Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumping AOL - Help with creating a new e-mail address.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumping AOL - Help with creating a new e-mail address.

Yes, I've finally decided to dump AOL. I'm tired of paying $15.00 a month for the hassle of their fire wall protection (I have to turn it off, if I want to play), the constant updates that pop on my screen and the updates closing any game I'm playing.

Thanks to all that have told me I'm crazy (Snail) for using AOL, so I've finally seen the light.

I just created a Yahoo e-mail address as what will be my one address. But some questions:

1) Anyone recommend another e-mail address provider I should be using?

2) When I dump AOL, what should I be using for security (firewall,etc)? Do I have to buy something?

3) I'm in the process of switching all my game log-ins, etc. to the new Yahoo address (though will wait) so is their anything I need to know before I assign a new e-mail address?
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Dumping AOL - Help with creating a new e-mail address.

Gmail is great (www.googlemail.com). See this thread for some other opinons:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ree-email.html

As for firewall, zonealarm is pretty good, and there is a free version of it available.http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/home.jsp

Comment

Yep, I use and recommend Gmail and ZoneAlarm (and Grisoft AVG for virus protection).

Comment

Are you able to sign up for GMail now, or do you still need an invitation? I rarely use those except to get myself more accounts, so I've got probably 100 lying around; I'm pretty sure I could spare you one.

ZoneAlarm is one of the best I've used. My favorite is pf, but that doesn't exist outside of BSD.
        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Yeah I have a ton of invites as well. If someone wants a GMail account send me a PM with your email addy and I will hook you up.
          Retired 6th DB

Comment

Don't forget, you have a TG email address.

Comment

Nah you don't need an invite for gmail anymore.

Comment

I suggest getting Kerio Personal Firewall. It's technically demo-ware. For 30 days you get the pay-for baubles, but after it reverts to the free version it still rocks. It's the first thing I install on a Windows build. Kerio quit working on it and sold the rights to a group named Sunbelt Software, so when you search for it, that's the branding to seek.

Pros:
                • It controls system behavior, too, so not only does it block the outside, but it keeps your stuff from phoning home without permission, and if you want it to, it will alert you whenever a program wants to run, launch another, or changes checksums... that lets you stop annoying behaviors (like programs loading browser windows spontaneously) and can catch anything that modifies your EXE files.
                • Lets you choose how much involvement you want with the program; you can micromanage or just let it do the basics and not bother you too much.

Cons:
                • If you build rules on all new events (the best way to roll) you will be defining a lot of rules for the first few days -- The GIMP uses so many little apps you'll be making rules all day -- and you can do silly stuff if you're not careful. (If you tell KPF to deny Run DLL As App, trying to change the clock throws the "Admin credential required" error. :D)
                • After it reverts to free, it won't be friendly to Windows' innate connection shairing, but if you have a router that won't matter.

Need to knows:
                • Install with Advanced mode, because Basic is harder to adjust, and the default behaviors are a bit over-restrictive.
                • Turn off address resolution in the GUI.

Comment

Hey, does gmail synch with outlook? thanks.

Comment

Don't ever use Outlook. GMail does provide POP3 and SMTP service, though, so yes.
                    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I suggest Gmail, ZoneAlarm firewall, AVG free antivirus, and AdAware anti-spyware.

www.gmail.com

ZoneAlarm (make sure to install the free basic version, and NOT the big trial version): http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...337_000_en.exe

AVG: http://free.grisoft.com

AdAware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/...e_personal.php

I think that these applications will protect you from the vast majority of internet hazards.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                        I think that these applications will protect you from the vast majority of internet hazards.
                        These and some basic knowledge of how the internet works.
                        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Yahoo Mail users are a headache for many sites. For example, if I send a multi-line confirmation link, I wrap it in angle brackets to denote the start and end of the link. Yahoo treats the closing ">" as part of the link and the user gets a 404.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X