Problems w/new X1950 AGP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems w/new X1950 AGP

Some strange things have been happening since I installed the GECUBE X1950 Pro AGP. For example: When on the desktop yesterday, a window came up from my anti-virus program giving its usual warning when opening up a game. (Kaspersky does this for any online game like BF2 so you have to disable it). Things kind of locked up. When I tried to move the warning window it was like spreading a deck of cards across my desktop-- with the window duplicating itself. I know there is a technical name for it but don't know what it is. I had to shut down manually.

Overall my computer just seems more temperamental.

In games, specifically BF2, I get glitchy performance even when lowering the settings to medium. I heard great things about this card but I'm missing my Nvidia 6800gs already.

Is it the card, a bottleneck with the 2.8 processor, or the psu not cuttin' it?

System: D8300 2.8 cpu
    4x512 Kingston memory
    160gb SATA HD
    80gb IDE HD
    GECUBE X1950 Pro AGP
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 410-Dell
    Lite-on CD ROM
    NEC DVD burner

Re: Problems w/new X1950 AGP

Driver conflict of some sort? Did you remove all the nvidia drivers before installing the ati ones?

Comment

Can you post:

Driver version
      Settings ( in your Catalyst control panel, all of them).

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Yes...I removed all the old drivers first. I will uninstall the new ATI drivers and re-install them if anyone thinks that is worth a try.

The other thing I 'm concerned about is the psu. I've read a lot about these X1950's being power hungry and the requirements on many of the manufacturer websites indicate 450W on a 30amp rail. But contrary user reviews can also be found. PC Power & Cooling has stated that the 410 will take anything you can throw at it with regard to AGP cards. Its 23amp on a single rail.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rammajamma View Post
          Yes...I removed all the old drivers first. I will uninstall the new ATI drivers and re-install them if anyone thinks that is worth a try.

The other thing I 'm concerned about is the psu. I've read a lot about these X1950's being power hungry and the requirements on many of the manufacturer websites indicate 450W on a 30amp rail. But contrary user reviews can also be found. PC Power & Cooling has stated that the 410 will take anything you can throw at it with regard to AGP cards. Its 23amp on a single rail.

Thanks
          Don't install the 7.2., they are buggy. Get the 7.1 version.

Your PSU should be fine.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

sorry DB...we must have been writing at the same time earlier. The version I have is 8.291. I just used the driver that came with it and then when updated through device manager it told me I have the most recent version.

thanks

Comment

sorry DB...we must have been writing at the same time earlier. The version I have is 8.291. I just used the driver that came with it and then when updated through device manager it told me I have the most recent version.

thanks
              ATI numbering is strange. Device man only tells you about the installed drivers. The one you have is Catalyst 6.9 (8.291). How about your settings ?

DB

| |

Comment

My settings in display properties are:

Screen resolution: 1024X768
                Color quality: highest (32 bit)

Why under display does it show:

1. Radeon X1950 Series
                2. (Default monitor) on Radeon X1950 Series Secondary

Comment

1. Radeon X1950 Series
                  Did you install the Catalyst Control Centre ? (right click on the desktop, the first item on the popup should be «Catalyst Control Centre». Open it in advanced mode, go to 3D, all settings). If you want, I could meet you on TS (whatever channel you want) in about an hour.

1. Radeon X1950 Series
                  Depending on where you connected your monitor, it will show primary or secondary).

DB
                  Last edited by Dick Blonov; 03-25-2007, 10:07 PM.

| |

Comment

also Blon what is his speed on the memory,,,, i ahd that issue with my x600 in my old machine,,, and thats what the prob waz,, i waz only running 1 stick of pc 3200 and i needed another stick and everything waz fine....

still couldnt run everything on high though..... if its happening on the desktop id check your mem also.

PS: also with that card sucking as much power as it does,,, what else is running off the PSU ?????

the power supply may NOT be big enough to handle the box and the vid card both....

everything together may just be to much for the PSU

Comment

I don't think 410 W is enough for what you're using. I'd upgrade to atleast a 550 W PSU. I got mine for under $30 at a local shop, and it's been great. When I upgraded from my ATI 8500 to my GeForce 6800GT, I had similar wierdness and crashes. I swapped out the PSU and that fixed everything.
                      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Yeah I'm wondering about the psu also. Cap my memory is Kingston 4X512 3200 CL3. See my specs above. I had read 450w psu minimum w/ 30 amps (12v) but today I pulled out the manual to the gecube and it actually said 500w is recommended. I read this review on Newegg which made me feel confident that my psu was fine:

I chose the gecube because it has a copper heat spreader on the rear of the card. it makes contact with the rear of the gpu, no other x1950pro agp card does this that i saw. heat has been an issue repeatedly with this model but not for me. the heat spreader gets warm to the touch with the case open and i have not had an issue with heat with the case closed. it came with a 6 pin adapter and it works with my 420w/18a psu. it fits in a single slot. price after rebate is almost as low as it gets for this model. i have had 2 other gecube models without problems.

Sorry I missed that last post DB. I wish I could have jumped on. If you have time this week let me know and I'll hop on teamspeak whenever you're available. Tomorrow night (Monday) I will be gone until about 6:30 p.m. pst.

Thanks again you guys.
                        Last edited by rammajamma; 03-26-2007, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Yeah Cap I'm wondering about the psu also. My memory is Kingston 4X512 3200 CL3. See my specs above. I had read 450w psu minimum w/ 30 amps (12v) but today I pulled out the manual to the gecube and it actually said 500w is recommended. I read this review on Newegg which made me feel confident that my psu was fine:

I chose the gecube because it has a copper heat spreader on the rear of the card. it makes contact with the rear of the gpu, no other x1950pro agp card does this that i saw. heat has been an issue repeatedly with this model but not for me. the heat spreader gets warm to the touch with the case open and i have not had an issue with heat with the case closed. it came with a 6 pin adapter and it works with my 420w/18a psu. it fits in a single slot. price after rebate is almost as low as it gets for this model. i have had 2 other gecube models without problems.

Sorry I missed that last post DB. I wish I could have jumped on. If you have time this week let me know and I'll hop on teamspeak whenever you're available. Tomorrow night (Monday) I will be gone until about 6:30 p.m. pst.

Thanks again you guys.
                          If my calculations are right, that would be 9:30 PM my time (DST).

That would work.

DB

| |

Comment

Thanks DB! Hope you don't mind helping me out that late. I will be stopping by my house in between commitments so I'll check and see if your logged on. Otherwise I will be on at 6:30 pdt for sure (I accidentally put pst before). Did Canada go on daylight savings time early like we did?

Comment

Thanks DB! Hope you don't mind helping me out that late. I will be stopping by my house in between commitments so I'll check and see if your logged on. Otherwise I will be on at 6:30 pdt for sure (I accidentally put pst before). Did Canada go on daylight savings time early like we did?
                              yep.

If you have a chance, verify the agp aperture setting in BIOS is set to 256Mb.

DB

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X