Gaming Mouse/KB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming Mouse/KB

I've never owned a gaming mouse or a keyboard. Because my funds have generally been limited to internal components, I've never had the opportunity to explore the benefits of gaming peripherals.

My initial question: do gaming mice make a quantifiable difference in gameplay? Extra buttons, improved response, and superior ergonomics seem to provide a significant advantage. Outside of mice, do keyboards designed for gaming make any real difference or are they not worth the hefty investment? All rubber dome keyboards seem the same to me, minus media features and wrist rests.

Also, would anyone have any recommendations for attractively-priced gaming mice? I'm looking into the ~$50 range. Thanks!

Re: Gaming Mouse/KB

Keyboard: Dig up or buy online an old IBM Model M. Give it one week and you'll never want to touch today's cheap garbage ever again.

Gaming keyboards are usually just a driver that intercepts extended keyboard codes and issues macros for you. I've only heard of one board that even attempted to fix The Problem With Keyboards And Gaming, which is an ages-old comprimise that allows a hundred keys without two hundred wires. (Which is why you can't hit more than three keys plus a Shifting key (Shift, Ctrl, Alt, etc) without further keys being ignored.)

Mice: YES. They are important. Here's what you need to know...

DPI: This is how much motion equates to one 'mickey', which is the base unit of motion the mouse sends the OS. Cheap opticals are usually 200 or 400 dpi. Game mice are 800, 1200, 1600, or 2000. More is always better, but the higher the sensitivity you use, the more dpi is worth to you.

There are only a few brands/models that really get much attention.

Logitech MX518: Right handed, 1600 dpi, the best all-round.
    Logitech G5: Right handed, 2000 dpi, laser. Works great but does NOT like fast movements. Don't get it if you use a lot of mousepad and arm action.
    Razer series: As far as I know they're ambidexterous. Razer has its loyalists, but from what I hear, they have reliability issues over time.
    Microsoft: If you like the shape of them, they're generally solid.

Now, just like with processors, you can overclock a mouse. Or, more precisely, the port. A PS/2 mouse can be polled at 60, 100, and 200Hz. (default is usually 60 or 100, you must force 200 to get 200.) A USB mouse can go 125, 250, 500, and 1000Hz. The higher the refresh, the better your tracking. However, there are two things to consider:

1) Mice have their limits. I hear MX518 will burn if you force it to 1000 (500 is okay).
    2) Your FPS may be a limiting factor.

Number 2 is important for Counterstrike Source, because the game only looks at input on each rendered frame, so if you're dragging 100fps or fewer, overclocking USB to 500+ is silly and does nothing but give your already-choking CPU more work to do.

Conclusion: If you like the shape of logitech, get MX518 or G5. If not, just read some reviews and see what's the best bang for buck. Antique Keyboards for the win.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
      Razer has its loyalists.
      That would be me.

As for the keyboards, I have the G15.

It's pretty nice. The keys have a back light that can be set to different light levels and the keys have a nice feel to them. You get G Keys which can be set to open up application, set up macros to, and to act as extra buttons. Plus, you get the nice LCD. The LCD displays things like CPU and ram usage usage but you can also download a driver so it displays your in-game round stats while playing games.

Alot more features to it, you should check it out.

It can be expensive but I got mine during the holidays and at a discount so it was cheap.

Comment

Aspie, you are killing us too much right now. I dont want you to get better perifs. unless we are on the same side. Really I am new to this and didnt think I would like the keyboard and mouse but I have changed my mind. Getting used to it and it is better to me. I would go the best mouse though. Better control.

Comment

Razer Diamondback mouse and Saitek Eclipse keyboard here and I love them both!

Comment

I've got a G15 keyboard and mx518 mouse. The keyboard is real nice, don't really use the macros that often, but the lcd is pretty handy, plugins for a whole mess of stuff, like in TS it can display who is talking and stuff, or how many points you need to rank up.

The mx518 feels great! I use it on its highest dpi, and it is incredibly responsive.

My advice: keyboard, if its got keys and you like it, its good. Mouse, if you're a twitch/high sens person, the 518 is real nice. Do some googling/searching on the forums, there was a good mouse thread somewhere recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
              I've got a G15 keyboard and mx518 mouse. The keyboard is real nice, don't really use the macros that often, but the lcd is pretty handy, plugins for a whole mess of stuff, like in TS it can display who is talking and stuff, or how many points you need to rank up.

The mx518 feels great! I use it on its highest dpi, and it is incredibly responsive.

My advice: keyboard, if its got keys and you like it, its good. Mouse, if you're a twitch/high sens person, the 518 is real nice. Do some googling/searching on the forums, there was a good mouse thread somewhere recently.
              I'll second the general sentiment above, and in this thread. Mice matter. Keyboards, less so.

If you can splurge on a nice keyboard, more power to you, but it's far from the difference-maker that a really responsive mouse can be, especially in FPS games (YMMV if you play things like RPGs more often than not).

I use a G5, and I'm pretty pleased with it. I make use of its ability to change sensitivity on the fly rather often. My only complaint is that the mousewheel doesn't click down and play its middle button role NEARLY as well as I think it should (I actually mapped the thumb button to middle click just so I'd stop trying).
              [volun2]
              NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
              Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
              <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
              <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I have an Nostromo n52 gaming pad that takes the place of the keyboard during games. It has a lot of programmable buttons to make it do what you want it to do. I really like it. It makes my game play much better as all the keys are in an easy to get to place. And doesn't cost an arm and a leg also.

Also a G5 mouse that I like.
                The Old Guy
                kin3
                sigpic

Comment

Thank for for all the helpful responses thus far! I'm going to take a trip to a few retail stores today and try out a few mice.

Comment

Decided on the MS/Razer Habu. Great fit, amazing precision, and simply a great mouse. Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Keyboard: Came with my Aspire Mouse and Keyboard combo. It's lime green. Functional. Fine.

Mouse: JUST replaced my mouse. My Aspire was acting up. I got an MX518 by Logitech. Adjustable DPI right on the mouse! 6 settings too, if you'd like. stock is 400, 800, and 1600. Ohhh its nice. Sniping? Lower it with the click of the - button. Playing a shotgun? Raise it with the + button. Want to customize other settings? Add whatever DPI you like.

The moust features two side buttons that you can program to any key. So say...you want reload on the side. Check.

:) 50 bucks worth every penny.
                      Skud

Comment

I prefer the 518 over the G series due to the 518's two thumb buttons.

But I just lock the mouse on 1200 dpi and reprogram the sensitivity buttons to rifle/frags im most games.

The two thumb buttons are crouch and prone.

Comment

i think that the G series now has two buttons if i'm not mistaken? Anyway, my one buttoned G5 is awesome.

Comment

I currently use the Logitech Optical Desktop -> wireless mouse/keyboard set. Don't really like too much wires on my desk. The mouse pretty much sucks though when it comes to precision so I was about to buy a G7. Changed my mind when I saw the ugly green color it came with.

The MX518 looks ok but then there 's that bloody wire again... I now have my hopes up for a new G7 with a better look and 2 thumb buttons :). I really love extra mouse buttons for quick weapon switching and don't think I 'll ever buy a mouse without em.

G15 keyboard looks awesome, but it 's really huuuuuge:

Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Aye, G15 is pretty damn big on my desk, building a new one this summer though.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X