Intel E6600
    evga 680i SLI MB (P26 default settings)
    2 gig G.Skil DDR2 800 RAM
    Antec 650 watt PS
    PNY 8800 GTS video card
    Zalman 9500 cooling
    Idle temps are 25 on the cpu, 51 on the gpu
    All drivers are up to date

The first three weeks or so it ran flawlessly. Then, last week, an issue arose. At some point, the screen just goes black. The rig is still running, but it locks up to black screen. I shut it down, reboot and it won't post. IF I remove the power cord for a few minutes, it'll post, but usually go back to black screen before even getting to Windows.
    This week it's gotten worse. I can pull the cord over night and then get maybe 30-45 minutes before it craps out, then it won't get to Windows even if I pull the power again.

I've replaced the power supply - still happens. Memory seems ok, tho I haven't been able to run a memtest. I have pull one stick, then the other and no change. I've moved the video card to the other PCIe slot - still no change.

I found a friend who has an extra PCI video card which I will try out this evening. I'm thinking at this point if the black screen crash occurs with his card too that the only thing I can do is replace the mobo. However I'm no expert in building rigs, so I may be missing something that the gurus here may not.

If you've got any ideas for me, please don't hesitate to throw them out, I'll try to answer any questions that I can.

I'm going thru gamer withdrawal - help! I need a fix!
    "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
    EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
    PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Re: Big problem with new rig, need HELP!

next time you want to start the PC up remove the power cord and then remove the battery for the MB. CLick your power button and it should try ot power up, then put the battery back in and then put the power back in. THis should reset any settings the BIOS might have made, which might be causing some issues. Try that and let us know.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I am sure you have done this but did you remember to plug the power into the video card?

Comment

Yes, I even switched connectors to see if that made a difference.
        "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."

Comment

Have you tried clearing your motherboard CMOS? Sometimes it might be due to a incorrect setting.

That whole problems sounds just like the one I had with a defective motherboard a while back. My problem was solved by replacing the board with its defective memory controller (Gigabyte still won't acknowledge it has a problem). Try swapping in memory you know that works and booting with the new memory. If it boots fine and goes through the stress tests fine, then it's a memory issue with the pair of RAM you bought.

I can't stress how important it is to make sure your RAM works on your motherboard without any overclocking. A lot of people buy performance memory for their motherboards and find out later it isn't fully compatible and causes them huge headaches.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Unfortunately, I have nothing to test with. The old PC I had was older technology

old was EIDE, new is SATA
            old was 180pin ram, new is 240pin
            old was AGP video, new is PCIe

Because of this, it does make testing difficult.

I've gone into the BIOS and set everything to default, is this not the same as clearing the CMOS? If it is not the same, I'm not real familiar with clearing the CMOS beyond what Trooper posted above.

Comment

clearing cmos usualy involves a specific procedure where you short a jumper on the motherboard with power disconected. it may help, or it may not.

this seems to be hardware related for sure.

The fact that it wont post unless you let it sit for a while makes me think this is an overheating issue. The temps you posted are idle, what are they like under load?

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Even the loaded temps aren't too bad. I don't have them however. I've been reading on the mobo makers forum, anyone have experience with the 680i mobos?
                I've been reading about the LED code I'm seeing. It's not listed. just a "--".

I'm gonna test with another video card when I get home, check the cmos, but it could be a short somewhere on the board.

Comment

Update:

So here's the latest:

I got another video card from a friend, within 10 minutes, crapped out.

So I pulled the power, popped out the battery on the motherboard to reset the CMOS. Rebooted, crapped out in less than five.

I then pulled the mobo from the case, set it on the table, connected the essentials (video, HD, mouse, keyboard). Runs for almost an hour. shut down, hook up the DVD drive and speakers; reboot, been running for over and hour now - no problems.

I'm not ready to shout victory, but it's starting to look like there could have been a short on the case somewhere. The only difference in this system and the one crashing is I left out an IDE slave drive. Can't see how that was a problem, so I still think there was a short on the case. Obviously I can leave it out of the case, but I intend to run like this today and tomorrow to see if the problem happens again.

Thoughts?

Comment

Do not stress yet.... I have the same motherboard and had a couple issues with what you are talking about. I am using a Q6600 and runs great on that board!!

1st and foremost you are 2 bios revisions behind!! You need the p28 bios and once you go though the NVidia web forums or the Evga info, you will see allot of people had similar issues with stability until the last Bios. The older Bios had lots of timing issues with the CPU and Dual cores. There was also issues with the Video.

Go and get the new Bios and run it default and is should clear up that nasty issue you are having....

Bios Revision P28

Also with that board Bios updates are so easy!! Once you donload the exe file, simply put it on a disk. Than leave the disk in and during Post and hit ALT/F2 and it will do its thing automatically without needing to make a boot disk or anything. It takes a total of maybe one minute and you will not be dissapointed!

Once you get the Bios updated, it unlocks allot of tweak settings that dramatically improved my machine even more. You can overclock the piss out of the Duo cores with some minor timing adjustments!

If you need any help with that board just drop a PM....
                    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Appreciate the ideas on the bios update. I've been on the EVGA boards all week, and while one person mentioned updating, most said the LED code "--" meant the board was probably going bad. However since I've been running it outside the case, that code has not happened.

Unfortunately I don't have a floppy drive in this case (although I guess I could salvage one). I have seen an iso for making a CD tho. Do you know anything about doing it that way?

Comment

I got those codes when I was messing with certian memory. -- for me was a set of memory that was not working in that board. I actually had bad memory, which pissed me off since I paid 300+ for the pair, luckly I had 2 sets, while the others were exhanged. One thing to watch out for with memory in that board, if it is not SLI memory, make sure the option is turned off in the BIOS or it will create havoc.

The .iso is pretty simple as well, same process, just a CD that is being used...

Here is the link to the NForce update and for choosing a new bios (i.e. iso):
                        Link
                        Last edited by TheBigC; 05-19-2007, 12:11 PM.
                        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

if the board is running great outside the case maybe its a current problem, static buildup or something. If nothing else works put a peice of notebook paper under the MB and then screw it to the case.

do that after you run C's thing and see what happens
                          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                          -Vulcan

Comment

Will do. Thanks.

Comment

Banyan, as you know I have nearly the same rig you do. I did notice with MY 680i mobo that many of the printed circuit leads are TERRIBLY close to the screw mounts.

Meaning, if jo-blow comes along with a screw that's too large you can short out the board from the screw head. LUCKILY, I noticed this problem (since I've put together many systems) and I compensated by simply using a screw with a smaller head.

I suggest you check this out as it MAY be what your problem is. Also, you've gotta make sure you've put BOTH power connectors into your GPU and make sure your 12V connector(s) are attached properly. Check your ATX connector for burnouts as well.

As for the BIOS, it doesnt sound like that's the problem... but of course you should flash to the most recent.

My last theory is simply PSU and/or UPS. If you're using a UPS, make sure it's working and is giving enough wattage. Ideally, only put your computer itself on the battery-backup end and the rest on just the surge protection... just to be safe. Even if your UPS is hefty enough, if they're not in good shape they can give your system dirty power and muck up the works. As for your PSU, you should be ok with 650Watts.. but safer with 700+. There's a chance perhaps one of the rails isnt giving enough juice for a particular mobo function. Not ALL PSUs are sli/680i rated as the voltage/wattage requirements are different. Check your PSU power ratings and make sure they're enough for EACH rail individually.

Anyways, if you nip all that in the bud then you should be ok IMO.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X