No announcement yet.

XP theme quandry

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP theme quandry

I just did a clean re-install of XP Home this week. Totally wiped the HDD and loaded it on. I've gotten all the XP/SP2 updates installed and all the necessary drivers (vid card, sound card, gaming peripheral, etc). This is a bare bones install... just for gaming, so there's nothing but games (which are still installed on the secondary HDD), antivirus/security/etc, and little else.

So my question... why, when I do a cold startup of my rig, does my theme, sound profile, and screensaver/power mode revert back to the default XP selections? I have to manually select Windows Classic (bare bones, no frills, no wallpaper), no sounds (ie, notifications... beeps, and boops, and other garbage), and blank screensaver.

This is the machine I built this past summer. I set it up originally as my all-in-one machine (productivity AND gaming). I later decided to revert my normal productivity stuff back to my previous Dell so to keep the new machine pure for gaming. The gaming rig was getting flaky and in need of a reinstall of XP, so that's how I arrived here.

Apart from the reverting theme, etc, this machine is running beautifully.

Any ideas? My thanks in advance.

Specs, if at all relevant...

Mobo: ASUS P5WD2-E Premium LGA 775 Intel 975X
    CPU: Pentium D 805 2.66Ghz (not overclocked); Zalman cooler
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    Vid: Sapphire Radeon x1800XT 512Mb (current Catalyst driver); Zalman cooler
    Aud: Soundblaster Audigy SE
    System HDD (w/ clean XP re-install): Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb
    Games-only HDD (installed prior to XP refresh): Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb
    Data/backup-only HDD (in use prior to XP refresh): Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb
    Peripheral: Logitech G25 (wheel/pedal/shifter combo)
    Last edited by Mirfee; 03-23-2007, 04:23 PM.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed