Yet another vista question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another vista question

I only use windows for gaming, and perhaps a few other things that are not available in my preferred OS.

I am going to upgrade to Vista and due to what's available to me at reasonable prices I need to choose between the 'Home Premium' and 'Business' editions. I can get the business edition for about $20 cheaper than the premium.

What would be the best for gaming? Is the media centre and movie making stuff in premium worth the extra $20?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Yet another vista question

I just got done doing the whole upgrade, "to vista or not to vista" thing. If you only use it for gaming, I would wait. I have had hella time getting Vista to work well with all my devices. Luckily, this isn't the computer I use for gaming, so it is fine. I would wait a bit, until the 64bit versions have more driver support.

If you have to do it now, get the home premium package, because the media center functionality might become useful to you in a year, and you'll be regretting it, especially if you have a tv-tuner card or a xbox360.

Goodluck!

Comment

Also the Business edition does not come with a DVD decoder if you want to use Windows Media Player for DVDs. The Premium and Ultimate packages do however.
      |TG-12th| Sawviper

Comment

The home version lacks remote desktop server. If you ever want to control your machine from another machine, you need the business version.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I've been using Vista Business for a few months. It's been mostly hassle free and definitely usable as a gaming OS.

- If you need remote desktop access, go with VNC. It's Vista capable and free.

- I've always liked third party DVD players.

- The only device that has zero support in my Vista transition was my tv tuner, which isn't supported by ATI anymore. There were some weird issues getting my USB key recognized, mainly because of U3.

- My MX900 mouse has some problems. It's Bluetooth and works as a mouse. Logitech has software so I retain all the same functions as before. However, the BT hub is not supported. I got it working once by a crazy hack with older Widcomm drivers. I switched to the new Logitech BT Mouseware and lost support and never bothered to switch back.

- My X-Fi Platinum works but isn't fully featured. Creative has crap driver support. They've only released basic support. All the fancy software that came with the card doesn't work. So my remote has no software. Although, I could buy other software that can program the remote.

I'd recommend Business. You can always buy any media software later or find free versions. Vista is pretty good with software support. It's not like a bunch of apps will suddenly stop working.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Yeah, I use vlc or mplayer under linux for all my multimedia. I also never use remote desktop, instead opting for vnc, but I only ever usually need/use ssh and a shell.

I do have an X-Fi XtremeGamer and was hoping that it would work. I see that they released a new driver at the end of May...did that solve any problems?
            Last edited by Brewski; 06-01-2007, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Can you remote desktop into an XP computer?

Comment

Originally posted by jonan_ View Post
                Can you remote desktop into an XP computer?
                Yes, if it's XP Pro. You can't do it with the Home version. I do this all the time, remoting from my Win2k system at home through OpenVPN to my company Linux gateway and then into my XP Pro box in my cube.

With XP and Vista, you can have one remote "session". With Windows 2003 Server, you can have up to 4. (And with Linux, you can have however many X sessions and ssh connections that the bandwidth and hardware can handle.)

I suspect the issue with the X-Fi driver is the DRM that MS is shoving down everyone's throats with Vista. They want the drivers and hardware to enforce DRM protection of any media you play, locking you out of ripping the bit stream in any way.

Another issue with new Vista drivers (that I think is a good idea) is moving some of the driver up into user space, to make the system more robust against driver bugs. But it makes the driver harder to code, because you now have two pieces to get working, a relatively thin kernel piece for raw hardware access and a large and complex user piece (that should hold all the proprietary stuff like codecs).
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I use Vista and half my games crash on a regular basis. It's a real pain, so I'd avoid it until the drivers mature and the developers start to program with Vista in mind. When DX10 games are out, then it'll be bliss.

Comment

I upgraded to Vista Ultimate from XP. Now I have to run a beta driver for a sound card and it eats up 45% of 2gb RAM just to run the OS with all the options open. I had to deal with game crashes, application inconsistency and way too many built in security features that became annoying (but a lot can be manually turned off). So what I did is just wipe the drive completely and created a 50gb partition and installed both XP and Vista. If I try to play BF2142 on vista I get blank punkbusters, key packet loss and efficiency loss so I just run Office applications and games in XP and do everyday tasks in Vista.

Comment

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
                      Yeah, I use vlc or mplayer under linux for all my multimedia. I also never use remote desktop, instead opting for vnc, but I only ever usually need/use ssh and a shell.

I do have an X-Fi XtremeGamer and was hoping that it would work. I see that they released a new driver at the end of May...did that solve any problems?
                      I just installed the YouPax drivers. It's basically some hacked drivers that make the software that used to work in XP work in Vista. It's still missing some features like DVD-audio decoding but all the basic sound features work. My remote works now!

All of my games work and I haven't had any serious crashing problems. I've pretty much found workarounds to anything wrong or new drivers come out that fix any problems.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I like Vista, the only problem I have had is Battlefield 2142. But then I just did the fix here and now I hardly crash at all:

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbat...92&tid=2038426

I use the Buisness version, which is fine since I never use windows media center.

Comment

I think that the business version is fine. personally im gonna go with my "wait at least a year for a 2nd gen version" of Windows products to come out before going thru the hassles people have been having with driver incompatibilities.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X