CPU Temps Revisited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Temps Revisited

We haven't talked about CPU temperatures in a while. I thought it might be interesting if we compared our temps using similar testing methods so we can get an idea of a standardized range.

Testing methodology
    To stress test the CPU, let's use Orthos Stress Prime 2004 and run the Small FFTs test for 3 minutes. CPU and motherboard temperatures should be recorded right at the end of 3 minutes.

Please include your CPU type, speed, and any overclocking you are doing as well as your cooling hardware.
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Re: CPU Temps Revisited

Is there a certain program we should use to monitor temps? I have core temp installed now. The only other way I know to check it is in the bios.

Comment

I have a Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 (2.66GHz) overclocked to 3.06GHz. For cooling I have a Ninja Scych 1100 Rev.B with the optional 120mm fan.

My idle temps are:

Motherboard: 37 c
      CPU: 43 c

After 3 minutes of testing:
      Motherboard: 39 c
      CPU: 72 c

72 degrees celcius seems pretty high, expecially considering the huge heat sink that is on the CPU. But my guess is that temps under CPU stress testing are much different than under typical game playing conditions. For example, after running the Company of Heroes performance test my CPU is about 50 c.
      Twisted Firestarter
      a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jonan_ View Post
        Is there a certain program we should use to monitor temps? I have core temp installed now. The only other way I know to check it is in the bios.
        I don't think it really matters. I've tried a few different ones and they all match to within a degree or two. I'm personally using Speedfan.
        Twisted Firestarter
        a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
        sigpic

Comment

amd64 4000+ overclocked to 2.54 ghz. stock air cooling. overclock via FSB. @ stock voltage.
          in an evga mobo

cpu idle temp 35 C
          mobo idle 32
          cpu hot temp 48 C
          mobo hot temp 38 C

I have very good case cooling and low ambient temps due to location of comp on basement floor.

Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough! Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post
            amd64 4000+ overclocked to 2.54 ghz. stock air cooling. overclock via FSB. @ stock voltage.
            in an evga mobo

cpu idle temp 35 C
            mobo idle 32
            cpu hot temp 48 C
            mobo hot temp 38 C

I have very good case cooling and low ambient temps due to location of comp on basement floor.
            Nice. The hot temps are using the Orthos Prime CPU stress test application?
            Twisted Firestarter
            a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
            sigpic

Comment

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.400)

Idle
              Motherboard: 42
              CPU : 28
              Core 1:40
              Core 2:40

Nautilus 500 Watercooling.

Motherboard: 42
              CPU : 44
              Core 1:55
              Core 2:54
              --
              VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
                My idle temps are:

Motherboard: 37 c
                CPU: 43 c

CPU: 72 c
                I reinstalled a CPU cover that came with my Lian-Li motherboard. It connects to the rear van and covers the CPU area, ensuring good airflow over the cpu. With this configuration I reran the test:

Motherboard: 42 c
                CPU: 67 c

Interesting. It seems to have traded off some airflow to the motherboard for airflow to the CPU. Even more interesting is the fact that I reran the test with the CPU no longer overclocked and obtained essentially the same results. I also tried the test with the Ninja Sych heatsink running in passive mode (no extra cpu fan whatsoever) an obtained the same results.
                Twisted Firestarter
                a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                sigpic

Comment

i downloaded the file and it comes up with a error,,, WORKER.DLL cant be found.

Comment

Originally posted by Cappy View Post
                    i downloaded the file and it comes up with a error,,, WORKER.DLL cant be found.
                    The cab file has two files in it: ORTHOS.EXE and Worker.DLL..both of these files need to be in the same directory to run.
                    Twisted Firestarter
                    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                    sigpic

Comment

E6600 2400mz Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu

My idle temps are:
                      CPU: 42 c

Motherboard: 40 c
                      CPU: 67 c

Comment

Nice. The hot temps are using the Orthos Prime CPU stress test application?
                        the results I posted were from a previous test using a different program.

here are my current results. note that they are better here.

I just ran another test at a higher clock. cpu never got above 44 C. :)
                        running the cpu at 2.618 (118 fsb overclock.)
                        top number in speedfan is my cpu temp. 2nd number is my mobo temp
                        the core temps are very low imo. not sure they are accurate. if they are... im fairly giddy.

CPU 44C
                        mobo 33 C

here is my temps for idle. this was done a min or so after the high temps test.

CPU 28
                        MOBO 31

ambient temp is probably 19 C (67F)

one case mod I have is a duct from the outside of my case right to the cpufan. the cpufan brings in air from outside of the case. I have one 120mm fan blowing air out the back. thats it for case fans though. I like it to stay pretty quiet. I did have a 5000 rpm van from thermaltake installed in teh case but it did not get my temps any lower.
                        Last edited by sc1ence; 04-27-2007, 06:35 PM.

Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough! Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I have a core 2 duo 6600 with no overclocking and an artic freezer pro to cool it. Here is the numbers I got

I was kind of expecting cooler. I guess my case doesn't have very good air flow.

Comment

Intel P4 3.0Ghz (stock speed/volt)
                            Vantech CPU/fan combo
                            Speedfan temp software
                            Idle temps: low 30C with side panel off, 34C with panel on

Running this 3-minute test got my CPU up to 50C with the side panel off, 56C with the panel on. Playing BF2 I tend to get 53-54C with the panel off, ~60C with the panel on.

I need to get some Arctic Silver and re-seat my heatsinks.
                            |TG-6th|Belhade
                            "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

My idle temps are:

Motherboard: 37C
                              CPU: 43C

Motherboard: 39C
                              CPU: 72C
                              Just a reminder to everyone that that quality of airflow is almost as important as the quantity of it. I've been tweaking my fan configuration this morning and was able to get my temps across the board down by 3C.
                              Twisted Firestarter
                              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse