No announcement yet.

WoW Reboots

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WoW Reboots

Has anyone else been having World of Warcraft (WoW) crashes (all the way back to system reboot)?

My problem is ONLY in WoW...and associated with video card (nVidia 7900GTX)...and started after the last patch (3/9/2007).

There is some forum chatter on the 'net about this being WoW usage of Directx9c that doesn't work well with the nVidia drivers for this GPU class, but nothing overwhelming.

When I try to play my priest, the system crashes every 2-5 minutes. On my shaman, every 30-40 min or so. On my warrior (knock on wood!), rarely. Go figure!

First the screen freezes (though music continues) for 30-60 sec, then it unfreezes for 1-2 sec, then it may repeat...then reboots the whole system. The BSOD doesn't appear anymore (since I updated the video drivers), it just reboots.

A. I've had ZERO incidents of this before the last patch (It could be coincidence).
    B. My whole system is new (last summer) Core2Duo 6600, 2 GB, Asus P5W DH Mobo and historically a rock steady performer.
    C. I've updated Video driver AND Directx9c code.
    D. I've adjusted video settings in hardware and WoW from one extreme to the other with no apparent difference in the crashing phenomenon.
    E. Video card temps are steady at 50-55 degrees.
    F. I've made no changes to the system other than the driver updates.

Out of desperation, I've ordered an ATI graphics card (x1950xt) to see if that resolves things, but I'm checking to see if others here have had similar occurrences.

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Re: WoW Reboots

Received and installed an ATI x1950xt Video Card (replacing nVidia 7900gtx) with the result that the problem is gone. My system is completely stable (again).

What is still unknown to me is whether the problems with the nVidia card were (a) software/driver related or (b) a by-product of some hardware deterioration in the Video Card. Since other games seemed ok, I suspect (a).

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed