Slow connection on one computer only

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow connection on one computer only

I recently came across a problem with my main computer.

the problem that i am having is that one computer.. behind no firewall, behind no router, is having an abnormally slow download/upload speeds
    for instance:

slow computer:
    121kbps down
    290kbps up

fast computer... connected with same ethernet cord.. same ethernet outlet from wall...

7711kbps down
    3777kbps up

this problem just happened... one night... computer is normal... shut it down... turned it on the next morning... and sloooooow started... i havent installed any new programs/drivers/updates/settings before during or after the change happened... i am stumped... anyone have any ideas? its making me frusterated

EDIT: i opened task manager, there is no other program hogging bandwidth at all, network activity when using speakeasy.net speed tester shows .12% of 100mbps (it never goes above .12%)
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: Slow connection on one computer only

I dunno if it will help, but the first thing I would do is uninstall and reinstall everything under the general tab of network connection properties and your nic card driver. If that didn't work I would switch out the nic card.

Comment

hrm, its onboard lan adapter =(
      powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

can you describe your setup?

what kind of internet connection, network setup etc

not sure what to tell you without knowing that stuff

i guess you could check to make sure all the network properties are the same for both network ports under network connections ... make sure your not running some different protocol that could be slowing you down, etc

also check to make sure you don't have any program running you are not sure of ... i know you said that you hadn't installed anything new but could have gotten a virus or something, adware, spyware, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
          hrm, its onboard lan adapter =(
          So what, nic cards are $7

Comment

do you have another comp you can transfer files to over lan?

did you throttle the bandwith somehow?

when it transfers files over the internet, is it constatnly slow? or does it start and stop with long pauses of no data?

is it slow with all protocals like ftp as well as http?

boot into a linux live CD and see if data transmission is slow, this should tell you wether its a software or hardware issue. try knoppix live CD for this.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X