No announcement yet.

Lost in a sea of difficult decisions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in a sea of difficult decisions...

Ok, maybe its not that dramatic, but I am looking at getting a new system and apparently I need some serious help from techies... So, without knowing precisely what I need, I'll just describe what I want (plus some of the cons I've been hearing thus far), and maybe someone can offer suggestions about systems that might be geared to me.

1. Something portable, so laptop comes to mind, but...

2. Something I can game with... most people say laptops just cannot handle higher end games, the best stop at BF2 and even then you're playing at lowe resolution.

3. Something I won't have to dink around with for updates all the time, new software patches, etc... so a MAC immediately comes to mind, but again, can MACs be good for gaming?

4. Something I can use for higher end graphics, word processing, research, data storage, etc... so who knows.

Please, someone throw me a lifeboat, or even a dingy...

Re: Lost in a sea of difficult decisions...

one thing we would need to know is price constraints.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Franko-

I have just struggled with a lot of these same decisions and I am happy to share my experiences...there is an important piece of info we still need...what is your price range?

In the meantime, both of the below companies make great systems that get excellent reviews. These links are for laptops, but they make desktop as well. But, if you are going to go desktop...you should build it yourself.

As for macs, we have a macbook and love it, but I am not ready to game on it yet. The new quad core and higher macs should game very well but you are going to pay substantially more to game on a mac than a PC.

Main Gear

Velocity Micro
        LoyalGuard

Comment

A Mac is not a viable solution for a gamer.

There are powerful laptops out there that game very well, such as the one Trooper linked to. The drawback of laptops is they typically are not very upgradeable such as not being able to switch out the video card. Also, they fall slightly behind the technology curve for new products, for example there is no integrated DX10 video card available for laptops. So, although you get the convenience of portability you do sacrifice something.

One other option is a computer with a mini-atx form factor. These are almost shoebox sized computers that can pack a lot of punch and are fairly portable. You won't be able to head down to your local Starbucks to do some work over a Cafe Latte (unless you want to bring along an LCD), but it will allow you to toss it in your suitcase when you travel.
          Twisted Firestarter
          a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
          sigpic

Comment

Laptops are going to be expensive. You'll end up paying $2000 CAD (I assume you are from Canada according to your avatar) and have horrid load times. You'll definitely be able to play BF2 on great settings (my mobility 9700 could run decent BF2 settings) but load times are going to be 5 minutes.

If you don't mind building your own laptop, you can try looking at some laptop chassis but it's probably easier to buy from a vendor. Dell has some nice laptops suitable for gaming but they're going to hit the $2000 range easily.

Post your budget and we'll throw around some ideas.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I'd shoot myself if I paid 2299$ for a laptop.

Comment

I'm looking to spend within 2,000 to 2,500 Canadian, which would be I guess about 1,700 to 2,200 US, or something like that. These are great suggestions, that gaming laptop looks too smokin... I bought my old system from this company http://www.ncix.com/ in Canada when Steam came out, I have good specs for it... unfortunately I have a micro case and everything inside is near meltdown after 3 years...

Comment

The XPS laptops aren't really that good of a deal, other than the upgrade to the 7950 video card. An Inspiron 1705 with the 7900GS video would be pretty much the same as the base 1710, upgrading the processor to Core2 2.0Ghz, and you'd need to up both to 2GB RAM.

For desktops, a Dell XPS 410 is really the best price/performance value and can configure with an 8800GTS video card.

Personally, the best thing to do is go shopping for parts on Newegg and put it together yourself. :)
                  |TG-6th|Belhade
                  "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

the next question I would have for you is the portability requirements. what kind of portability do you require?

one can make a very portable pc. you can customize an old suitcase and lug the thing from lan party to lan party. or home for the weekend or to a friends house.

other than this. a laptop is really the only solution.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X