Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix for scratched CD/DVD

The miracle cure is Brasso.

Yep, the same stuff you use to polish metal.

I read this hear. Looked like somebody actually did some real life tests so I gave it a shot.

My daughter had two gamecube games that I thought where beyond repair. But now they play.

The trick is to rub really, and I mean really, hard. Ignore the thousands of tiny scratches this leaves. The trick is to buff out the sharp edges so the laser does not refract to much. Sometimes it takes two or three tries.

If you have any disks you thought where beyond repair give it a shot.
    Last edited by El_Gringo_Grande; 03-30-2007, 09:15 PM.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Fix for scratched CD/DVD

Toothpaste might be a better option! It's a mild abrasive and does the trick. It can also be used on watch faces (plastic faces).

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I've restored CDs using:

- Brasso/Silvo
      - Buffing compound (what you use on cars!)
      - Toothpaste
      - Vim
      - Baking soda

Windex also works for scum on rental DVDs.

Or spend more $ and buy a CD/DVD restoring kit :row__540:

Ruining them is easier :madsmile:

DB

ęThat looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.Ľ Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
        Toothpaste might be a better option! It's a mild abrasive and does the trick. It can also be used on watch faces (plastic faces).
        The link I pointed to showed the toothpaste is not good for fixing deep scratches. Some other sites I found said toothpaste works for cleaning the surface really well. Some said to use toothpaste after using the Brasso/buffing compound to make it a bit shinier.

But the kind of scratch I fixed was really deep. If you ran your fingernail across it would catch. And it was circular (a rock or something had gotten in the gamecube and it wore a groove into the disk as it spun.)

The other disk had indentions caused by a puppty chewing on it. The surface had a bunch of little pits.

Both fixed.

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
        I've restored CDs using:

- Brasso/Silvo
        - Buffing compound (what you use on cars!)
        - Toothpaste
        - Vim
        - Baking soda
        I did read on other sites about the buffing compound, which is basically what brasso/silvo is, a very fine abrasive.

Baking soda? Hmm, will try that next time just to see.

But what is Vim?
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
          The link I pointed to showed the toothpaste is not good for fixing deep scratches. Some other sites I found said toothpaste works for cleaning the surface really well. Some said to use toothpaste after using the Brasso/buffing compound to make it a bit shinier.

But the kind of scratch I fixed was really deep. If you ran your fingernail across it would catch. And it was circular (a rock or something had gotten in the gamecube and it wore a groove into the disk as it spun.)

The other disk had indentions caused by a puppty chewing on it. The surface had a bunch of little pits.

Both fixed.

I did read on other sites about the buffing compound, which is basically what brasso/silvo is, a very fine abrasive.

Baking soda? Hmm, will try that next time just to see.

But what is Vim?

An abrasive bathtub cleaner :)

I agree with Sarc, in the end toothpaste does the job (and smells nicer:))

DB

ęThat looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.Ľ Donrhos

| |

Comment

Vim doesn't exist in the US? Weird...

The CD/DVD restoring kits should be pretty good. It might have some sort of scratch filler so there's less buffing needed.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
              Vim doesn't exist in the US? Weird...

The CD/DVD restoring kits should be pretty good. It might have some sort of scratch filler so there's less buffing needed.
              You are probably right but a bottle of Brasso is 3.24. Those cleaning kits are about $10. A guy at work says he has success with this thing. But it is $20 and you have to replace the pads after about 9 disks. And it doesn't work with gamecube disks.

I put toothpaste to the test last night. Spongbob the movie was at the bottom of my sons toybox. The menu came up but that was about it.

After thirty minutes of toothpaste scrubing the movie would play but with very bad skipping/pausing. One of the scenes won't play at all.

One application of Brasso and the movie plays with only two skips that I can see.

Comment

it's a buffer i've used it it's good.
                Current member of the

Comment

My work (Hastings "Movie Rentals") has a 5HP buffer (Industrial = More power). It takes out stucco scratches (They skip, but they play to some extent, which allows us to send them back to the vendor for a replacement). Sure a $3000 dollar buffer would be nice to have in everyhome, but for $1.99 you can use one too, see if a hastings is in your area, it's pretty sure to work. (My store uses a high grade compound with the buffer also, but i dont think its forced since on in a town not to far from here doesnt).

At home i use Toothpaste and Peanut Butter.
                  Oyee

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X