on the stock cooler.

Not 100% sure on the e6600 overclockability, but I know people get it to 3GHz stock.

After the e6600 prices start to rise exponentially. The e6700 is $522 and runs at 2.66GHz and the x6800 is $970 at 2.93GHz.

I guess it depends if you want to overclock. If not, go with the e6600 (or higher if you have the money).

Comment

Originally posted by Zoopy_T View Post
      Your motherboard supports LGA775 chipsets so you can get all the fun Core2Duo chips out there (I'm preaty sure it can support Core2Duo, I'm realy just basing that off memory). For chips under $1000

The e6400 or the e6600. ($222 and $313).

The e6400 is 2.13GHz with a 2MB L2 cache while the e6600 is 2.4GHz with 4MB L2 cache.

I like the e6400 cause it is better price/performance and has good overclockability. I have a e6400 running at 3.3GHz on an aftermarket cooler (Zalman 9500), but you can easily reach 3GHz on the stock cooler.

Not 100% sure on the e6600 overclockability, but I know people get it to 3GHz stock.

After the e6600 prices start to rise exponentially. The e6700 is $522 and runs at 2.66GHz and the x6800 is $970 at 2.93GHz.

I guess it depends if you want to overclock. If not, go with the e6600 (or higher if you have the money).
      Adding my 2 Ę. Benchies show that the benefit from a 4MB L2 cache is around 5% (gaming applications). So you need to weigh the cost benefit.

DB

ęThat looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.Ľ Donrhos

| |

Comment

Tomshardware overclocked an E6300 with stock cooling and got it to outperform the Core2Duo X6800 Xtreme, so yeah, the E6300 is cheap and you can get solid power from it.

I've mentioned this article before, but here it is again:
        http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/...eme/index.html
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I can overclock the piss out of it, if it allows me. I have a liquid cooling system so heat in not a factor in my seach and purchase. I just feel that the chip I have is underperforming compared to some other hardware in my system. The EE930 I have is running stable @ 3.27ghz but it seems to be hurting on some of the gaming/multimedia apps.

I do like what I am seeing from the links and advice you guys are giving. I think that somewhere in there is a potential canidate- thanks!
          "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I just got my new computer up and running today, and I installed the e6600. So far its extremely well, nice and fast. Love it. I got it for 313$ on newegg.com

Comment

i bought an e6400 best bang for you buck imo.
              Current member of the

Comment

heres alittle article for you to read,,, if you can wait till the 3RD quarter of this year you can make a Killian and save a TON of money and get exactly what you want, and spend A LOT less then you would right now.....
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some sweet deals heading your way for Q3, 6600 Quads for $266!!!

Once again, Intel is hitting AMD by cutting down its prices.
                According to source form Taiwan manufacturer, Intel recently unveiled its updated pricelist for Q3ís processor products. Itís showed that the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 priced at $851 per 1,000 units shipped will experience a big jump of 70% off, putting Quad Core into commonplace.

In the existing plan of price update for Q2, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 has already experienced a large cut from $851 per 1,000 units shipped to $530 on April 22. As to against its rival AMDís new processors effectively, Intel has painfully given up the release of Core 2 Quad Q6400 (2.13GHz/4MB L2 x 2/1066MHz FSB) in Q3. Instead, the company decided to make another cut to Core 2 Quad Q6600, where its price would be as low as $266 per 1,000 units shipped. Meaning this new processor would experience a 68.7% accumulative cut of price since its release in March.

In addition, in order to fill in the gap of Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.66GHz、4MB x 2 L2 Cache、1066MHz FSB), Core 2 Quad Q6700 would be released. The Core 2 Quad Q6700 processor will be priced at $530 per 1,000 units shipped.

Another point that should deserve our attention is that Intel would no longer release any Dual-Core Intel Core 2 Extreme edition. Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800 (2.93GHz/4MB L2 x 2/1066MHz FSB) processor released in Q3 will be the last Dual Core of this series. The Core 2 Extreme QX6800 processor will be priced at $999 per 1,000 units shipped, replacing the original segment of Core 2 Extreme QX6700. On the other hand, although Intelís next-generation Dual Core would has an enhanced FSB to 1333MHz FSB, the next-generation Quad-Core Yorklfield would has 1333MHz only in Extreme edition, while other would still remain in 1066MHz FSB.

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?...me=0&endtime=0

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i will be upgrading to a quad core then, the cost of the quad will be less then what i payed for my dual C2D....... and the best part is when i build this machine i looked ahead and got a quad core MB just in case :)

Comment

I wouldn't hold your breath on the price drop, they are just rumours. If AMD pushes back it's "new chip" there would be no reason to drop prices before hand. Just like Nvidia is waiting for ATI to release its new card before they release their 8900GTX and 8950GX2 cards.

Comment

why would you spend the extra money if you spend 200 dollars for an E6400 and you get the performance of the something that costs nearly 800 dollars more? with stock cooling i might add.
                    Current member of the

Comment

Originally posted by Zid View Post
                      why would you spend the extra money if you spend 200 dollars for an E6400 and you get the performance of the something that costs nearly 800 dollars more? with stock cooling i might add.
                      Maybe he wants the option of working with a higher multiplyer? Intel locks higher multipliers, so to go higher you'd need a chip that supports it.

Comment

I think some people may not be interested in OC'ing either. I did on my last computer (2.6ghz p4 ht) to 2.9ghz. I have not even bothered overclocking this 6600 yet, as I don't think I'd need to right now. It runs pretty flawlessly as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
                          I think some people may not be interested in OC'ing either. I did on my last computer (2.6ghz p4 ht) to 2.9ghz. I have not even bothered overclocking this 6600 yet, as I don't think I'd need to right now. It runs pretty flawlessly as it is.
                          I've seen some differences in load times after overclocking a C2D. Company of Heroes loads a map about 5-10 seconds faster.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Personally, before I bought a C2D i wasn't into OCing. Once I learned how much I could OC it I couldn't resist.
                            Current member of the

Comment

I'm just weary of it now. Besides, I'm on a new brand of motherboard, coming from abit to msi, bios setup is way different, it doesn't have the softmenu that abit has on their boards.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X