setting up raid (first time)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting up raid (first time)

in the building of my current system.. i transplanted my sata 120gb drive to my new system, reinstaling XP in the process.. well.. 120gb isnt all that much anymore.. and needless to say.. i saw an error i havent seen in years.. 'error.. C: drive out of space'
    so im switching to raid0...

i am clueless when it comes to this.. anyone have experience with setting up raids? ( i have a raid controller on my mobo) ASUS A8N SLI Delux

these are the HD's im leaning towards Seagate Barracuda 320GB

first off.. are they compatible? second off.. is there a way to ghost games/programs over to the new drive? ( say... i dont have the CDs for... copy and paste doesnt work usually )
    and lastly.... is setting up a raid easy?
    Last edited by Tonk; 04-09-2007, 11:12 PM.
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: setting up raid (first time)

The drives will work together but only 120GB from the new drive will be used unless you set it up as JBOD (Just A Bunch Of Disks). JBOD won't have the advantages of RAID but it makes your data accessible on both drives appear as C: drive.

If you're going to use your old drive and new drive in RAID, you'll have to back up all your data and perform a complete reinstall. I haven't used RAID before because I prefer using separate drives so somebody else will have to go over the details of setting up RAID.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

As for the hard drive, I just got one of those exact Seagates the other day. I paid $85 at NewEgg. They are decent drives.

For the Raid, it is fairly simple. As long as you have a pair it will work pretty well. Make sure they are on seperate channels on the mobo, than enable them with the bios. Once you boot up, you hit F10 I believe and it will give you the option of putt a pair of hard drives into a RAID.

Once in Windows, dowload a program called Acronis True Imag (free Trial) and simply copy your 120 GB over to your RAID Array. It will even copy/make the boot sector and resize your partition to your new hard drive (s).

If that sounds easy it is, I just did the same exact thing you are trying to do a couple weeks ago and it took about an hour without any major issues. PM me if you need a bit more help or are concerned about some of the steps.

Good Luck!
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
        The drives will work together but only 120GB from the new drive will be used unless you set it up as JBOD (Just A Bunch Of Disks). JBOD won't have the advantages of RAID but it makes your data accessible on both drives appear as C: drive.

If you're going to use your old drive and new drive in RAID, you'll have to back up all your data and perform a complete reinstall. I haven't used RAID before because I prefer using separate drives so somebody else will have to go over the details of setting up RAID.
        i got 2 new identicle seagate drives... the old 120gb will not be in the system after i copy information from it
        powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

It should be pretty painless to set up the RAID then. Do as BigC suggested and copy the data over after setting up the RAID. If you want the RAID to be the primary drive (OS is on it) then you'll have to do a reinstall.

Comment

ok... got the HDDs... when doing the windows installation (xp home.. with the cd) after loading resources... it tells me there is no hard drive to install to... the raid array is set up using the software on the mobo ( press f4 during boot to go to raid managment..) if i plug my old hd and boot to windows.. i set up the disk in computer managment in the control panel and still nothing... how do i assign the array an drive letter out of windows
            powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

bios recognises the raid is present.. but not windows
              powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

You probably have to get the RAID controller drivers and set them up during the Windows install. I think you can get the drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website.

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/mb...-333/raid6.htm
                This link is an example of how to set up the RAID drivers when installing Windows.

Comment

In XP, one of the things you need to do is follow the guide that Sarc posted. But the time to add the drivers for a RAID during a install, is when you are in the initial load phase. It will ask you something like "do you have any SCSI or 3rd party drivers that need to be installed", you have to say yes. That is when you can load the drivers so the drive is reconzed and allows for an installation on that drive. This is allot of work if you already have a bootable hard drive that woks fine though, simply copy with a image program..
                  "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

ehh.. i dont have a 3.5 floppy drive to do so.. is there another way? (only 1 cdrom too)