Any opinions on Home Color Laser?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any opinions on Home Color Laser?

Hi Folks..looking to get a Home Color laser since i am Sick of the Ink Jets lasting a year or so and having to be replaced...

Anyone have one and want to give pro's and cons.. Pleas let me know..

THanks!
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: Any opinions on Home Color Laser?

I can't say anything about colour, but yeah... monochromatic at least, laser is all about a high introductory cost, but a pittance for marginal. And since printers are something you want to buy once, use a lot, and not need to feed more than just a ream of paper once in a while, that's the way to play. Ink Jet is nothing but a nasty relic of the time when that was the only way to print color in two cubic feet of desk space.

I've gotta get a laser someday. Everytime I print anything, I feel bad about it. I'm just waiting for an old model to hit the Clearance table at Staples.

Comment

What are you printing? At the office I have access to an HP8550 (big monster, bought used but still going strong after some minor repairs) and I use that for the occasional color document (like an 11x17 WoW map ;)). I almost never need hard copy. I've got a photo printer that came with my Kodak digicam, and have never needed to print anything with it.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Sick of inkjet ?

Read this thread for some insight.

Consider that a typical laser color printer toner replacement will cost a lot (some will run you 70% of the cost of the printer after about 1500 pages). One example here, printer goes for under 300$, toner replacement, black 50$, cyan 44$, yellow 42$, magenta 42$ (newegg)

Shop around, and really think about what you want to do with your printer. 178$ worth of toner for 1500 pages comes to 12 cents a page, then you need to add the cost of paper...

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Kinolta Minolta 2400W. I own it, but currently it sits in the backroom because the ink ran out.

Simple and easy setup. Non resource hogging device monitor which runs in the background. Good quality laser printing in b/w and color. And pretty fast. The only downside is that the printer pauses to cool down after printing 25 pages in a row for about 10 minutes. And of course, it weighs as much as a decent computer system. Otherwise, it prints just over the advertised 1000 pages (was about 1050 pages for me). In terms of time, it lasted almost daily printing for 1.5 years.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I was looking at the Minolta's..they seem to get good reviews also... Thanks
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
              What are you printing?
              I think I was like most who got this Color Printing Itch when the colow printed got cheaper..then realized that I really don't print much in color (or that NEEDS color)...
              Just whatever the Kids decide must be printed from NickJr.com (damn that Dora and her Monkey Boots!!) ...

I have been through HP, Epson and Cannon is Approx 6 years or so... Time to get back to Laser..... (I had an old HP 4p which cost me $1000 back in 1995!!!)
              |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
                I have been through HP, Epson and Cannon is Approx 6 years or so... Time to get back to Laser..... (I had an old HP 4p which cost me $1000 back in 1995!!!)
                I have an HP 4ML [14 years and still going strong] next to an HP Officejet all-in-one, and my kids and wife are set up with the b&w laser as their default. That method has served me well.

I will have quite a send-off when the ML is replaced. It has done everything for me.
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I bought a Brother 2040 monochrome a few months ago for $50. It's a nice little printer. The replacement toner is $35. The few times I need color I use my girlfriends inkjet.

BTW
                  There is a deal going on for a free printer after rebate. I don't know if it is oversold yet, but maybe worth a look.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=536066

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                    I have an HP 4ML [14 years and still going strong]...I will have quite a send-off when the ML is replaced. It has done everything for me.
                    I don't know Icky...The days of the 14 year long life of a printer are long gone I am afraid... My 4P is still in the basement 'sniff..

Oh well..

Thanks for the info!..
                    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

I still have an HP OfficeJet 1150C all the way back from 1995 (brand new @ $800, all-in-one, 150 dpi b/w and color) and it is still in the basement chugging out print after print.

I would try and demo the printer before making a purchase.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

hp laserjet 2605dn

georgeous color and not too expensive.
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X