Building a new rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a new rig

Here is my wishlist for a sorely needed new rig. With the upcoming price drop on Intel C2D's, I plan to make this purchase soon after (4/22 is the reported date).

ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

GIGABYTE 3D AURORA GZ-FSCA1-ANB Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail

Only thing missing is a PSU that can handle everything here. My plan is to OC to 3.2GHz which should be well with the range of this setup. I've seen plenty of good info here and if anyone has any suggestions, please do tell!
    "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
    EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
    PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Re: Building a new rig

I'd say for the price of that motherboard you could get a SLI setup that has dual x16 slots for better performance down the road (If you decide to upgrade at a later date). Here is a Asus 650i Plus MB that has dual x16 slots for like $196, and it proves to be a better performer over the 975X (And still has support for the future 1333Mhz FSB). But I also read up on a few things and found that there's a Evga 680i mobo for $210 and the 680i LT boards are going well below $200... Nvidia's chipset(s) is (In benchmarks) faster than the 975X chipset with more options too.
    Oyee

Comment

i have the asus 650i mb and its fine,,, even comes with quad core support :) which i will have if the prices come down,,, i also have the E6600 core duo and love it :)

Comment

I woulde say up the video card, but I am a whore for that :(

Comment

I based the MB off of this post regarding OC'ing the 6600.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardw...ict197995.html

SLI is not something I'll be doing, I don't see a need at this point (or in the near future to run dual 8800's). So that being said, are the 680i board as easy to OC as the 975 I picked out?

Is there really a justification to upgrade the top of the line 8800 video card? I can't see it for the extra $200 they want.
          "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
          EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
          PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Comment

I have a eVGA 680i and it overclocks nicely.
            Last edited by Zoopy; 04-04-2007, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Banyan View Post
              Is there really a justification to upgrade the top of the line 8800 video card? I can't see it for the extra $200 they want.
              Look at the benchmark tests done on the cards, I know tomshardware has a couple. That will give you numbers, and FPS to see if it is worth it or not. But it basically comes down to how much extra cash you have, or in my case don't have ut imagine you do anyways.

Comment

A GTX would be worth it if you're gaming on a huge monitor with high resolutions. From something like 1280x1024 or even 1600x1200, a GTS 640MB or 320MB will be sufficient.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

My opinion with the vid. card is simply to buy something that'll run the software you think you'll use. If you want to run FSX on full settings, then you'll need a GTX (maybe even two). Early versions of Crysis are showing the same need.

Yes boys, we WILL have software this year that'll use this stuff. The GTS is nice, but the GTX vastly improves over it in benchmarks. Literally, ONE GTX is better than ANY other dual-gpu setups. It's just that badass from what I've been reading.

My plan is to get one (a GTX) now while they're a bit pricey and make sure my case and mobo will handle adding another down the road... like WAY down the road.

If you DO plan on getting the GTX, make sure your case can fit it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X