Games on Vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Games on Vista

I can't seem to run BF2 or ArmA Combat Operations on my Vista machine. BF2's splash image comes onto the desktop, it then goes to black screen and then it crashes to desktop. Arma shows the company splash screens and then shows me a small text thing in the bottom left of the screen that says 'recieving...' and there's what seems to be a progress bar at the top left.

Besides the fact that I don't seem to be able to play anything, apparently, Vista doesn't seem too bad so far.

Any suggestions about how to get this thing working?

Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 gigs ram
    32 OS (Windows Vista Home Premium

Re: Games on Vista

Replace Vista with Linux. You still won't be able to game with it, but everything else should work better. :D
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
      Replace Vista with Linux. You still won't be able to game with it, but everything else should work better. :D
      I ran Vista for 3 months and had success off and on with keeping the games running but eventually it got to where none of my games would run on Vista. I finally about 2 weeks ago gave up and went back to Windows XP. It was hard for me to concede since I work in IT and know a little more than the average user.. but I got tired of chasing the "fix" for the games. I know that eventually the hardware and software companies will catch up with Vista but I think I will wait till then before I switch back.

I saw a post last night with some more ideas to try but again.. I am tired of chasing the "fix".. I installed XP and now everything works without any problems.. kinda sad since I bought this nasty monster machine to run Vista... ohh well.. maybe in about a year.

Comment

A good thread on Vista can be found here

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...tml#post713275

Comment

I'll try that stuff, I guess.

Comment

I agree with this notion.

It also allows you to have a minimal Windows install, so when you boot into Windows to play games it runs nice and fast.
            |TG| Lorian
            Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Sure, about after 24 hours of compiling the damn thing you should be up and running crappy open source software in no time.

Comment

Open Source != Crap Software.

You can purchase retail flavors of Linux with nice GUI interfaces (some rivaling the beauty of Vista) ranging from $20 to $120 (some higher).
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Only the hard core (like me ;)) compile their own code, and I don't compile the whole system, just stuff I need to customize, or stuff I want to debug because the developer isn't focused on my bug but working one someone else's feature.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I suspect your problem may be video card driver related, what card are you running?

I kept getting bf2 memory allocation errors and nvidia driver errors after installing Vista U 64bit.

My system is

Core 2 Duo (conroe e6600) @ 3.4ghz
                    2gb Corsair Dominator pc8500
                    evga 680i nforce
                    evga 8800 gtx
                    xfi extreme gamer

I had allot of hard drive thrashing in bf2 and allot of hard drive activity in windows. Al Basrah loaded like sludge if it even loaded, usualy it would crash. The bf2 memory allocation errors caused map change crashes.

The only change I made is swapping out my 2x1gb sticks for 2x2gb sticks. Vista 64 works like a dream now, the crashes have virtualy ceased to exist. All my disk thrashing in bf2 and windows in general is gone. At one point I alt-tabbed out of PR and launched the task manager. Physical memory useage was at 2.39 gb, no wonder it was thrashing.

I was playing at 16x12x32 16x AF / 8xQ AA, everthing cranked in bf2.

Im using the Youp-Pax 2007 cd package on my XFI. Im running 158.18 on my 8800gtx. I've tried all the beta's newer than 158.18 and they are severely crash happy on my system.

I shouldn't jinx myself, but everything is running fine now and the event viewer is clean.

$239.00 at the egg, money well spent imo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231122

Comment

The only game I've been running on Vista sine last week is Halo2. Its piss poor performance is nothing to brag about either.

Comment

Granted, I have an uber-machine running vista at the moment, but My brother runs vista on my old machine, plays bf2, ArmA, and a range of other games with no problems.
                        The specs on his machine are:
                        Core2 Duo e6300 @ 1.83 GHz
                        2GB DDR2 PC7200
                        Onboard sound
                        Radeon x1350 Pro

My machine:
                        Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield quad core 1066mhz FSB
                        8GB Corsair PC8500 DDR2
                        Dual Radeon x1950 Pro Crossfire Limited
                        Dual boot Vista OS (64bit premium and 32 bit premium).

Neither machine has had any hitches aside from the intermittent lag caused by the wireless zero configuration, but I fixed that ages ago. Make sure your drivers are current, and I dont mean through windows update. Go to the Nvidia or ATI websites and get the latest drivers for your vid cards, do the same with all of your other components.

Comment

Woooooooow. I feel truly stupid, once again. Apparently I simply needed a better video card than the integrated POS that Intel provided. I am, after a few hundred bucks, much waiting around at Circuit City while they installed my new power supply, and many gripes with my buddy about Fast and the Furious 2 (which was playing on a beautiful massive LCD screen), I am now running on an 8800 GTS which is allowing me the pleasure of playing pretty much all of my games at the highest possible resolutions (except Arma, which gets small bits of lag when everything is at max). I have yet to test Oblivion on it since I have apparently lost the disc, but as soon as I find it I will check it out as well.

Thank God I asked my friend what could possibly be causing all of the problems. He asked straight away "what video card do you have?" and the problem was quickly solved thereafter.

Comment

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Enjoy your new card.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X