Syncing multiple user accounts on multiple WinXP machines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncing multiple user accounts on multiple WinXP machines

I have three machines running WinXP Pro on my home network. On each machine there are multiple user accounts, one for myself and one for my wife.

I find that after installing applications on my user account, many aren't available (as installed) on my wife's account. A few applications ask if the installation is for myself or all users. These programs aren't the issue. I would like for a majority of the applications (e.g. firefox) installed to be available for all user accounts. Is there a simple way of accomplishing this?
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Syncing multiple user accounts on multiple WinXP machines

the first thing I would do is check the permissions for the program. (im sure you know this already but just in case) right click the program exe and go to security tab and add user or group you want to allow access use to the program.

Comment

Originally posted by JollietJake View Post
      the first thing I would do is check the permissions for the program. (im sure you know this already but just in case) right click the program exe and go to security tab and add user or group you want to allow access use to the program.
      It's not really a matter of permissions actually. I can run programs from both accounts.

What I would like sync'd are things like the start menu, desktop, etc.

In addition, I'd also like things like firefox plugins to show up for all users.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

This is up to the installer program. It is responsible for installing the shortcuts to the appropriate places.

The easiest thing to do if the installer doesn't is place a shortcut to your desktop to the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop".

To make them show up in the specific places drag the individual them to the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu" and/or "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop". To make this easy you can create a shortcut on your desktop to these places.
        I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
          It's not really a matter of permissions actually. I can run programs from both accounts.

What I would like sync'd are things like the start menu, desktop, etc.

In addition, I'd also like things like firefox plugins to show up for all users.
          sorry about that I misunderstood what you wanted to do. El_Gringo's suggestion is a good one.

Comment

If you use NTFS, you might want to consider using junctions.

They allow you to create a symbolic link to a directory. This is transparent to applications (including explorer).

So you could point c:\Documents and Setting\anyuser\Desktop to a common folder, then ( in theory) all users would share the same desktop (read/write if the permissions are set right). I've played with junctions before ( to move applications from one drive to another without re-installing; the application thinks it's on C: but it's on another drive ), but not in this manner. You might want to create a dummy user and try it out.

There might be another way to do this with the Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), but I've never played with this.

HTH

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Watch out for the evil Desktop Cleanup Wizard. I got burned by it on a machine used by several users, when I elected to "clean" the Administrator's desktop. It proceeded to remove shortcuts from the All Users area, not just the Administrator's own desktop.

If you have write access to All Users, turn that thing off! Right-click on the Desktop, select Properties, then the Desktop tab, then the Customize Desktop button, and deselect the checkbox to periodically run the cleanup wizard.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X