Your best rig for under 1000$

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your best rig for under 1000$

Ill be building a rig for my bro-in-law in the coming month or two and while I have casualy selected a build from newegg, Im no expert.

So, I challenge you (Great denizens of TG!) to build a complete rig from newegg with these criteria in mind.

800-1000$ (if there is money left after the tower he could buy a flatpanel monitor)

He already owns a nice mouse/ keyboard and has a 20"crt monitor.

He is a gamer and AutoCAD user.

No preference in the AMD/Intel or Nvidia/ATI categories.

No or few LEDs on/in the case...it will be in his bedroom (Quiet would be nice also im shure.)

More info can be provided if needed.

Re: Your best rig for under 1000$

I started to build one and then got sick when I saw how much prices had dropped and gave up. :P

Comment

i look forward to reading this every month, and I can't find a better system guide than this - http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200703.ars

Three different flavors - Budget Box, Hot Rod, God Box.

Comment

cool link, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by freekyE View Post
          No or few LEDs on/in the case...it will be in his bedroom (Quiet would be nice also im shure.)
          I'll keep my comments specific to the case. I was running an X-Dreamer II with 5 case fans and it was quite loud. I was looking for something simple, professional and fairly cheap.

I found this...

http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos...duct_id=253819

$50 after rebate. I picked one up at the local Micro Center yesterday and am VERY impressed.

I'm running the included 120mm exhaust fan and I picked up 1 92mm intake fan for the front. Only LED is a classy blue one for HDD activity. Compared to the X-Dreamer II it's about 1/4 as loud (the case has padding on the sides and top) and it dropped my case temp by 15 degrees and my CPU temp by 20 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin View Post
            I'll keep my comments specific to the case. I was running an X-Dreamer II with 5 case fans and it was quite loud. I was looking for something simple, professional and fairly cheap.

I found this...

http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos...duct_id=253819

$50 after rebate. I picked one up at the local Micro Center yesterday and am VERY impressed.

Never had a problem with Antec. They have a very good lineup.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

It was hard to pass up for $50 after rebate. I read a bunch of reviews yesterday morning and picked it up at lunch.

freekyE, that Micro Center rebate is good until 4/29/07. Looks like that case (Antec Solo) is out of stock at Newegg and doesn't include the rebate but Newegg does have a bunch of good pictures of it.

Comment

For sound suppression go with 120mm case fans. They aren't nearly as loud. Most fans have the sound level published.
                Retired 6th DB

Comment

The Antec Solo has a 120mm exhaust and up to 2 92mm intake on the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Boulderdash View Post
                    I started to build one and then got sick when I saw how much prices had dropped and gave up. :P
                    Price cuts coming this month for both AMD and Intel. I would suggest waiting a bit longer and get an even better processor for the same amount of money you were willing to spend.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=198700900

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin View Post
                      The Antec Solo has a 120mm exhaust and up to 2 92mm intake on the front.

I have the Antec Sonata II case and its very quite, 120mm rear exuast fan in rear, havent added any more yet, cpu at idel is 38c and mobo is the same.

Comment

On April 22, Intel is slated to announce a 40 percent price cut on its current quad-core processors and significant drop on Core 2 Duos, channel sources said.
                        WOW! 40% is a very signifigant price drop. While i still dont think i can put a quad core in teh machine even at 400$ its still nice to know that the two companies are being competitive. Ill probly make shure to spend a little more and get an upper level mobo that will support a quad core if he later wants to upgrade. (who wouldnt?)

This is great news since he wont be building for a month or maybe two.

Comment

A lot of motherboards support quad core. Even my DS3 that I bought in Aug 2006 supports quad core.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by freekyE View Post
                            WOW! 40% is a very signifigant price drop. While i still dont think i can put a quad core in teh machine even at 400$ its still nice to know that the two companies are being competitive. Ill probly make shure to spend a little more and get an upper level mobo that will support a quad core if he later wants to upgrade. (who wouldnt?)

This is great news since he wont be building for a month or maybe two.
                            40% cut means they are still 600 dollars.
                            Current member of the

Comment

Thanks for the math lesson. My point was, for this build 250$ is about the max Ill spend on a processor.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X