PC wont boot to desktop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC wont boot to desktop

I am experiencing problems with my PC lately so I am looking for guidance on what else I can try before I start to throw money at the thing.

What seems to be going on is that the PC posts just fine, no errors, and the Windows XP load screen pops up with the little progress bar doing its thing going from left to right. However once the splash screen disappears normally the desktop appears but all I get is a black screen and no other activity. Resetting and select Last Known Good Config does the same thing.

Selecting Safe Mode only displays drivers up to gagp30kx.sys (I think thats the right spelling) and stops there so I was thinking it could be a graphics issue but I see the light kick in on my keyboard and mouse so that makes me think that the system is only displaying the last driver before it starts doing something else like the mouse and keyboard.

I have booted into recovery mode from the CD and ran chkdsk on the boot drive and it did say it found some errors and fixed them but didnt let me know what the particulars were. Even after the fix I still get the same thing.

At a loss at this point simply because it isnt throwing enough info at me to figure what is wrong with the thing?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    LA

Re: PC wont boot to desktop

file system is probably corrupt. i suggest you reinstall the OS.

if there is critical data that you need to back up, you can put the hard drive into another machine and then access it. also you boot from a liveCD that allows you to mount the hard drive and then back up to some internet site or other backup media.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post
      file system is probably corrupt. i suggest you reinstall the OS.

if there is critical data that you need to back up, you can put the hard drive into another machine and then access it. also you boot from a liveCD that allows you to mount the hard drive and then back up to some internet site or other backup media.
      "

Comment

you can also try Ultimate Boot CD (google) and boot up with alternate credentials. If you aren't that familiar with the tech stuff, I'd take it to a local tech guy who can diagnose it.

- -

Comment

Hmm, both possible causes I can think of require you to reformat and reinstall Windows XP. Good luck. :)
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I had a problem similar to this and it turned out my wireless card went bad. I don't know why that was causing my computer not to boot but it was. I reformated and everything trying to figure out what was wrong and it still wouldn't work. Then I pulled out the wireless card and it has been working fine ever since. So my suggestion is to start taking out unnecessary hardware before you try anything. I ended up losing a bunch of stuff which I wouldn't have lost if I had tried pulling stuff out first.

Comment

Originally posted by jonan_ View Post
              I had a problem similar to this and it turned out my wireless card went bad. I don't know why that was causing my computer not to boot but it was. I reformated and everything trying to figure out what was wrong and it still wouldn't work. Then I pulled out the wireless card and it has been working fine ever since. So my suggestion is to start taking out unnecessary hardware before you try anything. I ended up losing a bunch of stuff which I wouldn't have lost if I had tried pulling stuff out first.
              You haven't installed any new software since this started have you? If you haven't then I would look into the hardware.

I think Jonan is on the right track. Remove everything that is nonessential and try to boot. If it boots then you know you have some kind of hardware conflict happening. Then start adding one piece at a time until the PC won't boot again. Then you'll know

If none of those options work then I would consider reformatting and reinstalling XP good luck
              sigpic

Comment

Update:

I didnt have much as far as hardware to remove to see where the problem might be so that didn't pan out so I wound up purchasing a new hard drive and reinstalled the OS. It's a pain but the good news is I am up and running. Even better news I could recover the stuff from my old drives. Life is good!

Thanks,
                LA
                Last edited by LadyAbyss; 05-12-2007, 10:08 PM. Reason: better english :P

Comment

Originally posted by LadyAbyss View Post
                  Update:

I didnt have much as far as hardware to remove to see where the problem might be so that didn't pan out so I wound up purchasing a new hard drive and reinstalled the OS. It's a pain but the good news is I am up and running. Even better news I could recover the stuff from my old drives. Life is good!

Thanks,
                  LA
                  Plus, hey, new hardware ;).

Apologies I came to this conversation late, and it is now a moot point, but just for reference for other people who might have similar problems...if the "last known good" startup doesn't work, use the built-in Windows Recovery Console. With it you can

• Use, copy, rename, or replace operating system files and folders.
                  • Enable or disable service or device startup the next time that start your computer.
                  • Repair the file system boot sector or the Master Boot Record (MBR).
                  • Create and format partitions on drives.

Usually in cases such as yours something has happened to one of the Windows operating system file. WRC will allow you to restore the OS files to its pristine state without a reinstall.
                  Twisted Firestarter
                  a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                  sigpic

Comment

I get this too but I get the Last known config screen about 8 out of 10 times I restart the computer and I have to do it several times.. I thought of old installs that went bad.. I also replaced my Power supply and my CMOS is still running..

Any options?

Power supply is good and Cmos is good, thats one of only reasons I get that error and both are good atm

Comment

i'd try doin an install of xp over the old install just don't delete the partition or format it and you shouldn't lose anything

best bet really or you could try the repair install or go the new hd route that worked above

good practice for os install is always have second partition with ur important stuff on it in case you have to reformat and reinstall you don't lose anything important

but alas you can't do that often on a system you buy from dell, etc since they are stupid and set the pcs up like crap

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X