Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribbon Titles (greasemonkey script)

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
    Another "simple" script someone might try is a "Ribbon Identifier" script. Since we're no longer using the BB-code for ribbons, it'd be nice to have pop-ups indicating what each ribbon is. The script would go through the page and enter the ribbon name as the title... (an objects title is what pops up when you mouse-over it). This way, when you mouse over a ribbon, you can see what it's for. (If you really wanted to get fancy, you could also make the ribbon img clickable - linking to the awarding page for that ribbon)
    With inspiration from my mentor I gave it a whirl and here's what I came up with - ribbontitles.user.js

Basically it just takes the image name squadleader2 of http://www.tacticalgamer.com/images/...uadleader2.jpg and the script adds that name as the title attribute in the image.

TO DO:
    • Complete - Pretty up the text a bit. I'm not sure how I could do that yet, but I'll look into it. Ex. some ribbons are kit-anti-tank-class1. Just make it say Anti Tank Class 1 or something.
    • Linkify each ribbon back to its respective page
    Last edited by jmaker; 06-09-2007, 11:14 PM.

Re: Ribbon Titles (greasemonkey script)

woah!!! slick!!!! :icon14:

Only way I can think of to do #1 is a bunch of if statments... kinda like the way the Forum Icon thing works...

Comment

UPDATE:

Ok it looks like I've got the text figured out. It should be clean now. Just hover over Whiskey's ribbons in his signature to see how it looks. Note that these are the ribbons from http://awards.tg7th.com/ribbons/show-all.php. If anyone has any ribbons displayed from http://www.tacticalgamer.com/images/ribbons and the title text does not display, it's because I can't even access that page to get a complete list.

Original file updated. I'm still working to linkify the ribbons.

Comment

hmmm... seems a lot of people have the ribbons in this format:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/images/ribbons/outstanding-volunteer.jpg

(which I guess is what's generated by the BB code such as [volunteer]?)

J - for any unrecognized images, is it possible for it to just pop up the name of the .jpg instead of "undefined"?

Comment

Very slick! Thanks Jmaker.
          Retired 6th DB

Comment

UPDATE:

Original script updated with links to each respective ribbon thread within the forums. Some ribbons don't have a thread, so the link will just default to that parent forum.

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
            hmmm... seems a lot of people have the ribbons in this format:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/images/ribbons/outstanding-volunteer.jpg

(which I guess is what's generated by the BB code such as [volunteer]?)

J - for any unrecognized images, is it possible for it to just pop up the name of the .jpg instead of "undefined"?
            Yeah I know about that. We need one repository for all ribbons. If I could actually see all images in http://www.tacticalgamer.com/images/ribbons that would help me as well. If anyone has ribbons from here: http://awards.tg7th.com/ribbons/show-all.php, those should work.

Let me see if I can't get a workaround on this issue. I should be able to just default it the name of file like you said Whiskey. Is there anyway you can update my original post?

Comment

UPDATE:

Orginal file updated. The script should now just display the filename no matter where it's located. Let me know if it works for everyone.

Comment

Awesome!! Yep pop-ups and links seem to work great!

Comment

bumpety-bump,

this looks kinda cool, I always wonder what the people are actually good at or if they just like all the colours. (<That IS spelt right)

and, for all us firefox illiterates, can you tell me how to 'install' it? Clicking the link just brings up a page of code.
                  <<<<Magic!!

-F- Concr3te: "Brutus, goddammit, shut up!"

Comment

You need to install the Greasemonkey extension first (Google it) then revisit the script, there should be a yellow bar at the top asking if you want to install it.

I think this script might be somewhat irrelevant soon though.
                    |TG| Lorian
                    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

I don't get it, I only see popups in Wimpinator 's sig... I am using IE6 here at work.

Can somebody please explain what exactly I have to do to get this working. Thx
                      Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Dog View Post
                        I don't get it, I only see popups in Wimpinator 's sig... I am using IE6 here at work.

Can somebody please explain what exactly I have to do to get this working. Thx
                        You have to be using the FireFox browser with the Greasemonkey extension for this script to work.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yeah I guess whenever I posted this I assumed most people know what Greasemonkey is. I thought the ribbons system was overhauled thus making this script obsolete. But from reading that other thread that Ghost Dog bumped, I see that not all ribbons have the pop up enabled when hovered over. The ones in Apophis's signature do, but not some of the others.

I too liked the ability to be able to hover over the ribbons to identify that ribbon. Until it all becomes automated within the forums you may use this little script as a stop gap, but you must have Firefox with the Greasemonkey extension installed. Even then it won't display every single ribbon, only ones I've entered into a predefined list within the script. So it won't show the one in Cing's signature. It's mostly just the Battlefield ribbons.

Comment

So is anyone working on incorporating the hover over titles for the ribbons into the forums? I think it makes the ribbons alot more meaningful to be able to identify what each ribbon was awarded for. I feel like this is something that ribbon recipients throughout the community would like to see happen.

| |

Comment

Yes they were working on it. I'm not sure what the status of that is now.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X