Good Headphones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Headphones

Hey folks, some of you may remember me, some may not. Either way, i'm looking for recomendations on a good set of headphones. Brands to stay away from or stay near? A specific model that offers good quality sound? Really any advice you have? My new job has me sitting in an office all day and the headphones i have now start to hurt my ears after about 4 hours, the other pair i have pick up static and interference from whatever computer i plug them into. I'm willing to spend some money on them as i will be using them everyday, but nothing outrageous. Thanks in advance for any help.
    "The electric Yellow's got me by the brain banana!"

Re: Good Headphones

My advise is as follows:

• Avoid Sony. Like the plague. A plague that drinks your beer.
    • Pay for quality, but remember that deminishing returns kicks in around $70.
    • If you're torn between two similar models, go with the larger drivers. 40 and 50mm rock.
    • If you go high-end, watch the impedence. Generally you'll see 8Ω, which is walkman-grade, 32Ω, which is medium, and 200Ω+ which is high end, and demands an amplifier.

Currently I'm wearing these, the Sentry 880CD. Sentry is a cheapstuff brand, and indeed, I only paid about twelve bucks for 'em, but I bought two pairs because it's basically a knockoff of my old Panasonics. Long-long cord, 50mm drivers, and on-cord volume control = win in my book. I haven't taken 'em head-to-head against pro-grade cans to say just how good the sound quality is, but it's plenty good for my needs until I decide to throw a few hundred into a real pair of phones.

Oh, and stay away from Sony.

Comment

I use a Sennheiser PC 160, and it has served me very well. Split I/O jacks, on-cable volume control, and a comfy, adjustable fit. Sennheiser in general makes a good product.
      In game handle: Steel Scion
      sigpic

Comment

Here's what I have. My friend was so impressed that he made me buy him a pair (with my then discount working at bby)

Sony MDR-V700

The sound quality is spectacular. They're studio monitoring/DJ head phones though, not standard stuff. Retail was 150 when i bought them.

Found a review online. http://gear.ign.com/articles/307/307139p1.html

I've had them for about 4 years. My only complaint is the pressure on the ears if you play for more than 12 hours (which you really shouldn't do).
        |TG|Switch

Better known as:
        That noob who crashed the chopper.
        That noob who ran over the mine.
        That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
        That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Hmm,

A little pricey, but I use Ultrasone for both listening casually, and in music production applications. I wouldn't go for professional grade cans for everyday, as the flat response will tire your ears out after a while, until you train them. Their HFI range are very comfortable and they literally are the best sounding headphones available.

*note, this post assumes you want headphones, not a headset with a mic*
          Do or do not, there is no try....
          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

What are you using the headphones for?
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Every recording studio I have ever been to use Sony MDR 7000 series headphones. I use the 7506. The nicer ones are 7509. They are completely flat, you get whatever you put in.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/...ony+headphones

Comment

I need the headphones for work. My new job has me sitting in on office for hours. My headphones currently start to hurt my ears after about 5 hours. when that happens i have to switch to a set of ear buds that pick up a lot of static and interference from the PC i plug them into, and hurt my ears in a different location. they would primarily be used for music at work. Comfort is a must, at they will be worn for hours on end every day. sSound quality has to be decent as well. I might use them for gaming if they turn out to be ultra comfy.
                "The electric Yellow's got me by the brain banana!"

Comment

MDR-7506/9 might be Sony's one quality pair, but I speak of anything in a retail store. They're all ready-to-break and distorted, as I've had three or four of them and I can't bear to have them on my ears anymore.

Comment

Although they are popular, I would advise against ear buds of any make. Specially the ones that effectively block your ear canal. They produce a lot of sound pressure and can cause damage. Ear cupping phones are generally much better for your hearing long term.
                    Do or do not, there is no try....
                    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Open-air cans are the best of the best; little/no internal echos and they don't pose the pressure problem. Of course, the deaf granny next door will hear your jams, and you'll hear her game shows blaring. Cest la vie.

Comment

I would add the Interwise company to your list. They're made for bussiness and have good sound quality in my opinion. Although they're made for communication, I think you should check them out.
                        |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow-Asterisk View Post
                          I need the headphones for work. My new job has me sitting in on office for hours. My headphones currently start to hurt my ears after about 5 hours. when that happens i have to switch to a set of ear buds that pick up a lot of static and interference from the PC i plug them into, and hurt my ears in a different location. they would primarily be used for music at work. Comfort is a must, at they will be worn for hours on end every day. sSound quality has to be decent as well. I might use them for gaming if they turn out to be ultra comfy.
                          People do not use the MDR-7506/9 for professional mixing and sound quality. Although the sound is above average. People wear them because they spend months and months wearing them recording. If you go to guitar center or some place like that, you'll see that they are like having Angelina Jolie gently stroking your ear.

Comment

I had a rare pair of headphones (as in even the internet hardly mentions their existence, despite being made by a at-the-time audiophile outfit) that squeezed so tightly (metal band construction) it crushed to death the flesh on a spot of my left ear. Hence my picking up those el-cheapo Sentry jobs.

A pity, they sounded good and gave huge volume on almost no current; they must be 4Ω impedence or something.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X