Vista, VOIP software, and games...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista, VOIP software, and games...

Many people have issues with Teamspeak while using Vista, myself included. Basically, Vista tends to "ignore" some functions while you are in another window besides TS itself. i.e. if I'm just using TS I can push button 3 on the mouse and be fine... BUT, as soon as I'm in 2142 or SupCom for some reason people cant hear me, but I can hear them.

Apparently it doesnt register my button pushes while I'm in-game. It DOES recognize keyboard presses and mouse-button 1 for some reason.

At any rate, the problem is solved simply by disabling UAC (user accessibility controls). UAC is largely the cause of many game issues and in most cases disabling it altogether will solve your Vista-gaming woes. To merely "run as administrator" is not enough. The function must be disabled.

Running Vista this way so far gives me no trouble playing 2142, WoW, SupCom, or LotRO. For 2142 I also click the "run as admin" button, even though UAC is disabled... this seems to get by the Punkbuster bug.

Anyways, dont be fearful of Vista.. yes, many of the functions interfere with gaming.. but they can easily be turned on/off. Worse comes to worst you can install as a Window XP prog. and/or run it as such within Vista in compatibility mode.

Re: Vista, VOIP software, and games...

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
    Many people have issues with Teamspeak while using Vista, myself included. Basically, Vista tends to "ignore" some functions while you are in another window besides TS itself. i.e. if I'm just using TS I can push button 3 on the mouse and be fine... BUT, as soon as I'm in 2142 or SupCom for some reason people cant hear me, but I can hear them.

Apparently it doesnt register my button pushes while I'm in-game. It DOES recognize keyboard presses and mouse-button 1 for some reason.

At any rate, the problem is solved simply by disabling UAC (user accessibility controls). UAC is largely the cause of many game issues and in most cases disabling it altogether will solve your Vista-gaming woes. To merely "run as administrator" is not enough. The function must be disabled.

Running Vista this way so far gives me no trouble playing 2142, WoW, SupCom, or LotRO. For 2142 I also click the "run as admin" button, even though UAC is disabled... this seems to get by the Punkbuster bug.

Anyways, dont be fearful of Vista.. yes, many of the functions interfere with gaming.. but they can easily be turned on/off. Worse comes to worst you can install as a Window XP prog. and/or run it as such within Vista in compatibility mode.
    I have been trying to avoid turning off UAC since it is one of the "features" of Vista and is supposed to help "protect us" but I am finding many issues with Vista and many of my games will either not play at all or I lose functionallity like comms in some of them. I will probably try playing with it some more this weekend.

Comment

The way I look at it is Win XP didnt have that feature and I got by just fine w/o it so it doesnt kill me to disable it. Yeah, it's a nice feature... but I'm fine waiting for them to patch the problem for now. I'm behind 2 routers and am the only one using my system so UAC is not that big of a deal for me.

Comment

UAC is only particularly useful to the unwashed masses who aren't very computer savvy. I doubt many of the people who frequent this board have much use for it. The same goes for running an anti-virus in real-time mode: if you never open the idiotic attachments from people you don't know or even odd named EXEs from people you do know, you will likely never get a virus. I haven't had an AV on my system for years and have never had a virus.

A little common sense goes a long way, but you know the saying: Common sense isn't.
        Twisted Firestarter
        a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
        sigpic

Comment

Well, I dont know where all this Vista gaming-hatred comes from. Personally, I havent really had any problems once I disabled that damned UAC. Even an old game like CivIV plays perfectly on here.

Comment

I can play Sid Meier's Colonization (Windows version, not DOS) great in Vista. There isn't any voice support in it though... :(

I thought I had that issue before where I couldn't use my TS talk key while in a game. Then it magically fixed itself. Now, I know it's because I disabled UAC.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X