Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add or Remove Programs - Windows - trying to remove a game!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add or Remove Programs - Windows - trying to remove a game!

I'm trying to remove a game from my PC. In Windows, I've gone to the Control Panel section then to Add and Remove Programs.

I go to the game and click on "Remove". Nothing happens. I click on remove and nothing happens, the game is not removed. It's like it's stuck.

The remove works on other games, as I just removed a few demos and some others.

I'm trying to remove Oblivion so I can reload and see if that corrects my sound problem.

Any thoughts on removing?
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Add or Remove Programs - Windows - trying to remove a game!

Why not try the game's uninstaller?

Comment

If the uninstaller doesn't work, try reinstalling on top of the old install. If you still have the sound problems after the reinstall, then try to uninstall again via Add/Remove programs and give the install another shot. Tedious I know, but it should work.

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

If you can't do a reinstall, delete the game folder and try uninstalling the entry in the Windows remove programs list. It won't find the game's uninstaller and remove it from the list. The game installer should be able to install again after that.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I've installed the DVD and hit "Uninstall" I then get the message -

"The Oblivion Launcher could not find the uninstall program. Run the setup.exe on the Oblivion install disc to uninstall."

Any thoughts?
          |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
          - I'm on the local news!

Comment

OK, certain games or programs might leave footprints that don't want to wash away. The game is technically uninstalled so you can not play it, try double checking to make sure the folder is gone. I usually run regedit and then type in the name of the game and/or the company it is listed under. I delete the registry entries that deeal with that game and only that game. If you are in doubt about deleting it, leave it alone(no need to mess the computer up totally). You could even try using a free program such as CCLEANER and using it's registry cleaner but same thing only delete the registry entries that deal with the game. I check one box at a time when using this program and read everything before deleting, you could also make a backup of the entries you are deleting just in case you mess up. What happened was the registry value for the game did not get removed for the Add/Remove Programs.
            Hope this helps you out without confusing you or causing you to mess your computer up. Messing with Windows registry can have your computer all messed up if you are not careful, I'd make backups just in case.

Comment

What happens when you run setup.exe from the disc?
              |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin View Post
                What happens when you run setup.exe from the disc?
                Sorry all, I'm struggling here: How do I run setup.exe?
                |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Try to open the DVD from "My Computer" by right-clicking the drive icon and hit Open
                  |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin View Post
                    Try to open the DVD from "My Computer" by right-clicking the drive icon and hit Open
                    I loaded the DVD - went to My Computer - right clicked on Oblivion - menu dropped down and hit open.

Opens to a list

DXREDIST
                    autorun
                    data1
                    data1.hdr
                    data2

all the way down to setup.isn

I right click and hit delete on any of the icons and I get the message:

"Cannot delete setup: The disk is writer protected.
                    Remove the writer protection or use another disk."

Hmmm..
                    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                    - I'm on the local news!

Comment

I think you're supposed to run setup.exe not attempt to delete the files from the DVD.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I'll look at my obliviion disk and give you the full path to the setup.exe file... what drive letter is assigned to your DVD drive?

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

I'm having the same problem with Oblivion since I installed the new patch but I didn't try to remove it for more than 5 minutes or so. I wasn't planning on playing it again until I got a new video card and Shivering Isles.

Maybe I'll try again.
                          sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...