X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning thermal grease

So I just got the Freezer 7 Pro
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186134

Turns out it comes with pre applied thermal paste, a little block of it on the bottom. Which I want to get rid of and put on some arctic silver 5. To remove the paste that is on there you are chip most of it off, but then it is recomended (on arctic silvers website) that you clean it off with a solvent.

Well I don't want to have to wait for a package to arrive with thier solvent. So you can also use Isopropyl Alcohol. So my question is where is likely to have this? Or another generic store that has safe solvents that I could get quickly and use.

Re: Cleaning thermal grease

Isopropyl Alcohol? Um. A grocery store? Drug store? Walmart? Gas station convinence store? 7-11?

Comment

I was under the impression the only kind they sell at drugstores is "70% isopropyl Rubbing alcohol" which is not what I want. As that is not really isopropyl alcohol despite the name.

Comment

It's pretty hard to find 100% isopropyl alcohol. That's mainly used in scientific experiments. What's so bad about 70%? The rest is distilled water. That's what people typically use as a solvent. I think that's just what people refer to when they talk about isopropyl alcohol. They just mean the stuff you can pick up in a drug store.

Comment

I know this sounds odd, but I used brake cleaner (car break cleaner). Not sure if it has any negative effects, but I sprayed some into a cup and used Q-Tips to wipe off the grease. Works well since it is designed to get oil and grease off your breaks, also evaporates so it dries itself.

Comment

Yeah, you want some sort of alcohol that will evaporate quickly. The 70% isopropyl alcohol should be good enough.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Talked to arctic silvers tech support, the guy there said you can probably find like 90% IPA and to use that. Although the 70% I am sure would work, I am just worried they are mixing in other things and it is not just IPA and water.

Comment

I just picked up some 91% alc. at the local Walgreens and it worked like a charm.

Comment

cool...think that is what I will hunt for then.

Comment

yeh 90 is not too hard to find.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

91% Isopropanol is what I use, hasn't failed me yet.

BTW, let me know how it works RedTalon.. I bought one last year but haven't installed it yet ;)

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Will do, from what I have read on newegg reviews it works pretty awesome paired up with arctic silver 5. Using the stock grease gives mixed results.

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino View Post
                          91% Isopropanol is what I use, hasn't failed me yet.

BTW, let me know how it works RedTalon.. I bought one last year but haven't installed it yet ;)
                          That is the monster I put in my computer. I don't have my processor overclocked so it pretty much overkill. It runs about the same temp as my roomates who has the same processor. I think the real benefits of it come when you start overclocking. It certainly looks cool though.

Comment

For removing thermal paste I typically use some of the artic clean that is made by the same great people who make AS5. This stuff works great and you can have old thermal paste taken off a HSF in about 5 min and be ready to put the AS5 on the heatsink. The best part about it is that it smells like oranges.

As for Iso alcohol it is fairly easy to find the 90% stuff at a local drugstore or grocery store.
                            -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

You might want to try it with the stock grease. I used it for a long time and ended up with the same temps as when I switched to AS5. I'm running an 4000 San Diego at 2.88.

Also, 90% Iso is fine.

KZ17
                              [combat]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse