Flashing BIOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashing BIOS

So my new comp should be here in a day or two and I have been reading on newegg that it may come with version F9 of the BIOS...where F10 is the latest.

So I have downloaded it from Gigabytes website, I was just wondering do I just throw it on a CD, do I have to make the CD bootable? If so how do I do that.

I saw on tomshardware they used a bootable flash drive, which I tried to make mine bootable using the HP Tool http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/20306.html
    Only problem is it asks for "DOS system files" and to create these you need a floopy disk. Which I do not have.

Thanks

Re: Flashing BIOS

first things, check to see what the new update actually does. If its nothing major or anything you would need then dont try it. You mis-flash your bios and your MB is screwd.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Almost all of the mobos nowadays have a bios flash utility in them where you can do it through windows. Look at the utilities for your mobo and it should list it if it has the function available.
      sigpic

Comment

If it's a Gigabyte 965P you can flash from within windows for sure (as that's the model I have. I'm sure it's the same for all newer gigabyte mobos. You probably should download the latest version of @BIOS from their website though.

HTH

Comment

Yeah, I think the DS3 BIOS flasher is called @BIOS. It's a very simple procedure. The motherboard has a backup BIOS too in case something goes wrong.

You probably don't have to flash the BIOS since you'll have a much later production build. Most versions after F5 are pretty good. Users have been flashing to see if it improves overclocks, not to fix issues.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I encourage all forms of flashing.

Comment

Hmmm I was under the impression that you should flash your bios before installing an OS, drivers, or anything of the sort. This not the case? ya and i do have the Giagbyte P965 D3

I don't know zoopy there is some flashing I rather not be apart of

Comment

You only flash the BIOS if you need something fixed. The early DS3 boards had problems with RAM that required 2.1V because the DS3 would default to 1.8V. You couldn't change the RAM voltage because you couldn't boot and you need to boot into the BIOS settings to change the voltage.

Your board should have that fixed since it'll have a more recent BIOS version.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

F10 "Enhance FSB frequency flexibility " acording to the website. Which is kinda vauge, but I do plan on overclocking...so dunno if it will be important to me or not.

Comment

Usually its good to get the latest BIOS before overclocking.

Comment

I have the same motherboard and I recently flashed my bios from windows and didn't have any problems. I did it because I was having troule with my x-fi soundcard and the updated bios fixed the problem. I would totally recomend doing it.
                      In case you are unaware when you are at the bios screen ctrl+F1 opens up more tweaking options for overclocking, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RedTalon View Post
                        F10 "Enhance FSB frequency flexibility " acording to the website. Which is kinda vauge, but I do plan on overclocking...so dunno if it will be important to me or not.
                        I have the same board except it's revision 2.0 (I think?), and I currently have a 50% overclock on air cooling (and stock voltages too whoooo!). However, any bios over F7 was giving me occasional troubles on reboot by reseting my overclock settings. But if things are running then all is good. BUT, I too am having trouble with my X-Fi with F7 where it's not recognized when I reboot. So there is joy and there is sorrow.

I think the enhanced FSB frequency fix was for the later released 4300's and the quad cores.

Also, these boards are great for overclocking....good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jonan_ View Post
                          I have the same motherboard and I recently flashed my bios from windows and didn't have any problems. I did it because I was having troule with my x-fi soundcard and the updated bios fixed the problem. I would totally recomend doing it.
                          In case you are unaware when you are at the bios screen ctrl+F1 opens up more tweaking options for overclocking, etc.

same here did mine yesterday,, seen asus had a update out for the L-A-1 stepping CPU's and updated,,, seen some nice increases in my CPU performance.

i guess you can say its not always something you need to do only if your having a problem that a bios update can fix,,, otherwise its not necessary

also did mine through windows

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X