CD-Rom not detected

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD-Rom not detected

Sorry, for some reason it magically fixed itself on the 5th reboot. I guess it just hates me. Disregard.
    Last edited by H-Hour; 06-07-2004, 07:12 PM.
    [volun]

Re: CD-Rom not detected

Originally posted by H-Hour
    Ok, my CD-Rom has been acting screwy for quite a while, it skips CDs that play fine in other stereos, sometimes it fails to load a CD's information and I have to pop it out and back in, etc.

Well, yesterday I just switched CDs and when I put the new CD in it wouldn't load it, even when I tried again and again. I finally just gave up and listened to MP3's. Today I tried to figure it out, and realized that my D:\ drive no longer shows in Windows Explorer. I rebooted. I get this panel on the right with CD/DVD options that I usually just close on startup, but I clicked the CD panel this time and it said no CD-Rom was detected.

I was able to get the CD out with the manual release, and I put the CD back in that installs the CD-Rom, but of course it's not recognizing that the drive exists.

So, where should I start with trying to figure this out? Would my XP disk be any help or do I need to look online? I just don't know if it's a driver issue or if the whole CD-Rom has quit out on me. It was fairly cheap and I plan on replacing it, but if there's some way to get it working for now I'd really like that.

Thanks.
    Start with the usual stuff. Open your computer and reseat all cables to the CD-ROM drive, e.g. sound, IDE(flat ribbon cable), and power. Also reseat the IDE cable where it connects to the motherboard. Power on your PC and see if it recognizes it.

If that doesn't work, see if you can borrow someone else's CD-ROM drive and put it in your computer. There is a jumper, usually black, on the back of the CD-ROM drive. There will normally be two letters above the jumper: MS, SL, CS. Remember what it was set to before you set it to match your old CD-ROM drive. Otherwise, someone will be upset when you return their CD-ROM drive.

One other thing to try is to borrow an IDE cable from the same person you borrowed the CD-ROM drive. You can try swapping out the cables after swapping out the CD-ROM drive to see if it makes any difference.

Other than that, it is either OS related or motherboard related.

[volun]

Comment

Ill let you borrow my IDE cable but not my CD-ROM

!

I call it DIE* cable

~KriSpY

Comment

if hardware doesnt work for some reason, just chuck it out the window and scream.......no wait, thats a bad idea ;)
        From Adam Webb

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X