Poof!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poof!

Ok, so taking the advice of a previous thread I went out and dropped a couple bucks on a pair of 8800GTS as an upgrade. Had it running great for about 48 hours and then bam, my computer turned into a fireball! The lower card was shooting, yes actually shooting, flames downward in my rig.

I guess I was lucky because the fact that I was running liquid coolant. The fire melted the coolant lines which quickly extinguished the fire. The second card was not damaged. Now it was not a power issue, I tested my voltages immediately following, on my power supply with a meter. It was also not a heat issue, the cards are running very low temps. After looking at the burn area on the card it appears to come from the back of the card somewhere.

Anyway, I called BFG and they laughed. They explained they had never heard of that. Of course, I told them I care less if they have ever heard of it, only if they were going to exchange it. Thankfully they agreed to send me a new card as a replacement immediately, which kinda cool since it was the weekend.

Has anyone ever seen something like this happen?
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: Poof!

i had a power supply fail in much the same fashion, blowing fire out of the back fan port. It destroyed my entire machine. I vowed never to buy a cheap power supply again.
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

lol same here with a PS.. the frakin guy didnt believe me either,, so i took the whole box down to him and told him to plug it in,, LOL he believed me then,, fill the place with smoke...

and that was a antec PS,,, he replaced it no questions asked,, hell he better have, it was only 2 days old lol,, and he installed it to beat :)

Comment

The rest of your machine is okay???

Comment

My father used to be a chemistry teacher in highschool, but now he's retired. When i would get fed up with my old PCs, my Father and I would put a heat reacting icid into the hard drive, we would take it outside, get an extension cable for the power and turn on the PC. Would only take seconds before the whole would light itself on fire.

But, I've never actually had my PC start to smoke up because of the power supply.
          AKA
          USMCSierraJuan
          Sierra_6177

Defabian

Comment

I don't think it was his power supply. He said it was one of the GPUs.

Comment

Nah, the overall computer is ok. Just the video car is toast.
              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I want pics!

Comment

Check your card to see if you can figure where the fire started from. Did one of the capacitators blow and light a fire on something flammable?

Was perhaps the leak there before the fire(causing a short circuit)?
                  --
                  VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

its stories like these that give me nightmares...

Comment

Jeez. Ill be turning my computer off at night from now on....

Comment

Sounds like a circuit overload. Make sure your computer is plugged into a surge rated UPS or surge protected outlet.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

mosfets (little black boxes on the card) can explode into flames when recieving too much voltage. could be a simple hardware defect, or a ground somewhere that changed the voltage being sent. case cooling may be an issue as well.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hope it wasn't caused by something defective in the mobo/power cables. Else it will be the 4th of July part II

Comment

I've never experienced issues with the cables running from the PSU to components. If that is the issue, then I'd start looking at a new PSU and a few days spent without a working system.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X