Cooling solution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling solution?

Anyone have a good PCI/AGP cooling fan or some other cooling solution (preferably simple) for their PC? I've been looking around because my old hard drive is overheating since I put a new one next to it; now, finally crashing my computer in the summer.

This is one product I found: http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-wherever-pci-rack.html looks like it could help me place fans closer to the hard drive, but I'm a little confused as to how it's set up exactly and what it can run (though it says anything).

My PC is a Dell 4600i (it looks like the PC models used in CSS and HL2) and I have an open PCI and AGP slot...which are on the other end of my HDDs. Two fans currently running but they are relatively weak. The one that could be replaced (the other is the one the power cord plugs into) currently sucks air out from these metal things that absorb lots of heat (heat sinks?). Money for parts isn't really an issue, but I don't expect to go crazy. Any and all help is much appreciated, thanks!

Re: Cooling solution?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ooling&x=0&y=0

Here are some different solutions for hard drive cooling. I'd recommend reading any reviews you can find online from different tech sites that review products rather than the reviews of users before buying but there should be something in the list you can use to help keep your hard drive cool.

Comment

Oh wow, it hadn't occurred to me that there were special bays to cool the hard drive, thanks. Do you know if most HDDs have a standard measurement, like a CD expansion bay would? If not, I could always get the measuring tape.

EDIT: "You must spread reputation before giving it to deathknight again" lol

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16835150085

I have read some very great reviews from Maximum PC magazine claiming a 10*C drop in temp. This was also the case from.. you know I don't remember what site it was. But it was a O.C. specific website for enthusiasts. But the claim in the second case was a 15*C decrease in temp.

My own personal experience is somewhat skewed I believe since my mobo has been known to exhibit false readings from HDD. I have yet to purchase a new HDD. But as soon as I pickup a new DeskStar I will be using the aforementioned system on that HDD.

Comment

Well, hard drives don't generate too much heat usually, so I sorta doubt its your hard drive's heat causing problems. Is it positioned in a way that could be blocking airflow to the rest of the case? Problem with most Dell PC setups is that they don't give much airflow. So it might be something along those lines. I'd say look at either moving the fan sucking air in or getting a new one.

Comment

I was monitoring the HDD temp with Everest and it was running hot, over 100*F (~38*C). I did remember that my gfx card, which has only plastic heatsinks, used to always run so hot that it crashed, so I bought a PCI fan to cool it yesterday.

My general thinking with the HDD is that the old one which can't take the heat and is generating it the most is now boxed in by a new HDD. And, the only fans that operate cool the motherboard/CPU on the farthest point from the hard drives. So, I'm basically assuming that's a problem and trying to take some action, so long as it's useful. And you're right, there's only one small vent for air to pass out of right under the vid card in my Dell. So I may need a drill.... :p

Comment

I currently employ this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835888105 on one of my hotter Maxtor hard drives. It works well. It has brought the temp down from 39C to 30C during heavy loads.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X