External HD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External HD

I have 150gb external connected via firewire to a XP SP2 machine. Everytime I turn the EHD on windows tells me it's unable to install the device properly and asks me to search for drivers. Anyone know a way I can turn this alarm off? It's getting rather annoying.

Re: External HD

Does it in fact work? Are you just trying to silence an error on a known non-functional device? If so, you should be able to cancel the driver install and it'll stop asking.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

It is a functional device and works very well. I can cancel the prompt but it's every time I turn my machine on or I turn the external drive on I get this. Like I said it's more of an annoyance than an issue. I was just hoping someone else with an external was getting this same prompt and all I need to do is mark a check box to turn it off that I haven't been able to find.

Comment

What brand is the HD? I've got a Maxtor and there's a dialog box to unlock the drive every time I start/connect it. Check out the manufacturer's website and see if they have and drivers to download.

Comment

My WD drive had a small util that solved any kind off problems. Check the website it probably has something similar.
          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Is it just a drive, or is there a "backup button" on it? It's possible it's asking for the driver for the button, not the drive, and you need to install the driver from the manufacturer for that.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
              Is it just a drive, or is there a "backup button" on it? It's possible it's asking for the driver for the button, not the drive, and you need to install the driver from the manufacturer for that.
              Yes it has a button for backup. The problem with the driver is it's for the USB 2.0 connection but I am using the firewire. After doing pounding research on the manu's site and multiple forums the only way to get rid of the prompt is to use the USB. =(

Thanks guys for your input.
              Last edited by D0ubl3Hel1x; 06-23-2007, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Are you set on firewire or just don't have a usb port available? Just wondering because there is not real difference in firewire and usb 2.0 speed wise, granted firewire is more efficient. If you are doing major video/audio stuff then yes use firewire but other than that USB works just fine.
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

When you turn it off do you disable it in windows first?

If not, try doing that. Look in the systray for an inon that looks like a hard drive with an arrow pointing down and to the left over it.

Double click that and then left click on the hd to select it. Then left click stop.

Once windows is done removing all links to that device etc it will inform you that it is safe to remove the device. Turn it off and then back on and see if you get the error.

Comment

Originally posted by deathknight View Post
                    When you turn it off do you disable it in windows first?

If not, try doing that. Look in the systray for an inon that looks like a hard drive with an arrow pointing down and to the left over it.

Double click that and then left click on the hd to select it. Then left click stop.

Once windows is done removing all links to that device etc it will inform you that it is safe to remove the device. Turn it off and then back on and see if you get the error.
                    worked like a charm!! Thank you!

Comment

I believe there are registry fixes you can perform to get balloons like these to stop appearing altogether, but I'd advise against that because it might force ones that you would like to see from showing up.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X