Frustrating Internet Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrating Internet Problems

Hey, I hope this is in the right forum...

I have been having alot of trouble with internet lately. I will be working along (or pwning Wyz in NS) and all of a sudden my connection just drops. I will pretty much instantly start reconnecting and I'll be back up and running in less than a minute. When the connection drops I see the light go out on the modem that indicates there is a connection established and then it comes back on again like 10 seconds later.

Now I called my ISPs tech support and they said they could see no problem on their end. The tech support guy said it might be a problem with how my router interacts with my modem (I am using a MR841 v2 Netgear router) and then proceeded to try and sell me a router that his company manufactures. His logic was that since my modem is manufactured by my ISP as is the router, these random connect drops will not happen. I guess basically my question to all you magical helpers out there is this: Is he just selling me a product? How do I know this will actually fix the problem?

Thanks in advance to any of you who are able to help me.

Re: Frustrating Internet Problems

Update:

So it turns out there does exist someone at tech support who is able to help me. Turns out the source of my problem is the fact that I am getting ridiculous amounts of packet loss from my house to my ISP. They are running magical "tests" right now and are contacting me in a few hours...

Comment

Re: Frustrating Internet Problems

You can run a trace route from the command line under xp and see where the loss is happening. The command would be "tracert www.google.com".

If the loss is indeed between your house and ISP then it's their problem. You may want to make sure that the RG6 connector on the back of the modem is not loose. A splitter between the modem and the cable coming in can cause problems as well if the signal was low coming into your house.
      Retired 6th DB

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X