Can't boot to windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't boot to windows

I recently bought a new motherboard, processor, ram, graphics card and power supply. They are:
    Asus Commando motherboard
    2Gb OCZ Ram
    ATI X1950 XTX
    650W power supply

The hard drives and DVD drive were taken from my existing PC.
    On the primary hard drive, I have Windows XP and Suse 9.0 which worked fine on the old PC. Once I moved the hard drives over to the new hardware, I got a GRUB Hard disk error. I used the recovery console to run fixboot and fixmbr. I no longer have the GRUB error, the system tries to load Windows, which is what I want (I only care about the Windows installation).
    The problem is that I get to this screen, and no matter what I choose, the system immediately restarts itself and I eventually get back to the same screen. I dont think the problem is a faulty hard drive, when I put them back into the old system, it booted perfectly. What do you think the problem is?

Thanks,
    Shiv
    || Shiv14

Re: Can't boot to windows

try booting into safe mode if you can

if you can't reinstall windows over your current install and it should fix your problem without deleting anything just make sure you don't reformat the drive

alternatively you can try to let windows repair the install if it detects it during the setup phase of windows xp

if you can get into safe mode see if you have any kinda conflicts in your device manager but sounds like your having an issue with the new mobo and the driver windows is trying to use for the ntoskrnl

Comment

You have to do a repair install if you're replacing the motherboard. Although, it's best to do a complete reinstall if you're replacing something as drastic as the motherboard.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Try updating all the drivers.
        The Old Guy
        kin3
        sigpic

Comment

I strongly suggest you do a clean install of windows. By replacing the motherboard, cpu, ram and graphics card, you are essentially replacing the entire computer. You will have left over drivers from your old computer hardware which will most likely interfere with new hardware if you simply try to update the drivers etc.

if you still have files on you computer that you need to get at, things will get a bit more tricky. You can them up to the Internet or some removable media with the help of a linux (live CD) boot disk like knoppix.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I spent an hour watching the install screen repairing windows, everytime the progress bar got to two thirds of the way it rebooted and just kept doing it. I am thinking of buying a new hard drive.
            If I bought a new hard drive and installed windows, could i connect the one with the problem as a slave and copy files from it?

Thanks again,
            Shiv
            || Shiv14

Comment

should be able to do that with no problems

or you could do a clean install of windows over the old version and shouldn't lose anything but the new hd install is the best bet to work

you might have to go into disk management by right clicking on my computer and choosing manage then left clickin on disk management

if it doesn't appear right click on disk management and choose rescan disks and if it is there but not detected under my computer may have to right click on the disk and choose import foreign disk

then you should be able to use it like a normal hd

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X