taskmgr 100% cpu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taskmgr 100% cpu

Ok, so I recently installed a bfgtech geforce 7600gs and a new power supply. I thought everything was going peachy, but my cpu usage jumps to 100% (taskmrg.exe to be exact) and the system becomes extremely sluggish. Opening a movie in windows media player, or trying to use a webcam on msn for example have made the system unbearable. Running games surprisingly has been fine.

I believe it is a video card driver because when the driver is uninstalled it all runs well on the onboard vga card. I am in the process of trying different driver versions to see if any get rid of thhis effect. Anyone run into this, or know of something specific that may be causing it.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Re: taskmgr 100% cpu

which processes are hogging the CPU?

Here's a trick: Under task-manager's View menu, change update speed to Paused. Then sort by the CPU column. Then hit <F5> to refresh - that will basically take a snapshot of everything running.... CPU hog's at the top of the list.

Comment

cpu usage is 100% when trying to run a video with wmp.

The hogs are taskmgr.exe, explorer.exe, wmplayer.exe in that order, with taskmgr being 80%+. I have tried several video drivers with no luck. I have found people have had issues with the motherboard, and a similar problem.

A motherboard driver update has worked for them, is that worth a shot/safe?

I have an Asus a7n266-c (Socket A), and messing with the bios always makes me feel uneasy :D. Plus I can't do it at the moment since my floppy doesn't work :(. I currently have bios version 1001.D and the newest available from asus are the 1004.

I have a crappier video card to fall back on, but I would like to be able to resolve this issue so that my purchase does not go to waste :(. I will do some more research on this tomorrow. So far though it looks like my system is not aggreeing iwth the new video card in some way shape or form.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Did you do a fresh install of your OS when you put in the new video card? Often times little bits of the old drivers can cause conflicts. It doesn't sound like a virus but just in case, go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com and run their free scan. It takes a while but it is really thorough.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
          Did you do a fresh install of your OS when you put in the new video card? Often times little bits of the old drivers can cause conflicts. It doesn't sound like a virus but just in case, go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com and run their free scan. It takes a while but it is really thorough.
          No I did not do a fresh install. That's trouble I would rather not go through :/. I will try the virus scan tomorrow, time to sleep sigh. Also, how do I go aobut making a bootable cd-rom which includes the files to flash my bios. I would like to try that if I can't steal a floppy from work tomorrow :).

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Try using driver cleaner to fully clear out the driver (follow instructions carefully), probably your best bet if the problem is actually linked to the video card and not a coincidence.

Comment

I did the virus scan and driver cleanup and still no luck. Gonna do some more searching for a solution today, and tomorrow I may try a bios update :icon_eek: .

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

It may be fixed. I installed newer chipset drivers and my problem with wmpalyer, and msn is gone. I haven't done enough testing to see if the problem is completely gone though.

I guess updating drivers is good when you install hardware that's a couple years older then your machine :D. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping all is ok now. Thank you all for your suggestions.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Ok new problem. I really do hate pcs sometimes :).

Error code 100000ea, parameter1 864c47a8, parameter2 86c8de60, parameter3 f7ad6cb4, parameter4 00000001.

Error code 100000ea, parameter1 86b17318, parameter2 86c2a818, parameter3 f73a9cb4, parameter4 00000001.

Error code 100000ea, parameter1 864507a8, parameter2 8626f490, parameter3 f7bb6cb4, parameter4 00000001.

Maybe someone who knows something about microsoft error codes can lead me in the right direction. I will try a couple of chipset drivers in the hope that one will be ok :(.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

nForce Chipset drivers include:
                    1) GART Driver
                    2) Memory Controller Driver
                    3) SMBus Driver
                    4) Ethernet Driver
                    5) Nvidia Audio Driver

I install Audio driver separately so lets consider the first 4.

I believe that once I installed the GART driver, the slow downs dissapeared, but then the reboots started. I have to do some more testing in order to figure what is causing which problem. For now all I have is the Audio and video drivers installed, so I have the 100% cpu usage problem with certain apps (which is better then constant reboots). I will do more testing tomorrow and get back here.
                    Last edited by Polska; 04-30-2007, 09:26 PM.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

I'm starting to doubt my PSU for some reason..... It's a 400W, and 350 is min required. The PSU has only 4 power connectors for devices. I currently have 1 connector going to Vid card, 1 going to an HD, 1 going to another HD and the 4th is SPLIT to a dvd rom and a cdrom.

Would you guys suggest returning this psu and shelling out a couple more bucks for something better?

It's just strange that I don't get reboots without the chipset drivers, but do with only the gart driver installed.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

The last thing you want to save a few bucks on is your PSU. Seriously, if that thing fries, it can take the rest of your system with it. I'm not saying thats the problem but if you think its iffy, take it back.
                        sigpic

Comment

I am tempted to format my xp partition and reinstall, I wouldn't be surprised if sp2 was the culprit ><. However, I have Windows 2003 installed on the same drive as xp (C). I would imagine If I format the xp parttion and reinstall I will no longer be able to boot into 2003 right?

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

It's not a PSU issue.

From my experience, and having read several articles of people with similar issues it seems to be a compatability issue between my card and the agp driver (GART Driver). If I let Windows handle it, I get the slow downs, if I install the ones from the nvidia chipset installer I get lockups/reboots.

I will try every Gart Driver I can, but other then that I may be out of luck. Maybe as a final resort I will try a fresh xp install, maybe sp1 has a different driver :/.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Polska View Post
                              It's not a PSU issue.

From my experience, and having read several articles of people with similar issues it seems to be a compatability issue between my card and the agp driver (GART Driver). If I let Windows handle it, I get the slow downs, if I install the ones from the nvidia chipset installer I get lockups/reboots.

I will try every Gart Driver I can, but other then that I may be out of luck. Maybe as a final resort I will try a fresh xp install, maybe sp1 has a different driver :/.
                              Some BIOS options that you can experiment with (do them one at a time):

Set your agp aperture to 128Mb
                              Disable fast writes.
                              set your agp speed to 4x.
                              See if that helps.
                              BTW that 100000ea error code is often related to the video driver.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X