Help with my range extender

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my range extender

Ok, im callin all you network guys out there cuz i dont know too much when it comes to this...anyways,

I got my range extender since i needed a better signal in my basement as i kept disconnecting. So i hook it up (basically just plugging the power cord in) and try to connect to it. It shows up right next to my normal router as something i can connect to.

Ok, cool, i thought...easy as just clicking on it. Wrong. Apparently i can connect to it but i cant get an IP address. So im kinda stuck. I have it so my router gives out IP addys automaticaly, i figured that much out but other than that i dont know whats wrong. I really need to get this figured out before sat as im in a scrim and dont want to be a hinderance. Ask away as im sure you need to know stuff about my setup or whatev. I am using the same brand router/adapter/range extender. Any help will be much appreciated.

Re: Help with my range extender

Is this a Linksys WRE54G?

I have a revision. 1 and IMHO it's an absolute POS. I had the same problems as you, and when I did finally "fix" it, it was still unreliable as hell. Quite frankly I don't know how I got it working because all I could do was constantly screw with the settings on both the router and the extender until is just started working. Once it was working, I had to unplug the extender and plug it back each time I wanted to use it. If you don't have this model, please disregard the above :)

*Edit* I just remembered that most of my problems related to using WPA with the extender and the router....You could try disabling security on both of them, but beware the neighbour haxorz.

I ended up getting another router, flashing it with DDWRT and setting them up as access points. A la something like this:

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3628576

It has been far more reliable.

HTH (Sorry if it doesn't....I almost took a hammer to my damn thing)

Comment

Originally posted by Snail88 View Post
      Ok, im callin all you network guys out there cuz i dont know too much when it comes to this...anyways,

I got my range extender since i needed a better signal in my basement as i kept disconnecting. So i hook it up (basically just plugging the power cord in) and try to connect to it. It shows up right next to my normal router as something i can connect to.

Ok, cool, i thought...easy as just clicking on it. Wrong. Apparently i can connect to it but i cant get an IP address. So im kinda stuck. I have it so my router gives out IP addys automaticaly, i figured that much out but other than that i dont know whats wrong. I really need to get this figured out before sat as im in a scrim and dont want to be a hinderance. Ask away as im sure you need to know stuff about my setup or whatev. I am using the same brand router/adapter/range extender. Any help will be much appreciated.
      Can you verify the model of your range extender? Like JAMerica, I have the WRE54G but I absolutely love it. I have it upstairs and I'm using it with WPA-PSK with no issues whatsoever. My Xbox 360 actually uses the WRE54G to get the signal downstairs to my router.

If you're not getting an IP, it is most likely because your extender isn't properly associating with the rest of your wireless network. If you're using MAC address filtering on your wireless router/AP, you'll want to make sure you turn that off.

The auto-config on the WRE54G isn't that good and I would suggest configuring it manually. But I can post all my settings if it helps you at all. Well, once you confirm you're using the same device. :)
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

No, im using a D Link DWL-G710. I got that one since my router and adapter are Dlink and didnt want any compatiblity issues. I assume i have to configure it to turn off the MAC address filter right?

The manual told me to put in 192.168.0.30 in a browser and the config and setup screen should come up. Nothing happens when i enter that IP. I think my problem is that i cant get to my AP config/setup screen. It came with a cd, but it only had a quick install guide on it. And dont get me started on their customer service. Any ideas?

Comment

No, im using a D Link DWL-G710. I got that one since my router and adapter are Dlink and didnt want any compatiblity issues. I assume i have to configure it to turn off the MAC address filter right?

The manual told me to put in 192.168.0.30 in a browser and the config and setup screen should come up. Nothing happens when i enter that IP. I think my problem is that i cant get to my AP config/setup screen. It came with a cd, but it only had a quick install guide on it. And dont get me started on their customer service. Any ideas?
          Well, does the DWL-G710 have an ethernet port as well as wireless? If so, I assume you plugged it in via ethernet before you tried to connect to it.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Well this is what I would do:

Do what Apophis suggested and try to plug directly into the extender and try the setup CD. Often these things do not allow wireless access to the configuration screen (to prevent people without physical access to the AP to change settings) unless specifically set to begin with.

You may have to manually set your IP in windows. Try 192.168.0.99 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0, and then try to connect to 192.168.0.30 (remember, this is over a ethernet cable).

Then you should be able to configure the extender. Don't forget to change your IP settings back to "get address automatically" after you have finished configuring the extender and want to connect to it wirelessly.

HTH

Comment

hmmm thanx ill try that.

ok, well i hooked it up via ethernet and apparently my ethernet isnt set up for TCP/IP. I click on properties and theres a TCP/IP setting i can check, so i do which brings me to the options of setting ip addresses and such and its all on automatic so i dont know why it would just automatically get an IP. Completely stumped. (sorry for the run on setence)
              Last edited by Snail88; 05-02-2007, 05:14 PM.

Comment

hmmm thanx ill try that.

ok, well i hooked it up via ethernet and apparently my ethernet isnt set up for TCP/IP. I click on properties and theres a TCP/IP setting i can check, so i do which brings me to the options of setting ip addresses and such and its all on automatic so i dont know why it would just automatically get an IP. Completely stumped. (sorry for the run on setence)
                Under the TCP/IP setting you should be able to check a box that will allow you to set the IP manually. Should look something like this:

Click on "Use the following IP address"

Comment

i tried that and put in the ip's you gave me, but it still says TCP/IP not enable for this connection. Do i need to put something in the preferred DNS server space? Also, is the default gateway the address of my router?

Comment

The default gateway probably is 192.168.0.1

Comment

ok well i found out why i was having problems with my ethernet....it was actually my firewire and i didnt have drivers for my ethernet. So i downloaded the drivers and wha la! my LAN connections is there and it works when i run a cable directly to my router.

I was able to get into my router config by typing in 192.168.0.1 Now i need to figure out how to access my AP since the IP they gave me...192.168.0.30 isnt working. Maybe a different IP?

Comment

Woo Hoo! I finally figured it out. Once i got my ethernet working, i assigned it an IP of 192.168.0.98 and the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and THEN tried to connect to my AP and wah la, there it was. You guys were right in the fact that i had to be pyshically connected to change anything on it. Thanx a ton guys you really helped me out. Im getting a perfect signal now.

Comment

Good to hear! Cheers!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse