Video Card opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card opinions

I'm looking at upgrading my PCIe card from a NVIDIA Geforce 6800 to something more current, preferably less than $200. I will not be upgrading my mobo or anything else right now as the system still has 600+ days of warranty. Plus I just don't have the money I would like to have right now to blow on my dream system, so dual SLI and the like is out of the question, as is the Geforce 8800 and such.

My current top pick is the XFX GeForce 7900GS. Does anyone have any experience with this brand or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

-lorax

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Re: Video Card opinions

I know you already counted this out but I would wait until you can afford and 8800. It is only another $80 it is twice the performance and if you want to go to vista in the next 600 days you will be ready.

Comment

I have a 7900GS and the performance is great (well, until the card died a few days ago). I'd wait until the new nVidia GPUs hit the market around 4/17 and see what effect it has on some of the other graphics cards.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino View Post
        I have a 7900GS and the performance is great (well, until the card died a few days ago). I'd wait until the new nVidia GPUs hit the market around 4/17 and see what effect it has on some of the other graphics cards.

How much are those new cards going to cost? Does anyone know? I've still got 70 days left on my step-up program I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
          How much are those new cards going to cost? Does anyone know? I've still got 70 days left on my step-up program I believe.
          I'm looking to upgrade as well, and have been scouring the net for info on the new nvidia and ati cards.

I could be wrong, but I have not seen any credible information on the prices. All the info I can find online all originated from a single article on the inquirer, and IMHO their reliability is pretty suspect.

www tweaktown com/news/7055/geforce_8900gtx_and_8950gx2_pricing_and_informatio n/index.html

(sorry, replace the spaces with dots in the obvious places..still can't post links)

taken with a huge grain of salt.

That being said, if you upgrade to a 7900 now, Lorax, you'll be kicking yourself later. Almost certainly they will introduce a better card at around the same price point, hopefully soon.

Comment

here you go...

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/7055/g...ion/index.html

There always has and always will be a better card just over the horizon. If I wait to purchase based on that I could make the same argument later on... That being said, I am looking to purchase in May sometime, but might wait it out until the end of the quarter and see how prices adjust...

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

Which one of those are going to actually replace the 8800GTS, and also being better?

Its obvious which ones replacing the GTX models, since it says that.

Comment

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4723

NVIDIA is set to launch mainstream 8600GTS (G84-400) and 8600GT (G84-300) as well as 8500GT (G86-300) on 17th of April. GeForce 8600GTS and 8600GT will have 256MB GDDR3 memories onboard and sports 128-bit memory interface but no HDMI yet. GeForce 8600GTS is meant to replace 7950GT and 7900GS while 8600GT to replace 7600GT and 8500GT to replace 7600GS.

8600GTS will be clocked at 700MHz core / 2GHz memory and comes with dual D-DVI, HDTV, HDCP but requires external power. 8600GTS will be priced between US$199-$249. Another mainstream model, the 8600GT will be clocked at 600MHz core / 1.4GHz memory and has 2 variants; one with HDCP (G84-300) and the other without (G84-305). This model doesn't requires an external power. 8600GT will be priced between US$149-$169.

The last model meant for budget segment is actually a G84 core but downgraded to meet the value segment pricing structure. The 8500GT will be clocked at 450MHz core / 800MHz 256MB DDR2 memory and comes in 2 variants; one with HDCP (G86-300) and the other without HDCP (G86-305). 8500GT will be priced between US$79 to US$99. Towards end of April, we can expect NVIDIA to release GeForce 8300GS for the budget market to replace 7300 series.

The NVIDIA 80nm G84 and G86 line-up will meet head on with ATi's DX10 65nm offerings where mainstream RV630 is slated to arrive in May and value RV610 is slated to arrive earlier in April.

Comment

OK. here is a benchmark for the 8600 GTS:

www vr-zone com/?i=4883&s=1

(linked below....thanks tau_neutrino!)

I am starting to believe.

Comment

linkified: www.vr-zone.com/?i=4883&s=1

Comment

I have a evga 7800gt (clocked at gpu/mem 485/1115) which I am pretty happy with. I play 2142 with shadows on med and everything else on high and get an avg fps in low 50s at 1280 x 1024. this is coupled with an amd64 4000+ overclocked to 2.6 ghz. I could lower my settings in game for more fps, but I like the eye candy. it rarely dips below 40. my 3dmark06 score is 4000.
                      Last edited by sc1ence; 04-10-2007, 02:10 AM.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/04/...ney/page3.html

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
                          Which one of those are going to actually replace the 8800GTS, and also being better?

Its obvious which ones replacing the GTX models, since it says that.
                          The new cards are the lower end models. Yours will be better than any of them. If you want to step up, you mgiht as well just grab the 640MB version of the GS. That is if you're unahppy with the performance you're getting from your current card...
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                            The new cards are the lower end models. Yours will be better than any of them. If you want to step up, you mgiht as well just grab the 640MB version of the GS. That is if you're unahppy with the performance you're getting from your current card...

Well the link Zoopy posted to tomshardware, shows that 640mb has little to gain in performance over the 320mb. If I stepped up, I'd just go GTX I guess.

Comment

The memory between the 8800GTSs really only applies to high resolutions.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X