Testing XP Service Pack 2 RC1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing XP Service Pack 2 RC1

I got a pre-release of SP2 from the Microsoft security summit I attented at the Reliant center this last wednesday. I figured I'd load it on my VMware XP machine to test it. Hopefully, it won't explode on me. There's supposed to be a whole bunch of new goodies to play with. I guess I'll find out shortly.

Re: Testing XP Service Pack 2 RC1

Microsoft released Windows XP Service Pack 2 RC2 Monday night.

See story here

I do what I can. :icon_smil
    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Yeah, I got it at a TS2 seminar few weeks ago... seems good so far...

(and my free copy of virtual Pc is in the mail w00t!)

Comment

i wonder if my "version" will work ;)
        From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag
          i wonder if my "version" will work ;)
          My "version" didn't but with some tweaks to my comp, it did.

Comment

BTW: If you aquired XP through less than legal means, SP2 is going to give you some problems.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
              BTW: If you aquired XP through less than legal means, SP2 is going to give you some problems.

I have a 100% legal copy, but what problems are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra
                I have a 100% legal copy, but what problems are you talking about?
                Well, I took my XP install (legal copy) through VMware off my co-workers PC. Since it was installed on different hardware, XP thinks the CD key is invalid. SP2 detects this and won't install the service pack. If this holds true, then any CD key that has seen wide-spread piracy use will be invalid and you will not be able to install the service pack.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                  Well, I took my XP install (legal copy) through VMware off my co-workers PC. Since it was installed on different hardware, XP thinks the CD key is invalid. SP2 detects this and won't install the service pack. If this holds true, then any CD key that has seen wide-spread piracy use will be invalid and you will not be able to install the service pack.
                  Not that I would know anything about this, but SP1 did the same thing. Then new keys were released on the web. Actually one "generator" will give you about 40 keys to choose from and actually take you back to the "register" screen so you can change your key or so I've been told.
                  Last edited by Fait_Maker; 06-17-2004, 10:06 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

FYI once you get past SP1, you will not have any trouble wish SP2.

Experience

Comment

XP SP2 RC2 Beta has been released to the public.

You may download it HERE.

It is 270MB in size.

WARNING!

This technical preview is unsupported and is intended for testing purposes only. Do not use in production environments.
                      I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X