1 External HDD for 2 PC's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 External HDD for 2 PC's?

I just recently got a 1TB external hard drive and would like to set it up so that 2 PC's can access data and write data to it. How would I go about setting something like this up? Both PC's are connected to a network, but I don't want this particular HD to be put on the network. I just want to hardwire the 2 PC's to the HD so that only the 2 PC's will see the drive. Thanks...

Claw
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Re: 1 External HDD for 2 PC's?

I'm not aware of any solution that will do this other than some sort of network attached storage device. Numerous companies make them but they all plug into your network and are shared between the computers that you attach to them rather than being directly-attached.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer View Post
      I just recently got a 1TB external hard drive and would like to set it up so that 2 PC's can access data and write data to it. How would I go about setting something like this up? Both PC's are connected to a network, but I don't want this particular HD to be put on the network. I just want to hardwire the 2 PC's to the HD so that only the 2 PC's will see the drive. Thanks...

Claw

Only thing you could do is put it on one of the PCs share it with that other you are wanting to use it with and then set network permissions between the 2. Takes some time to get setup but would work like you want.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Something like this may work for you if it is USB:
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817422003

I didn't research if it will work with Hard Drives.
        Retired 6th DB

Comment

Thanks for the tips and info guys. I'll check and see what I can do when I have some time later this week :)
          |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
          [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...