Video Card in a coma?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card in a coma?

I've been playing CS: Source and DoD:Source alot lately. For some reason I can't figure out, my Framerate is constantly dropping down into the single digits. My computer isn't all that great but I used to be able to run CS: Source with Moderate settings at around 60-70fps. I have had to lower my settings to as low as possible with a 1024x768 resolution. I have a Nvidia 6600 GT w/ 128mb RAM, 2 gigs of ram, and a Intel Pentium D processor. I have DirectX 9.0c installed. Any ideas as to why my FPS is so low?
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee. -Ezekiel 25:17

Re: Video Card in a coma?

It is possible the card is overheating and throttling itself to prevent damage.
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Yeah, it's very likely wearing a dust sweater... open the case up, take the card out and clean the heatsink off :icon14:

Comment

What should I use to clean it?
        The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee. -Ezekiel 25:17

Comment

Canned air which you can get at any officemax type place... if not that, then just do the best you can.. really depends on what the heat sink looks like - toothbrush might work.

Comment

nay on the tooth brush -- static!

If its layered with dust, you can just blow on it (don't spit). Can air works if you want to spend 5 bucks. It'll be good for cleaning out your whole case, fans, proc heat sink, etc.

Also, check for a new driver set.
            |TG|Switch

Better known as:
            That noob who crashed the chopper.
            That noob who ran over the mine.
            That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
            That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

If it's REALLY layered, you may have to just pick it off... (Yes, that is my heatsink ><)
              |TG| Lorian
              Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian View Post
                If it's REALLY layered, you may have to just pick it off... (Yes, that is my heatsink ><)
                HOLLY CRAP!!

Comment

I'll try that then. Thanks for the help.

Comment

It worked. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X