Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info needed on a new PC

copy/paste for Daz because he didnt have enough posts to post a linky

Hi guys need a little help,I have around £700 to buy a new PC,so I did a little research and came up with a few builds below,trouble is I am not very clued up now about the latest PC technology,so I was wondering if you could help me choose the best system,or maybe you know of a better PC supplier as I didn't really delve to deep into it.

The PC will be used for gaming mostly,and the one I am using now will be given to my Son,so I basically need a whole new System.

Cheers in advance Daz

Cyberpowersystem.co.uk

custom built pc

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
    Motherboard: (Quad-Core Supports) MSI P6N SLI-FI nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
    Memory: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)1GB (2x512MB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
    Video Card: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 16X PCI Express
    Hard Drive: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
    Optical Drive: SONY DUAL FORMAT 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
    Optical Drive 2: SONY 16X DVD-ROM (BLACK COLOR)
    Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

£699.13

Wired2fire.co.uk
    Diablo Ultima

Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 Power 420W
    Processor: Core 2 Duo E6300 2MB cache
    Graphics Card 1: BFG GeForce 7900 GS 256MB PCI Express
    Memory: 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC4200 Value Select
    Motherboard: ASRock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2 Socket 775
    Hard Disk Drive: 250GB Caviar SE16 SATA 300
    Optical Drive One: BTC DVD-Rom x16
    Sound Card: Onboard sound
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic

Total: £699.01

http://www1.euro.dell.com

Dell Dimension 9200

PROCESSOR Intel® Viiv™ Core™ 2 Duo E6300 Processor (1.86GHz, 1066MHz, 2MB)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium - English edit
    MONITOR Dell™ 20" Black Wide Flat Panel (E207WFP) - UK/Irish edit
    MEMORY 2048MB Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz [2x1024] Memory edit
    HARD DRIVE 500GB Serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x250GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst™ cache] edit
    GRAPHICS CARD 256MB ATI® Radeon® X1300 Pro PCI Express graphics card edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE 16x DVD+/-RW & 16x DVD Drives edit
    VIDEO EDITING IEEE 1394 PCI Adapter card edit
    SOUND CARD Integrated Audio with Dolby Digital 7.1 capability edit
    SPEAKERS Dell™ A525 Speakers with Subwoofer edit
    FLOPPY/MEDIA DRIVES Internal 13-in-1 Media Card Reader edit

£728.99

EveSham.com

Solar 7500

Operating System Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 processor
    Memory 2 x 512MB DDR-2 memory
    Hard Disk 320GB 7200rpm S-ATA hard drive
    Graphics 256MB NVIDIA 7500 LE graphics
    Monitor 19'' widescreen TFT monitor
    Motherboard i946GZ mATX, PCI-E, Gb LAN, DDR2 Motherboard
    Sound On-board audio
    CD/DVD Rewriter 18x DVD-RW drive
    Standard Software Microsoft Works 8
    Bullguard Internet Security - Anti-virus with FREE 90 day updates - plus firewall and online backup
    Roxio Media Suite DVD

£699.00

Chillblast.com

Chillblast Fusion Vista 6300 OCTV

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 overclocked to up to 2.1GHz
    Asrock CONROE865PE R3.0/A/ASR
    nVIDIA GeForce 7900GS 256MB
    2GB PC2-5400 Value DDR2 Memory
    NEC 7173 18x DVD RW with LabelFlash
    Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive SATA II 250GB
    Windows Vista Home Premium OEM
    Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1100 Vista-Ready TV Card
    19" 1440x900 Widescreen TFT Monitor
    Logitech S200 Speakers
    Logitech EX-110 Keyboard and Mouse

£750.00

Matrix² A6000+ DOTW

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6000+ - Socket AM2
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium Edition
    Digital & Analogue TV Tuner PCI Card
    Mini-Tower Micro ATX Case +250W PSU - Black/Silver
    ASUS M2V-MX AM2 K8M890 Micro ATX Mainboard
    2048MB DDR2 533MHz Memory - (2x 1024MB)
    500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
    Super Format SONY 18x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
    256MB nVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT - DVI, HDTV, TV-Out
    22" Widescreen LCD TFT Digital Display with internal speakers (DVI, 5ms)
    5.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio-SoundMAX (on-board)
    Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse
    Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
    BullGuard Internet Security 7.0 -AntiVirus/Firewall/Backup/Spamfilter - 90 day trial
    6x USB 2.0 Ports (8x possible on motherboard)
    1x Gigabit LAN (onboard)
    Internal 33-in-1 Memory Card Reader
    Silver - 1 Year On Site Service - UK Mainland Only (Repair Line)

£699.00
    sigpic

Re: Info needed on a new PC

Hey, I can give you some help on this one I guess, since I just bought a new gaming pc myself. If I look at those builds I would definitely go for the first one. The E6600 is (in my opinion) the best choice for a gaming processor. The graphics card looks fine too, that's the one I got too. Rest looks alright, altough I'd really go for 2 gigs of RAM instead of 1. I'd also get a cheaper motherboard as this one is really overkill. The one I got was the MSI P965 NEO-F. (saves alot of money)
    Also, your profile says your from the Netherlands, if that's true I can give a link to a reliable and cheap internet vendor: Link

Hope this helps :)

edit: I'll just post what I got, maybe it helps a bit:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    MSI P965 NEO-F
    2 x 1024 DDR 2
    WD 160 GB Harddisk
    Some cheap-o case
    Coolermaster 430W Extreme Power PSU
    EVGA Geforce 8600GTS
    Samsung Syncmaster 710N

= 1050 euro at local shop :)
    Last edited by Concr3te; 04-29-2007, 06:43 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

ya but if you look at all the builds he posted and what he gets for each one this 1 is the most bang for the buck i would say.

Matrix² A6000+ DOTW

BullGuard Internet Security 7.0 -AntiVirus/Firewall/Backup/Spamfilter - 90 day trial
      1x Gigabit LAN (onboard)

£699.00

for what your getting for the money, well id say go with this one. I'm not a AMD fan but the new 6000 is supposed to be decent. i also just built a new system and the important things that i got are in my sig. well the only ones that i think are important :P

is the 8500 a dx10 card??? if not and your only going to have the money once i would say spend the couple more dollars and get the 8800. i went with the 7950 gt ko only because the 8800 just came out and there was no driver support yet, also went with xp because they were having problems with vista and driver support and gaming. all of which I'm going to fix in the coming year being things are starting to look up in vista.

hell and Mr. gates is basically going to force vista on everyone and delete support for xp to get his way because vista has been such a huge disappointment in sales :P

Comment

www.tomshardware.com

If you need info on part performance and top rated things, check out toms hardware. They'll give you detailed comparisons and reviews.
        |TG|Switch

Better known as:
        That noob who crashed the chopper.
        That noob who ran over the mine.
        That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
        That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

A few thoughts:

I'm not sure what you want to use this for, but if it's primarily to do some gaming, I would think that at a minimum:

2 GB RAM
          I wouldn't get anything less than a 8600. Especially if you want to max out your resolution on a 19" + wide screen monitor.

I see two of your choices are mATX sized boxes. Probably fine for everyday computing, but if you are gaming, I would have serious concerns about overheating and a lack of an adequate power supply.

Cyberpowersystem.co.uk - No monitor. I'd think about trying to get an E6300 instead of the E6600 in this thing, and add another 1 GB of RAM (2x1 GB total) to keep the cost the same. I checked out this site, and you can build a completely custom box..I think you could do quite well in this price range here.

Diablo Ultima - No DVD burner. Seems overpriced for what they are offering

Dell Dimension 9200 - X1300? I can't believe Dell is still trying to sell these in new rigs. This is an old video card.

Solar 7500 - I've never heard of a Nvidia 7500 LE gpu. IMHO not enough memory.

Chillblast Fusion Vista 6300 OCTV - For the same price you should be able to get rid of the 7900 and get an 8600 card.

Matrix² A6000+ DOTW - IMO a 250 W PSU is woefully inadequate. Also, a Nvidia 8500 is a low end card.

Comes down to preference, whether you need a monitor or not, and what you expect to use it for.

HTH

Comment

oh craP DIDNT see the 250 ps,, ya that way way to little,,,, 450 or better, i have a 450 now and thinking of going higher, gona add some fans :)

if ya can get a 550 its about all you'll ever need, better to have more then less.

Comment

Originally posted by Cappy View Post
              oh craP DIDNT see the 250 ps,, ya that way way to little,,,, 450 or better, i have a 450 now and thinking of going higher, gona add some fans :)

if ya can get a 550 its about all you'll ever need, better to have more then less.
              I have Tagan 430 PS in my current PC,which I was thinking of moving into my new one if it wasn't powerful enough.

JAMerica I too liked the Cybersystems site,but I was confused by which gfx card to get,also had trouble juggling the parts to get it at the right price.

Thx for all the help so far though guys :)

Comment

I have managed to increase it too £800 now,thanks too some major charming by me on the Wife,so it might not be so much of a headache now :)

Comment

Originally posted by Eva Wellington View Post

Cyberpowersystem.co.uk ( custom built pc )

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
                  Motherboard: (Quad-Core Supports) MSI P6N SLI-FI nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
                  Memory: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)1GB (2x512MB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
                  Video Card: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 16X PCI Express
                  Hard Drive: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
                  Optical Drive: SONY DUAL FORMAT 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
                  Optical Drive 2: SONY 16X DVD-ROM (BLACK COLOR)
                  Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

£699.13
                  Matrix² A6000+ DOTW
                  1x Gigabit LAN (onboard)

£699.00
                  Between those two on first glance.
                  I like intel but the bottom seems to be a better value, though i have heard of the first company and not the second.

Comment

gj bro,,, so what color are you painting the house :row__536:

Comment

Originally posted by AlbionDaz View Post
                      I have managed to increase it too £800 now,thanks too some major charming by me on the Wife,so it might not be so much of a headache now :)
                      LOL, I go through that everytime I need to buy something too :)

What are you going to use your system for? Some of those pre-built ones looked like Home Theatre Systems....I would build on of these quite differently than a gaming rig.

Do you already have a monitor or do you want/need a new one.

Code:
                      # *BASE_PRICE: [+328]
                      # CAS: Hot New! CoolerMaster Mystique 632 Tower 420W Case [+32] (Black Color)
                      # CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 CPU @ 2.13GHz 1066FSB 2x1MB L2 Cache EM64T [+12]
                      # CD: SONY DUAL FORMAT 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
                      # FAN: INTEL LGA775 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
                      # HDD: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+18])
                      # MOTHERBOARD: (Quad-Core Supports) Asus P5N-E nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard [+18]
                      # MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory [+119] (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
                      # NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
                      # OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2 [+69]
                      # POWERSUPPLY: Enermax EG565AX-VE 535 Watt Power Supply (SLI-Ready) [+56]
                      # SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
                      # SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
                      # USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
                      # VIDEO: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 16X PCI Express [+47]
                      # _PRICE: (+691)
                      That comes to 811 after tax. Top notch motherboard, powersupply, fast memory. This would be far better than any of the pre-built ones above. No monitor though.

This one:
                      Code:
                       Gamer Infinity 800 (NO MONITOR)

# *BASE_PRICE: [+574]
                      # CAS: Hot New! X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control (Red Color)
                      # CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 CPU @ 2.13GHz 1066FSB 2x1MB L2 Cache EM64T [+12]
                      # HDD: Single Hard Drive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
                      # KEYBOARD: Logitech PS/2 Keyboard (Black)
                      # MOUSE: Logitech S96 Optical PS2 Mouse (Black)
                      # MOTHERBOARD: (Quad-Core Supports) MSI P6N SLI-FI nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
                      # MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory [+79] (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
                      # OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
                      # POWERSUPPLY: Thermaltake W0093 TR2-500Watt Power Supply ATX 12V [+38]
                      # SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
                      # VIDEO: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 16X PCI Express [+37]
                      # _PRICE: (+672)
                      Has a cheaper motherboard/powersupply and an upgrade to an 8800 GTS card. 672 before tax.

Both these would kill any of the pre-built ones above. I'm not recomending you buy these exact rigs, but rather to give you an idea of what you should expect for the money.

Option 3: I highly recommend building it yourself. They are fairly simple to put together now-a-days, and all it takes is the will to hunt around for some deals, and I'm sure you could knock a fair bit off the price. One caveat, while you will have manufacturers warranties on the individual parts, you are sacrificing customer support....but by then you're usually a guru anyways ;)

There are a lot of PC builders around here, hopefully they can weigh in as well.

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks for going to so much trouble,but I must have allready chosen one from Cyberpower,while you was doing all that.

Here is what I plumbed for in the end,it came to £826 which is slightly more than I charmed her for,so looks like I will have to paint her Dad's house as well ;p

# CAS: NZXT Trinity Tower 400W Case w/ Side-panel Window [-2] (BLACK Color)
                        # CASUPGRADE: NONE
                        # CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6300 CPU @ 1.86GHz 1066FSB 2x1MB L2 Cache EM64T
                        # CD2: NONE
                        # CABLE: None
                        # FLOPPY: NONE
                        # FLASHMEDIA: None
                        # HDD: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+11])
                        # HDD2: NONE
                        # IEEE_CARD: NONE
                        # KEYBOARD: Logitech PS/2 Keyboard (Black)
                        # MOUSE: Logitech S96 Optical PS2 Mouse (Black)
                        # MODEM: NONE
                        # MONITOR: Samsung SM940N 19" 8MS TFT LCD MONITOR 1280x1024 [+41]
                        # MONITOR2: NONE
                        # MOTHERBOARD: (Quad-Core Supports) MSI P6N SLI-FI nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard [+14]
                        # MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory [+79] (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
                        # OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic
                        # PPU: NONE
                        # PRO_WIRING: None
                        # POWERSUPPLY: Thermaltake W0093 TR2-500Watt Power Supply ATX 12V [+38]
                        # RUSH: NONE
                        # SPEAKERS: Logitech S100 2.0 Stereo Speaker Set [+5] (BLACK COLOR)
                        # TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)
                        # TVRC: NONE
                        # USBHD: NONE
                        # UPS: Belkin 4-Socket Surge Protector [+7]
                        # VIDEO: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 16X PCI Express [+64]
                        # VIDEO2: NONE
                        # WEBCAM: NONE
                        # WNC: NONE
                        # WAP: NONE

Thanks again for all the help guy's.

Comment

Cheers m8. You'll be quite happy with that, and lots of room to upgrade in the future.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X