Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Managament

I have run into a DRM nightmare.

Have found workarounds for most of it but in the end I have about 3000 music files. A bunch of them are named the same like "Track 01.mp3" , "Track 02.mp3" etc.

Does any body know a good app that would allow me to consolidate this mess and also provide an easy way to enter the mp3 tag information?

I have found a couple of .NET framework apps with source that provide a good start but I really don't want to work that hard.

Free is best of course but I don't mind spending a couple of bucks to get the job done.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: File Managament

http://musicbrainz.org/

Comment

I've been happy with Media Monkey for manipulating tags and filenames, but you need at least some info to start with. If you know the artist and album, you are most of the way there.
      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I'm not sure how CDex matches albums up with info from the CDDB, but it has always been right on for me. It would only take a couple of seconds to name all the tracks in each album if they're already separated that way...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Media - Monkey is pretty cool. I think I will use that, thanks Icky!

But MusicBrains Picard is amazing and I don't even know what it does! Tell it to analyze a file and it finds the the album it belongs in and puts it there. I don't know how. Some it can't find but a surprising number it accurately placed in the correct album. There was only the mis-spelled file name (westend grls.mp3) and it put it in the correct Album! I know this song came from a compilation because I ripped it from it many years ago. Think about that,West End Girls from the pet shop boys has been on multiple albums but it picked the correct one.

Maybe it is just coincidence but I am amazed. And the program is only .7.2 Still rough around the edges but still nice.
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I think it has some sort of system for "fingerprinting" songs. Often two copies of the same song on different albums will not be carbon copies of each other, so that would explain the correct album choice.
            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Wow, Picard is absolutely amazing.
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yes, it actually uses a hashing algorithm to create a unique hash for each track. That hash is then compared to the database for a hit. Since these are digital files, theoretically the hash/match should be straightforward. The difficulty comes in because mp3 is a lossy compression. So, the hash for a track compressed using 192kbps will be different than one that is compressed @ 128kbps or @ 64kbps. Also, I am not sure if each mp3 encoder will encode a track exactly the same, so there could be hash differences there as well.

Certainly an interesting technology!
                Twisted Firestarter
                a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                sigpic

Comment

Hmm interesting. I figured it used a database for comparison, but didn't know it created an individual hash id for each track. Wow, so when it creates this "hash", how does it know which song is which?
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

People build up the database.
                    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

When you rip a CD does it take the digital information from the cd then compress that or does it compress the music itself?

Comment

I'm fairly sure it's based on the audio itself, since it'll match any song you have against the database.
                        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I've used automated systems like that but found that they sometimes leave me crying. I had an AC/DC box set and the naming convention for each of the CDs in the database was different. That's why I fell for Media Monkey and it's Amazon.com lookup. A little bit of automation and a little bit of human intervention makes it easy.

I would love to have a little bit of song fingerprinting thrown into the mix tho. ;)
                          Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Hmm, I'm worried about running my collection through Media Monkey or Brainz. I have some independant stuff (some of which I don't know the artist or song title to), and I'm just worried it'll confuse those with more popular songs.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              Hmm, I'm worried about running my collection through Media Monkey or Brainz. I have some independant stuff (some of which I don't know the artist or song title to), and I'm just worried it'll confuse those with more popular songs.
                              Erm...make a backup before running the app? :D
                              Twisted Firestarter
                              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed