Headset Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headset Recommendations?

I value the broad experience in this forum...so here's my question.

What "high end" headset would you recommend for gaming?

I'm particularly interested in wearing comfort (for several hours at a stretch) and general sound quality, including a good microphone.

I'm currently using a Plantronics DSP-500 (USB connection). While I have no specific complaints (it's the best headset I've tried so far), I'm looking for input from others. Price (within reason) is not an issue.

Other bits...
    • I don't use speakers at all.
    • 5.1 surround sound isn't needed.
    • My PC is gaming focused and not used as a media source.
    • I don't have a sound card installed, but that's because the Plantronics headset uses it's own processor "in line". I'm willing to put in a sound card if needed.
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Re: Headset Recommendations?

If you're satisfied with the DSP-500, stick with it. Although, getting a X-Fi Gamer and 5.1 headphones is a pretty good setup. You'll get EAX HD and surround sound. Otherwise, stick with what you've got because it's not worth changing unless you go X-Fi.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I use the Typhoon Bass Headset. It is pretty cheap and very good quality. I recommend them. :)
      |TG| Lorian
      Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

I use this

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/gh20.htm

Have no complaints, and find the mic to be very responsive!can find it on amazon cheaper though

Comment

I use this http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=7511 No complaints, plus only ran me 20 bucks.
          "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

So far my favorite of all are the eDiminsional AudioFX set I bought from wOOt awhile back. A review can be found here. I think I've been using them for 7 or 8 months and I don't know what I would do without the force feedback feature. My first thought when I got them was, OK, these are a little hokey, they were big, have funky L.E.D.s on the side and I thought the force feedback would just be a gimmick.

WRONG.. they are light weight, comfortable and the force feedback is great. I found I could use lower volumes for clarity and let the FF pick-up the bass and it makes a HUGE difference. I think that article states that vibration and volume aren't independent - but they are. There is also no problem for me with the mic issue noted in the review.

I would recommend a dedicated soundcard though, but try it without first. I had read another article that list on-board audio with this headset as being not-so-great. All articles I read stated they were really strictly a gamers headset because they were just average with movies and music. There are also no additional/special drivers that need to be loaded for them to work.

Edit: Heh! I just saw Jeepo's - they are the same as the eDimensional!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
              So far my favorite of all are the eDiminsional AudioFX set I bought from wOOt awhile back. A review can be found here. I think I've been using them for 7 or 8 months and I don't know what I would do without the force feedback feature. My first thought when I got them was, OK, these are a little hokey, they were big, have funky L.E.D.s on the side and I thought the force feedback would just be a gimmick.

WRONG.. they are light weight, comfortable and the force feedback is great. I found I could use lower volumes for clarity and let the FF pick-up the bass and it makes a HUGE difference. I think that article states that vibration and volume aren't independent - but they are. There is also no problem for me with the mic issue noted in the review.

I would recommend a dedicated soundcard though, but try it without first. I had read another article that list on-board audio with this headset as being not-so-great. All articles I read stated they were really strictly a gamers headset because they were just average with movies and music. There are also no additional/special drivers that need to be loaded for them to work.

Edit: Heh! I just saw Jeepo's - they are the same as the eDimensional!
              I have the same headset, bought from the same place, on the same day as P8riot (he copies me cause I'm cool). It really is a great headset. I do have a problem with the mic though. There is a horrible hum when I use that mic. I don't think it's a problem with the headset mic, but with the wiring in my office/workshop/lab. I have been using a USB mic and that works great.
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Razer Barracuda HP-1. Its extremely comfortable and it has pretty lights;)

http://www.razerzone.com/index.php?m...products_id=38
                "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                  If you're satisfied with the DSP-500, stick with it. Although, getting a X-Fi Gamer and 5.1 headphones is a pretty good setup. You'll get EAX HD and surround sound. Otherwise, stick with what you've got because it's not worth changing unless you go X-Fi.
                  Best advice in this thread. For gaming, unless you REALLY want EAX, I think that the DSP-500s are close to as good as it gets. They're definitely not audiophile quality, but they're more than enough for gaming (I'm very picky about my speakers).
                  Last edited by CingularDuality; 05-07-2007, 11:34 PM.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                    Best advice in this thread. For gaming, unless you REALLY want EAX, I think that the DSP-500s are close to as good as it gets.
                    I agree. Got my DSP-500s early last year and have loved them.

Comment

I have the Medusa Speed Link and I really like it. There was a big discussion on this forum awhile back, do a search and read it. People talk about a lot of different headsets there.
                      The Old Guy
                      kin3
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kin3 View Post
                        I have the Medusa Speed Link and I really like it. There was a big discussion on this forum awhile back, do a search and read it. People talk about a lot of different headsets there.
                        After the big deal that was made a few months ago I was surprised no one is mentioning them. I have the Medusa Home edition and I like them a lot. My roomate has them also.

Comment

Wait, 5.1 HEADSET? Would that be possible? I guess the headphones simulate surround sound or something with multiple speakers inside the earpieces or something?

If you DO have an X-Fi card (which I do) and are interested in a nice, high-quality sound experience because you are an audiophile (which I am) and have the hardware to do it, what high-quality headset would be recommended in THAT scenario? Anybody got any advice for the other end (X-Fi/5.1) of the equation? This would help me out a lot. Thanks. ^_^
                          |TG-Irr| Icefoxen
                          - Exercising more to deal with the plateau. (-72 lbs)
                          ^,,^
                          <->

Comment

Yeah I have my Xifi gamer card and forgot about the 5.1 headsets.. Which one right now fits a Xifi card? Headset wise? I want to hear those EAX noises and changes when playing

Comment

Originally posted by Icefoxen View Post
                              If you DO have an X-Fi card (which I do) and are interested in a nice, high-quality sound experience because you are an audiophile (which I am) and have the hardware to do it, what high-quality headset would be recommended in THAT scenario?
                              The only surround headphones that I've heard were the Medusas, and if you're an audiophile you'll be disappointed. They'd probably be good for gaming (which is what they're designed for), but the speakers were not very high quality and would absolutely suck for music or anything that you want real fidelity.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X