How do i search for multiple files in one search

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i search for multiple files in one search

I have to search several CDs for one of many files. it there any way i can search for all the files at once, so i dont have to search each CD for each file. I'm using windows XP
    "The electric Yellow's got me by the brain banana!"

Re: How do i search for multiple files in one search

You should be able to search for multiple files separating each filename with a comma and each drive you want to search with a semicolon

For instance if you have two cd drives d: and e: and want to search for all mp3 and wav files

You would put *.mp3, *.wav in the top field that is labeled all or part of the filename and then d:;e: in the lookin field.

Comment

Depending on how often you need to do what you're doing, something like Visual CD might be wroth looking into.

Alternately, a lower-tech solution would be to output a 'dir /s' on a CD's contents to a file, and then sort the files out so you know which CD you need to grab when you get a hit on the text. (Google Desktop would make searching the myriad files simple.)
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I'd recommend against google desktop. Users alot of resources from what I've read online and is a security risk as your files are stored on google servers.

Plus privacy issue as well.

If you need to search multiple cd's for a file and don't want to put the cds in your drive every time (and you will do this alot) the dir /s will work nicely since you can redirect it to a notepad file. Then just do a search in that notepad file or word file for the files you need.

Syntax would be dir <drive letter> /s >> <filename>
        So if you wanted to do a directory of the cd in your e: drive and save it on your desktop you would type:
        dir e: /s >> "c:\documents and settings\%username%\desktop\<filename>.txt"

replace the <filename> with what you want to name the file

the >> means that new info will be written at the end of the file so you won't lose what you already have in it making it nice to archive multiple cds in one text file

Comment

Originally posted by deathknight View Post
          I'd recommend against google desktop... as your files are stored on google servers.
          FWIW, from 10 Google Myths:
          Google Desktop indexes your files and uploads the index to Google's servers.

No. Google stores the index on your computer. If you enable a feature called "search across computers", Google will securely send copies of your indexed files to Google servers. The feature is disabled by default.
          Yellow, once you've got the file others here have taught you to build, you can search it using another commandline:

findstr whateveryouwanttofind filename.txt
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I think this will be a one time deal, but i might do that text logging anyhow in case this project needs me to search these again. Thanks everyone.
            "The electric Yellow's got me by the brain banana!"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X