Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video playback washed out / dark (codec problem?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video playback washed out / dark (codec problem?)

I have two desktops with fairly recent HDD rebuilds. On one machine when I watch a video (avi / wmv / etc.) the video plays back very dark. In some cases it almost looks black and white and others it is just too dark to see what is going on. I have a feeling I've messed with the codecs when attempting to install / remove codecs for other movies.

On my second machine I haven't messed with codecs at all and the videos play great.

So my question is how do I restore my main machine so that it plays back movies correctly?
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Video playback washed out / dark (codec problem?)

As an added detail... I was trying to play movies in windows media player. To verify it wasn't the media player, I installed REAL and tried to play the same movie. In both players the video is washed out / dark.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

Try VLC, http://www.videolan.org/

It has builtin codecs, so it'll help you isolate your problem. If VLC plays fine, then check your codec settings. If VLC plays the same, then you might want to check your video driver settings. Maybe you have some bad hardware overlay settings in your video driver.

Comment

Originally posted by FriedFish View Post

It has builtin codecs, so it'll help you isolate your problem. If VLC plays fine, then check your codec settings. If VLC plays the same, then you might want to check your video driver settings. Maybe you have some bad hardware overlay settings in your video driver.
        Expanding on this: if the codecs don't solve your problem, you may want to check the monitor type listed in the device manager. By default, most monitors end up being detected as standard pnp monitor. The proper driver (well, it's not really a driver, but an ICM color profile ) sometimes make a difference.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by FriedFish View Post

VLC also plays washed out. I checked my video drivers and they are setup fine. I've reinstalled those too.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
            Expanding on this: if the codecs don't solve your problem, you may want to check the monitor type listed in the device manager. By default, most monitors end up being detected as standard pnp monitor. The proper driver (well, it's not really a driver, but an ICM color profile ) sometimes make a difference.

DB
            Can you explain more how to check this?
            |TG-12th| asch
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
              VLC also plays washed out. I checked my video drivers and they are setup fine. I've reinstalled those too.
              In VLC, in the Settings menu, goto preferences, select Video on the left. Then uncheck "Overlay video output". Then test a video again to see if it's washed out. If the video plays back ok, then it's not a monitor profile problem. If the video driver settings for color correction and video overlay are ok, then it might be something else that affects the video overlay settings.

Comment

Can you explain more how to check this?
                Right click on my computer, manage, device manager. In the device list, you should see your monitor. If it is detected as standard plug and play monitor and you want to try to get the proper ICM color profile, grab it from the MFRs web site, usually in the support, drivers downloads. If you use an Nvidia card, think there is a setting for video playback in your control panel. You might want to try that ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I have two desktops with fairly recent HDD rebuilds. On one machine when I watch a video (avi / wmv / etc.) the video plays back very dark. In some cases it almost looks black and white and others it is just too dark to see what is going on. I have a feeling I've messed with the codecs when attempting to install / remove codecs for other movies.

On my second machine I haven't messed with codecs at all and the videos play great.

So my question is how do I restore my main machine so that it plays back movies correctly?
                  I had a problem with my nvidia drivers that required me to manually adjust the video colour and image settings every time I played a video otherwise it was too dark and washed out (Under Video & Television >> Adjust Video Color Settings). It seemed my settings would not stick. This occured irrespective of the player I was using (media-player, vlc, mplayer, etc.)

I got fed up and downloaded the beta nvidia drivers and the problem disappeared.

HTH & Cheers!

Comment

Set everything in the new Nvidia control panel the way you want it. Go into the video options, and disable color temperature correction. Now exit the new cp, and open the classic cp (use this as the default from now on).

In the classic CP, go into color correction. Under "apply color changes to" select "all" and "all channels." Now hit "restore to defaults." That should do the trick.
                    |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
                      I had a problem with my nvidia drivers that required me to manually adjust the video colour and image settings every time I played a video otherwise it was too dark and washed out (Under Video & Television >> Adjust Video Color Settings). It seemed my settings would not stick. This occured irrespective of the player I was using (media-player, vlc, mplayer, etc.)

I got fed up and downloaded the beta nvidia drivers and the problem disappeared.

HTH & Cheers!
                      It appears that these settings were all set to 0% for some reason. I've reset them so hopefully they'll stick. Video playback now looks good.

Thanks for all of the help fellas!
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse