• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Cooling

Ok, to my relevant specs:

Home-built
    Intel P4 3.0Ghz
    Vantech CPU/fan combo
    120mm intake fan - rear of case next to CPU (adjacent fan slot lower on case)
    120mm exhaust fan - side panel, over nest of cables
    Idle temps: low 30C with side panel off, 34C with panel on

Problem:
    When gaming (mostly Battlefield 2) the overall/CPU temp will creep up to almost 60C with the side panel on. with the side panel off, it goes up to about 52-53C. Are there any recommendations, for airflow - removing a fan, reversing fans, etc.)?

Also, I'm using random generic/Rat Shack thermal paste for the CPU heatsink. does Arctic Silver thermal paste really make a huge difference? What is recommended for removing thermal paste from a setup - most people insist on rubbing alcohol or special cleaners, but will Windex work ok?

Any other simple advice, other than heading down the treacherous road of liquid cooling? Any tricks to be done with Speedfan?
    |TG-6th|Belhade
    "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Re: CPU Cooling

Rubbing alcohol works just fine for removing the grease. I always use a coffee filter as my rag because it is lint free.

Comment

Windex is not ok because it could leave behind a residue. You want rubbing alcohol because it completely evaporates and leaves a clean surface.

60C is ok for your system. The P4's already ran hot and as long as you stay away from 75C+, it's fine. You can try the premium thermal paste but that usually helps out a couple of degrees. It won't do something drastic and drop your temps to sub-50C.

If you can mod in a side fan, that will help out a bit. Let the side fan and the front fan be the intake. The rear fan should be exhaust. The idea is to have cool air flow in from the front/lower part of the case and the hot air exhaust from the rear/upper part of the case. You could also try a top fan (blowhole) mod to really get the hot air out.

Last part is to clean up the cables. Get them out of the way as much as possible. The bigger the rat's nest, the larger the hot pocket of air that will sit inside the case.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Yeah, the cables are a problem since I'm in the midst of swapping drives around. I can tie them down temporarily, I guess.

Thanks for the advice on the fans. I'll start by reversing the rear and side fans, see if that helps. I've started putting cloth filters over the intake, since I have a tendency to blow cigarette smoke right into it as it sits on my desk.
        |TG-6th|Belhade

Comment

Ok, here were my previous results using the Orthos CPU load program from the other CPU temp revisited thread:

Running this 3-minute test got my CPU up to 50C with the side panel off, 56C with the panel on. Playing BF2 I tend to get 53-54C with the panel off, ~60C with the panel on.

I just reversed the fans and re-ran the test; with the side panel on it maxed at 52-53C after 3 minutes. I'm going to try to find some Arctic Silver when I go out; use that on the CPU and GPU and see how it helps.
          |TG-6th|Belhade

Comment

I've got this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185038

It's awesome. You can probably run it without the fan if you case has good flow.

My system used to overheat like crazy (due to bad thermal paste use, i think) but i installed this with a tiny drop of acrtic silver and now the system is cool as hell (Dante's hell, frozen solid). Also, this heatsink is quiet. Actually, silent, if you don't use the 120 provided.

Cons, a bit hard to install -- but you only do that once (unless you're me who decides to upgrade the power supply to find out he must remove the huge heat sink!) and big. Make sure you keep you case neat.
            |TG|Switch

Better known as:
            That noob who crashed the chopper.
            That noob who ran over the mine.
            That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
            That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

a mjor problem is that you have the intake fan in the back. this will blow air at the CPU heatsync. which in this case is a BAD thing. you want the air flowing past the heatsync with minimal turbulance. right now with the fan blowing on the cpu, the airflow is fighting the outward airflow from the cpufan. the cpu fan will blow air down and away, the rear fan should then draw that air out. the side fan needs to blow down onto cpu, or simple be removed and placed in the front.

more fans does not allways make for a cooler case, what is important is the placement of those fans. you want nice smooth airflow over your parts, not turbulance. turbulance will not give the air a chance to cool down your parts.

when your temps drop that much with the side off it is a screaming alarm that one of a few things are happening. either the case is in a very bad spot like next to a heater or under a hot lamp, your case has no fans or the fans are ineffectual. in your case, you have what seem to be plenty of fans. the only strong airflow near the cpu should come from the cpu fan itself. a front fan is good for bringing fresh air in. for a side fan, the placement is critical. if the side fan creates turbulance at the site of the heatsync you will have one fan fighting another, and the result is less efficient cooling.

I have one fan in my case, right at the rear, it is a 120mm blowing out.

I have a duct that comes fromt he side of the case right over the cpu. the cpu fan draws fresh air from the duct and blows it right down on the heatsync. this air then is quickly removed by the 120mm rear fan. the result is a nice cool case and very good temps. I dont even need a front fan. it makes no difference for the temps of my parts.

I have found that proper instilation of arctic silver can make a 2-4 C difference

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Ok - preliminary result time.

First off, I finally managed to get the front panel of the case off. It really helps when you take out *all* of the screws holding it down; I had missed a pair in the middle all along. Moved the side fan there and hooked it up. Now I have airflow coming in the front bottom, past the large media drive, and exhaust out the upper rear - just below the PSU and right next to the CPU.

I got the Arctic Silver 5 applied. I let it sit cold for a few hours, then gave it a ~2 hour warmup of WoW where it maxed out at 52-53C. Shut it down for a few more hours and now I'm heating it up again. Started with another WoW session; now it's running Battlefield2, TrendMicro actively scanning and Bittorrent (negligible).

With all this runing, and the side panel on, it's maxing out at about 53C. The room ambient temp is a bit low, as it's the middle of the night, but I am already very satisfied with these numbers - I don't forsee it ever getting over 55C, much less 60C. With a few more heat cycles to get the AS5 properly cured I may even see another degree or two drop.

I just shut down the antivirus, and with FireFox *and* the Orthos 3-minute FFTS stress test (BF2 is still running in the back, mind you) it's still not going over 54C (though I am beginning to notice slight distortion in BF2 textures now).
                |TG-6th|Belhade

Comment

ya i waz having the same probs,,,, so what i did was i ordered a new 120mm exaust fan (110cfm) and 2 80mm fans. the 2 80mm i put in the side panel of my case, 1 low , 1 halfway up... before the new exaust and 80mm's i waz avaraging 60c E6600. now with the new setup its 29c idle 43c full 100% both cores... , rear exaust fan at about 1100-1200 rpms (manual) 2 800mm fans at about well i realy dont know, know way to measure them :(

i have a question though, all three new fans come with 3 prong plugs, im no computer builder, novice at best and never moded a case till thursday, but can those 3 prong plugs go anywhere in the mobo that has a 3 prong plug????

lol dont yell at me im learning and the only way is to ask :) :)

Comment

Originally posted by Cappy View Post
                    ya i waz having the same probs,,,, so what i did was i ordered a new 120mm exaust fan (110cfm) and 2 80mm fans. the 2 80mm i put in the side panel of my case, 1 low , 1 halfway up... before the new exaust and 80mm's i waz avaraging 60c E6600. now with the new setup its 29c idle 43c full 100% both cores... , rear exaust fan at about 1100-1200 rpms (manual) 2 800mm fans at about well i realy dont know, know way to measure them :(

i have a question though, all three new fans come with 3 prong plugs, im no computer builder, novice at best and never moded a case till thursday, but can those 3 prong plugs go anywhere in the mobo that has a 3 prong plug????

lol dont yell at me im learning and the only way is to ask :) :)
                    No. The 3rd wire is a speed sensor to give feedback to whatever fan controller youare using. It tells the controller how fast the fan is spinning.

Before you plug one up to your motherboard make sure that you go through the manual and confirm that it is a fan jack that you are plugging into.
                    Retired 6th DB

Comment

60 isnt bad at all.
                      |TG-Irr|TanithGhost
                      100 pixels height is too small people.

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                        No. The 3rd wire is a speed sensor to give feedback to whatever fan controller youare using. It tells the controller how fast the fan is spinning.

Before you plug one up to your motherboard make sure that you go through the manual and confirm that it is a fan jack that you are plugging into.
                        so basicly id be better off ordering a fan speed controler,, prolly be better off, better control over the fan speeds,,, damn gona have to get a bigger power supply soon

Comment

Personally I'm not a fan (pun intended) of manual speed controllers. I have a silverstone automatic controller that works pretty well. I don't trust myself to control the fans that keep my expensive computer cool.
                          Retired 6th DB

Comment

ok so with the auto's you can still set the temps you want??????

or does it do that for ya also lol...???

Comment

This is the controller that I have:
                              http://www.short-media.com/articles/...fan_controller

The review is pretty spot on with my thoughts as well.
                              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X