Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tidy Quoted PM (Greasemonkey script)

Just a small script this time - tidyQuotedPM.user.js

This script simply moves any quoted text in a PM down 3 lines and sets the cursor at the very beginning of the textarea. This way you can start typing right away after you hit the reply button, instead of having to set the position with the mouse and hit enter a couple of times. I know, not very groundbreaking, but it's useful.

Re: Tidy Quoted PM (Greasemonkey script)

Useful and timely. I was just realizing what an annoyance it was to do it the old way. Thanks!
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

:icon14: nice work!

Comment

I just noticed that when sending a new PM it still moves down 3 lines. I will correct this later after I get home from work.

Comment

UPDATE: Original file updated.

Now when sending a new PM, the cursor is automatically set to the recipient username text box.

Comment

Very nice! I think I may have to get into the fun.

Comment

Ugh... Promoting top posting is just wrong...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I've debated and hemmed and hawed about giving JMaker neg rep for this script and haven't been able to pull the trigger because I don't want to discourage anyone from writing scripts. Even horrible ones like this one.
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

????

emails are new-stuff at the top, why not PM's?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                    ????

emails are new-stuff at the top, why not PM's?
                    What? Microsoft emails are like that. Maybe a few others, but it's generally not accepted. ESPECIALLY on USENET.
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

o_0 I've never seen an email app (including Thunderbird and others) or web inerface that doesn't put the quoted email at the bottom....

this USENET you speak of.... how much does one cost and how may I obtain one? :p ;)

Comment

nice job bro..:)

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                          o_0 I've never seen an email app (including Thunderbird and others) or web inerface that doesn't put the quoted email at the bottom....
                          You've only been using email for the last ten years then?
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

You've debated for almost a year on whether to give me negative rep because of a stupid little script that makes it easier to reply in a PM? And then you revive this thread to share your ambivalence on the subject? Who cares that it moves the quote to the bottom? These are just private messages, not multiple back and forth communications like Usenet or even email. I didn't see it being useful for more than a quick reply anyway, so I don't see what the big fuss is over.

You've already given negative rep publicly so you might as well and just do it privately too.

Comment

Cing leaves out an important point: Top posting encourages full quoting, no trimming. Imagine if every post in this thread included every post that went before. You'd need to scroll for days to get to the bottom.

Also, top-posting over a long message either loses context by not specifying the exact point being addressed, or by replying to multiple points without tying each reply point back to its source point.

In point-to-point (one sender and one recipient) messaging, interleaved quoting with aggressive stripping of irrelevant material is the way to go.

That said, in business mail, where there are many senders and many recipients and new correspondents can join at any time, top posting with full quoting becomes necessary because those who join the interchange late need the full context of what went before. Note that this doesn't apply to mailing lists, newsgroups, and forums, because in those media one can easily review past traffic without requiring that it be carried with every message.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X