Home theatre audio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home theatre audio

Can anyone please recommend an amp and speakers (Center and 4 Surround) for under US$1000 if they care to? I want to hook it up to a Projection TV, DVD, Xbox and maybe my computer. Thanks!

Re: Home theatre audio

If you can find an adapter for PC surround sound speakers, Logitech 5.1 surround all the way. I've watched quite a few action videos with them and OMGOMOMG it's soo cool! No matter where I am, they sound like the real home theater speakers.

Comment

ok, first, if you want the best... and cant afford bose or harmon kardin,

and infinity center channel (tri-6" rdrivers and 2 1" tweets)
      cerwin-vega sub 12" powered at least
      yamaha 600W decoder
      polk audio stereo and surround

OR.....................

www.crutchfield.com
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
        OR.....................

www.crutchfield.com
        Have you ever bought from them??

Comment

Originally posted by LOWDRAG
          Have you ever bought from them??
          I haven't, but they're pretty well respected and their prices aren't bad.

For home audio, I have and highly recommend an Onkyo receiver and Infinity speakers. I'd spend as much as possible on the receiver and then fit the speakers into the budget, as you can always upgrade your speakers later...

The only other receivers that I would recommend are from Yamaha and Harmon-Kardon. Stay away from Sony, Kenwood and any of the cheaper brands... You really get what you pay for and Onkyo, Yamaha and Harmon all use high quality discrete circuitry in their amplifiers.

Speakers are a bit more of a personal preference. If size is an issue, then Bose makes some spectacular little bastards. Their size isn't enough to justify their inferior sound FOR ME. A lot of people think they sound great, though. Infinity, Polk, Boston Acoustics, Cambridge Soundworks, Atlantic, Klipsch, hell, I know I'm forgetting some good speaker companies... They all make great speakers. Some of them also make some really cheap (both in price and quality) speakers, as well...

I highly recommend you go to a store to shop for home theater equipment. You have to listen to the equipment before you can make a good decision. If you don't currently have a decent home audio setup, then you might be happy with one of the $500 "home theater in a box" deals that are out there: Like this.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I've bought a lot of stuff from Crutchfield as well as HiFi.com.

I have a Sony ES receiver and I ended up going with all Boston Acoustics speakers. I bought the Lynnfield VR series tower speakers for my home theatre as well as for the surrounds. I'm pretty happy with them overall.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I own the RCA Pro series system 500 watt dts souroundsound am /fm amp. Sepreate Dual cassete and a 50+1 CD player all hooked into my DVD player/ VCR a second 5 disk CD player and 19" RCA TV as well as my PS2....

I'm running two Fisher 500 watt 3' tower Speakers for the front channel with 15" woffers and a sony surround speaker system for the center/rear and subwoofer.....

Total cost $700 for the system Fisher Speakers where hand me downs and the sonys i bought used for $50

Also I have replaced the original RCA 25amp fuses with Radio Shacks High Output 25amp fuses. These last longer and have a much better even load do to a thicker loadrod inside the fuse.

Comment

Just make sure whatever you get has DTS. The sound is way better.

I'm actually disapointed when watching movies that are ONLY 5.1 encoded and not DTS.

Frigging spoiled...
                Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Originally posted by GhostintheShell
                  Just make sure whatever you get has DTS. The sound is way better.
                  Oh, yeah, sound encoding is almost as important as the hardware.

Comment

Geez, thanks a lot to you all!

Hey Ghost, you currently own a WRX right? Have you driven an STI yet? I drove both often for a year and I'll bet you'd trade up if you like your WRX, who wouldn't.

Thanks again for all your input everyone, feel free to keep the advice coming though... I'm just starting to learn about this stuff so I can make a reasonably educated decision but time is short for liesure activities these days unfortunately...:icon12:

Comment

My WRX already has more hp and torque than an STi, but I'm missing all the trick stuff like better brakes and suspension. I still love the STi though and will probably trade up as soon as I'm done with this one. Its a fantastic car.
                      Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.

Comment

Originally posted by IceCold
                        Oh, yeah, sound encoding is almost as important as the hardware.
                        But any good receiver is going to have Dolby Digital and DTS and stuff...

If you want to make sure your receiver is top notch, find out if it's THX certified. Trust me, if it's that good, it'll have a THX decal on the front of it somewhere...
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I just did a little looking around and it seems that Kenwood has really improved the quality of some of its receivers. I also forgot to mention Denon as a good receiver.

DeRanger, you may want to invest in a few bucks to get these: https://secure.stereophile.com/homet...ersguide.shtml

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/buying_gui...eceivers.shtml

http://www.onhometheater.com/features/20020301.htm

Good article on the importance of hardware quality:
                          http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/blowing/index-j.html

And a collection of links to articles, including the ones above: :icon23:
                          http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_A...iver_Articles/
                          Last edited by CingularDuality; 06-25-2004, 10:11 PM.
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

THX certified is the best but he won't get a THX setup for $1000.

BTW, check out Kenwoods new receiver / Xvid player...Mpeg4, OggVorbis...ethernet connectivity to your home network. Whee!

Gizmodo - Link to Kenwood Receiver

Comment

Originally posted by GhostintheShell
                              THX certified is the best but he won't get a THX setup for $1000.
                              Nope, not unless he wants to start with cheap speakers and upgrade as he has the money...

I suppose it all depends on what he's looking for. If he wants his living room to sound as good or better than a movie theater, then it's gonna cost him a couple grand. If he just wants some basic surround sound that doesn't sound perfect (or loud), then the home theater in a box is a good deal...
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X