Choosing a new router.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a new router.

Ok, need some opinions on a new wireless router (wireless to my wifes laptop, wired to my gaming machine).

Her Dell laptop has a wireless-N nic built in, so I'm shooting for a wireless-N router - granted it'll be the draft-N, but...

Needs a hardware firewall, easy setup and reliable. My last WRT54G from Linksys was great, but I went through 3 of them before I found one that wouldn't die or need daily reboots to run well.

I would love one that has a USB port for a USB hard drive hookup so I can have a networked harddrive for or itunes databases and pictures, etc..

Anyone have any good ideas?

Oh, and I'm thinking QoS would be nice since my wife loves to download **** while I'm gaming online which throws my ping through the roof.

Re: Choosing a new router.

Great thread from back in the day (see below). I'm still using the router I referenced in those posts, and I'm most pleased daily.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...osing-one.html
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Here's a review for a fancy pants router. :madsmile: It won't do N though. :row__536:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/oth...g-premium.html

2 usb ports for hard drives/printers/webcams. You can install those open source WRT based firmwares which would let you setup QoS.

Comment

Go for this one. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...103/index.html

Comment

I have a netgear WNR834 draft n router. works great with my draft n MIMO card.

Games: GRAW, BF2142, Oblivion, FarCry, Empire At War, R6:RVS, KotOR, KotOR2, MW4: Mercs, FEAR (XP)

*Hiss* "Oh...crap!" *BLAM* "I'm down....MEDIC!!"

DirtyLude: "If we kill him and eat his heart, his magic will be ours."

Comment

Funny man! See, I don't need to compensate for certain, "shortcomings", that you may so i don't need to spend thousands on a router :)

Originally posted by shakeyjake View Post

Comment

Thanks for the replies eveyone (except Shakey). I'm thinking of one of the following:

Netgear WNR834 Gigabit Edition

Linksys N Gigabit
              Linksys N Gigabit Gaming

D-Link Xtreme N

And possibly, if I can find it:

Asus

Which, pretty much hits all of the major brands. Now, to narrow it down within those choices.

Comment

Linksys WRT54G with dd-wrt installed = router pwnage.

Not draft N, but sooo damn good with everything else.

check out http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

edit: you can more than likely flash the non-gaming linksys-N with the gaming firmware. probably just a google search away...

edit2: people like the Buffalo WHR-G54S too for dd-wrt...

Comment

Originally posted by jaymind View Post
                  Ok, need some opinions on a new wireless router (wireless to my wifes laptop, wired to my gaming machine).

Her Dell laptop has a wireless-N nic built in, so I'm shooting for a wireless-N router - granted it'll be the draft-N, but...

Needs a hardware firewall, easy setup and reliable. My last WRT54G from Linksys was great, but I went through 3 of them before I found one that wouldn't die or need daily reboots to run well.

I would love one that has a USB port for a USB hard drive hookup so I can have a networked harddrive for or itunes databases and pictures, etc..

Anyone have any good ideas?

Oh, and I'm thinking QoS would be nice since my wife loves to download **** while I'm gaming online which throws my ping through the roof.
                  I just went through the same process and settled on the Linksys WRT350N. It has everything you are looking for and all internal switch ports are gigabit rather than 100MB.

I've been very happy with it.
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                    I just went through the same process and settled on the Linksys WRT350N. It has everything you are looking for and all internal switch ports are gigabit rather than 100MB.

I've been very happy with it.
                    Thanks Apophis. I think I am going to go with this one. I was looking at the 330, but for $10 more I think this is a better deal.

Comment

I just got a D-Link DIR655 Extreme N, has the gaming QOS optimization, gig Ethernet ports all around. Liking it very much so far. Much fewer dropped connections to server at least for now.

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X