Smartphones & PDAs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smartphones & PDAs

I recently purchased the Cingular 8525 PDA phone running Windows Mobile 5.0. This is my first PDA device and I've been enjoying the 3G superfast internet connection, along with the wi-fi.

I wanted to find out if anyone else uses a WM5 PDA device and if there is any recommended software.

I'm also not finding all that many mobile based internet sites out there. Any suggestions?
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Smartphones & PDAs

Awesome google app goodness for you mobile device can be found here:

http://www.google.com/mobile/
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Comment

Yep... so far I've installed google email and google maps. I'm tempted to pick up a bluetooth GPS too.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

you NEED a slingbox and slingplayer
        fizz weather
        facade
        map4pda
        the core player

this should be a good start...
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Did you buy the pda-phone for the phone or the pda functions?
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Nice, do you have UMTS service with that phone?

I've worked on wireless networks for 8 years now (6 years on UMTS) and the only mobile phone I have is the cheapest bare-bones phone on the market. :)
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              Did you buy the pda-phone for the phone or the pda functions?
              I used to have a smartphone because I rely on syncing calendar / contacts / tasks with outlook. I decided that they finally had a pda phone small enough with decent features (i.e. wifi). So I finally moved up to the pda phone.

Originally posted by icky View Post
              Nice, do you have UMTS service with that phone?

I've worked on wireless networks for 8 years now (6 years on UMTS) and the only mobile phone I have is the cheapest bare-bones phone on the market. :)
              Yeah, this has the UTMS.

So far the download speeds have been pretty darn fast. I've been happy with it.
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

Hmm, does the one you bought feature the use of a stylus?
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Anyone seen any good wifi phones? Stuff that works with Asterisk would be ideal. I want to set up Asterisk at the office as our PBX system.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                    Anyone seen any good wifi phones? Stuff that works with Asterisk would be ideal. I want to set up Asterisk at the office as our PBX system.
                    Yup!

This phone is VERY nice:
                    Linksys WIP330

Cisco makes a Cisco-branded one in addition to the Linksys model, but it's rather pricey.
                    Cisco IP Phone 7920

The Linksys works great with asterisk, but I've never tried the 7920.
                    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                      Yup!

This phone is VERY nice:
                      Linksys WIP330
                      Yikes, did you see the 2 customer reviews there? :icon_eek:
                      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                        Yikes, did you see the 2 customer reviews there? :icon_eek:
                        I did.

Step 1: Update firmware.

Step 2: Make sure your wireless network has adequate coverage for the phones.

There are a lot of complaints about range, but people seem to confuse the range capabilities with that of a conventional cordless phone. That's not the case. You need to have wireless coverage in your service area adequate enough to carry 802.11G.

Disclaimer: I only set the system up with Asterisk using VoicePulse as the provider. The network consisted of a fully meshed 802.11G wireless network using 4 commercial grade Cisco modular wireless access points. The Linksys WIP330's were deployed without issue and during the setup no lockups or loss of SIP connectivity were noted. Since deployment a few months ago, no complaints have been reported with the system but there is only limited use of the WIP330's within the organization.

Comment

Because they use SIP and not IAX, they'd only be useful for talking to a local Asterisk system, not through NAT to an outside provider, right? Does that cause any issues when used with the local Asterisk, or is SIP sufficient for that kind of deployment?
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The cingular 8525 uses wifi, but I have no idea if Asterisk would work on it.
                            |TG-12th| asch
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                              Because they use SIP and not IAX, they'd only be useful for talking to a local Asterisk system, not through NAT to an outside provider, right? Does that cause any issues when used with the local Asterisk, or is SIP sufficient for that kind of deployment?
                              You can use SIP through NAT to an external provider. The newer Asterisk builds deal with that quite well. Internally, you would want to use IAX2 whenever possible though.

Asterisk will deal with either SIP or IAX2 without worry, even with NAT. That being said, I have heard that some firewalls DO cause issues with SIP if they're running NAT. If you have the IP address space and do want do use Asterisk behind a firewall you could always use a Cisco PIX and use PAT instead of NAT.

I think we're getting a bit off Asch's original thread. Maybe we should fork to a new thread to talk about Asterisk and some of these cool VoIP solutions.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X